Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:33 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Phoenix area (11 years), but am originally from the Hudson Valley area (30 years +). I lived in Bennington back in the late 70's only for a year and liked it, although looking back I don't recall alot about it (I used to go to NY weekends).

Does Bennington feel somewhat like NY (Albany area)as I've heard?

Is it true that there's very little shopping there-- you have to go to Colonie/Albany? 30 minutes away or more?

How far is the nearest major city, located in Vermont, from Bennington?

Are the winters basically like Albany winters?We had alot of winters that varied between little snow, mostly freezing rain and a few big snowfalls.

The way people are--more NY ish versus Vermont ish? Or not?

Thanks for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 09:34 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
My parents lived in Bennington until recently and my sister still lives there, so I can help answer a few of your questions.

1. Does Bennington feel somewhat like NY-this answer will vary, but to me it does. It certainly has a different feel that northern Vermont, where i grew up. Your TV news/weather comes out of Albany, radio is out of Albany, though there are a few local radio stations.

2. Shopping - Bennington has a Wal Mart, Kmart, Penney's, Home Depot, as well as many small mom & pop stores. If you want mall shopping, most people head to either the Berkshire Mall near Pittsfield MA (which is small) or over to Crossgates in Albany.

3. Nearest major city in Vermont? We don't have any. Burlington, our largest city has about 40,000 people, with it's "metro" area having about 150,000. It's about 3 hours north of Bennington.

4. Winters like Albany -sorry, don't know that answer.

5. People - like everwhere in Vermont, you have a mix of "natives" and "transplants". Seems to be more transplants in the Bennington/Manchester area from the NYC area as it's the closest part of Vermont to the city.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:34 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Thanks for your info.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:04 PM

862 posts, read 1,051,497 times
Winters like Albany? Bennington is less than 40 miles from Albany as the crow flies-
same exact weather.Bennington air is quite bad as its downwind from 700.000 people in capitol area.
Truth be known there is little difference anywhere in US anymore.I travel a LOT and
have done so for over 50 yrs.
IMHO the only places in US they are much different culturally are the Upper Peninsula of MI and cajun land of SW-La. Rural central WI has a "old timey" feel to it as it
still has many family farms like VT did 50 -60 years ago.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:00 PM

438 posts, read 1,197,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
Bennington air is quite bad as its downwind from 700.000 people in capitol area.
You think so? I lived there for a good while, and never noticed a problem -- far from it. I think saying it's "quite bad" may be overstating things a bit.

As for winters, I think they're among the mildest you'll find in Vermont -- which is to say that things get chilly, but not as bone-chilling as I've seen elsewhere in Vermont and New Hampshire.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:50 PM

[quote=goldenband;4974421]You think so? I lived there for a good while, and never noticed a problem -- far from it. I think saying it's "quite bad" may be overstating things a bit.

I know so ! I lived with a view of Mt.Anthony from my front window-2 hot days in Summer and you could'nt see the Mt. from 2 miles away thru the air pollution.Same in Arlington BTW

Old 08-27-2008, 05:31 PM

I have family in Bennington that have lived there for years and have never heard them complain about poor air quality. Sure, you get those days in the summer where everything is hazy/muggy/smoggy, but that happens everywhere. I guess everyone has different tolerances for that kind of thing.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I have family in Bennington that have lived there for years and have never heard them complain about poor air quality. Sure, you get those days in the summer where everything is hazy/muggy/smoggy, but that happens everywhere. I guess everyone has different tolerances for that kind of thing.
No doubt. I now live in central Wisconsin in a city 10 times the size of
Bennington where the air quality is much better and there are no hazy/smoggy days.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:25 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Shopping - Bennington has a Wal Mart, Kmart, Penney's, Home Depot, as well as many small mom & pop stores. If you want mall shopping, most people head to either the Berkshire Mall near Pittsfield MA (which is small) or over to Crossgates in Albany.

Wouldn't people go to the outlet mall in Glens Falls or Wilton Mall in Saratoga Springs?

Old 09-02-2008, 06:56 AM

Glens Falls and Saratoga are farther from Bennington than Albany. People do go there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont