Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 01:48 PM

33 posts, read 124,770 times

Advertisements

I posted a similiar question in the New York forum about the Adirondack high peak region but I'll also post to Vermont for a second point of view.

We're thinking about renting a cabin (or camping) in VT during the second week in June. We'll also have our little ones who like to spend most of their day playing with trucks in the dirt. Would anyone strongly suggest July or August to avoid the "Black Fly Season"?

Just to set the scenario for the location and sample of activities we would plan to do. We probably look for a place in the Killington/Pico area, Stowe area, or maybe a bit further south than Rutland. Would anticipate doing some hiking (adults only, little ones at the cabin/campground with grandparents) - Killington Peak, Mt. Mansfield, or other.

If they are more of annoyance that can be dealt with, using proper clothing (not to the extent of bee keeper suits) and repellant, we might be able to deal with that. But if from your experiences they are typically at "drive you crazy mad" levels during that timeframe then I may seriously consider postponing the trip. I had someone familiar with the ADKs recommend postponing during that timeframe but I not sure if Vermont tends to warm up quickier and have an earlier to the black fly mating season (I guess that's when they're at the worst). From what I've read they subside at consistent temperatures higher than about 85 degrees. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 02:05 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
There is sure response to your question as black fly concentrations can vary location to location and of course each year is different. They are primarily a late spring and early summer nuisance breeding in cold running water unlike mosquitoes which breed in stagnant pools of water. I have been out on extended hikes in May and June with no problems and on the other hand have been subject to swarms of them in certain places as late as July. Deet as a repellent (in higher % formula, ie Bens) will work to a degree, but the only sure way to deal with them is to wear long trousers, shirts, and for many even head nets are preferred. Some people are very sensitive to their bites getting painful welts.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:48 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
I wear a head net and wear buzz off clothing -- long sleeves, pants, high socks. I was chewed up something fierce on Mothers Day in 2004. It was mostly around my face, hairline, and ears.

Unfortunately, I am one of the sensitive people. UGH!!!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 06:26 AM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times
If you want to go to the Adirondacks in June I'd suggest Lake George, no black fly problem there. Of course the Adirondack snobs don't think L. George belongs behind the blue line, but whatever. It is a very pretty lake. The South end is a bit honky tonk the North end is nice.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:48 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
I tend not to hike in the Adirondacks, Greens or Whites until after July 4th. Then again you might be in an area where the deerflies will get you. Only thing I hate about New England is the bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: