Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 10:29 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Cheaper living is not the goal. Higher salaries are the goal. Move to where you can make the most. The price of stuff is often set outside of whatever cheap place you may live. VT fails on cheap and on high salaries. Forget about retirement, retirement was a pyramid scheme that has come and gone. Best to find yourself white collar work that can be done well into old age.
We planned and prepared for retirement, saved, worked where salaries were high, researched where we wanted to live, and our reasons for living there. We visited various areas, stayed in some for extended period, checked out the community, groceries, insurance costs, etc. We retired recently and are very happy with our decision. Retirement is still an attainable goal, you just have to work, plan and save.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:28 PM

28 posts, read 76,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
My move to Vermont has been an epiphany. Because I don't have a ton of cash I live in a small place and drive a couple of old cars. I've been forced to give up a more luxurious lifestyle, and you know what? I'm happier than ever. I live in a very small log cabin, which five years ago would have seem unacceptable. Now I wonder what the heck I was doing in such a big house before.

Cars? I don't care who makes them or what they look like as long as they get up my driveway. Instead of sitting in suburban traffic I can drive at a nice pace and see the Adirindacks to my left and the Green Mountains to my right. I sit on my porch in the morning and just enjoy nature. It's peaceful, it's serene and it's what I was made for (not to mention its free). I can breathe. It's as if a weight was lifted from my shoulder.

Meanwhile people all over the country are going into debt and working overtime to buy a BMW instead of a Honda so their neighbors won't think they are poor. Buying palaces that do nothing but ensure family members don't have to sit near each other. Commuting 90 minutes to work, stuck in a sea of red and white headlights. You know, the American dream. As Suze Orman says, "trying to impress people you don't know or even like".

Yeah the taxes are high here, so get a small place. You know, maybe the size of houses in every country in the world except America. Drive a cheaper car. Give up a few material items so you bask in the beauty of this place.

Yeah, we probably get suckered by a few freeloaders, but we do our best to help those in need. I'd rather err in this direction.

Vermonters like to talk about flatlanders, but flatlanders are the ones that actually choose to live here. And are happy here. Half of the native electricians, furnace guys etc that come to my house tell me they can't
wait to leave. I have never heard such conspiracy theories about politicians. My advice would be to leave. See the rest of the world.
You'll soon see Vermont has a lot to offer.

Yeah I would love to see laws that would require people clean up their yards, out of the respect to the land, which IS Vermont. I couldn't care less who's on the deed. I don't care about anyone's rights. If you want to talk about rights and the pursuit of happiness, how about the right to not live by homes with rusty bedsprings and rusty refrigerators in the front yard. I'm willing to give up some of my freedom to make sure we look after this place. I love Vermont and want to keep it beautiful.

I'm back to basics not because I was disciplined enough to give up everything, I had to make a few adjustments. I have plenty to eat and live in a palace, compared to most of the world. I get a kick out of buying local foods and helping another family. When I'm on my deathbed I won't be thinking about money or stock. I'll think about sitting on the porch with my wife every moring and just being blown away by the beauty of it all.

This place has been a blessing.

Thank you so much for this. I live in Northern Virginia and I CANNOT wait to move to Vermont. I have done such a good job of accepting this place and telling myself there is no better place to live, but I'm burned out.
Entire neighborhoods are being ruined by mcmansions and strip malls.
I have earned a good living here and had lots of fun, but it's over for me.
Vermont, please be there when I am ready to move and finally have real friends and a real life.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:32 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,892 times
Awesome post Quickdraw!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:20 PM

82 posts, read 229,557 times
"Thank you so much for this. I live in Northern Virginia and I CANNOT wait to move to Vermont. I have done such a good job of accepting this place and telling myself there is no better place to live, but I'm burned out.
Vermont, please be there when I am ready to move and finally have real friends and a real life."

LOL. This sentiment is often initially expressed and then the bitterness quickly sets in. They don't call it "Southern Hospitality" for nothing. Every time I come back from VA, I am blown away by how standoffish (and for no good reason) Vters are, which is fine, because I'm not especially interested in chat them up either. Though being that I am one of the ten people in the state with some disposable income (which I often choose to spend outside the state) the mindset of the people baffles me!

Old 11-05-2009, 05:53 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialstreet View Post
Though being that I am one of the ten people in the state with some disposable income (which I often choose to spend outside the state) the mindset of the people baffles me!
Should the mindset of the people change because you have some disposable income? If they changed their mindset solely for that reason, wouldn't that make them false friends, leeches and sycophants?

I do well, live in two states. I don't want to be treated differently, but by virtue of not being full time, it sometimes happens. It is my desire to fit in, not stand out; many of the Vermonters I have come to know are not flashy and in your face; their nature might be more guarded at first until they come to know you. Personally, I don't blame them for being cautious -- there are a lot of annoying people out there who feel 'entitled' to keep VT as their personal playground.

This forum has been very educational for me as I learn to assimilate -- I have no desire to bring LI or NY to VT. I am learning a lot more about taxation, development, anti-corporate sentiment, and that which many VTers feel holds the state back.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:16 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times
Quote:
Every time I come back from VA, I am blown away by how standoffish (and for no good reason) Vters are, which is fine, because I'm not especially interested in chat them up either.
I've heard people say this about Vermont but I've never experienced Vermont people being standoffish. People are chatty! We chat with our neighbors, people who help us at shops and professional services, and more. When I'm out walking my cat, strangers stop to chat. When I take long walks, I can count on a few friendly conversations. Vermont is the first place where I've become really involved in community activities: I found community and community sought me.

Right now my husband is ill and unfortunately I must to go away for a couple of days. A friend I met through work will be staying here the whole weekend to do all the household tasks and help my husband. Friends and acquaintances have insisted on checking in on him and being on call for him 24 hours a day in case he needs anything while I'm gone. AND they've made that same offer for while I'm here to provide me some respite!

I know few people in any state who tell me they have friends and neighbors who will help this way. Usually, it's very small towns or even neighborhoods where people have lived for decades, if not generations. Well, I've been in VT only 12 years and I feel totally embraced.

And this is in Rutland, a town that forum posters trash as worthless and hopeless. Guess it's got some bright spots, too.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
"Thank you so much for this. I live in Northern Virginia and I CANNOT wait to move to Vermont. I have done such a good job of accepting this place and telling myself there is no better place to live, but I'm burned out.
Vermont, please be there when I am ready to move and finally have real friends and a real life."

LOL. This sentiment is often initially expressed and then the bitterness quickly sets in. They don't call it "Southern Hospitality" for nothing. Every time I come back from VA, I am blown away by how standoffish (and for no good reason) Vters are, which is fine, because I'm not especially interested in chat them up either. Though being that I am one of the ten people in the state with some disposable income (which I often choose to spend outside the state) the mindset of the people baffles me!
It sounds like we need to switch places. Exactly where in Northern Virginia are you seeing this "southern hospitality"? I've lived here forty years, and if you are not interested in chatting people up, you should be very happy here. Believe me, Vermont has a MUCH slower pace, and i won't say the people are nicer, (i've never believed in generalizing that way) but you can make friends there and know that you'll still have that friend for more than a couple years. (Nobody stays here except me) Moreover, I don't plan to move unless I am financially and mentally able to handle it.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:15 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff9477 View Post
It sounds like we need to switch places. Exactly where in Northern Virginia are you seeing this "southern hospitality"? I've lived here forty years, and if you are not interested in chatting people up, you should be very happy here. Believe me, Vermont has a MUCH slower pace, and i won't say the people are nicer, (i've never believed in generalizing that way) but you can make friends there and know that you'll still have that friend for more than a couple years. (Nobody stays here except me) Moreover, I don't plan to move unless I am financially and mentally able to handle it.
I understand the southern hospitality thing, but I'm guessing when you say Northern Virginia you mean the DC area. Once you get into the suburbs the whole regional thing goes out the window. You just live in the suburbs, with people from different parts of the country coming and going at an alarmingly fast rate. However, I once stayed in Cheasapeake Virginia for 60 days and I'd have to say I've never seen more hospitable people. Whenever folks found out I was living out of a hotel they always invited me over for a meal.

What do you think of Charlottesville? A lot of people compare Burlington to Charlottesville? The people who owned the house I bought here moved to that area. I had to call them once about the furnace and they said they were glad to be out of Vermont because they "finally got some sun. People talk about Vermont being cold, I can deal with that, it's part of the Vermont package. What I didn't know is how cloudy it is here.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I understand the southern hospitality thing, but I'm guessing when you say Northern Virginia you mean the DC area. Once you get into the suburbs the whole regional thing goes out the window. You just live in the suburbs, with people from different parts of the country coming and going at an alarmingly fast rate. However, I once stayed in Cheasapeake Virginia for 60 days and I'd have to say I've never seen more hospitable people. Whenever folks found out I was living out of a hotel they always invited me over for a meal.

What do you think of Charlottesville? A lot of people compare Burlington to Charlottesville? The people who owned the house I bought here moved to that area. I had to call them once about the furnace and they said they were glad to be out of Vermont because they "finally got some sun. People talk about Vermont being cold, I can deal with that, it's part of the Vermont package. What I didn't know is how cloudy it is here.
I cannot comment on Cheaspeake, but I love Virginia Beach even for it's faults. I can see the similarities between Charlottesville and Burlington. Same size, urban yet rural, etc. Yes Vermont is CLOUDY, and me with my s.a.d., I'd probably have to be medicated or go to the caribbean for six months.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:13 PM

23 posts, read 41,559 times
Im from Connecticut and plan on moving to the Lunenburg area, but not in town. So am I a "flatlander"? The reason for going up there is my friend's family is up there and we are close and Im sick of the yupees and city life in Connecticut. I want to live out in the woods on a few acres, be able to shoot a gun in my yard and ride a dirt bike on my property. Just wondering what the Vermonters on here think about that. Also, Im not liberal, and Im not really into politics but I cant stand development and bringing strip malls in, ect. Is that a liberl view? Or is it the complete opposite? Im just wondering if Vermonters are for developing or againts development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont