Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:54 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Yeah, I don't get the Texas thing. People seem to move there in droves, but I've also heard from others, whose opinions I trust, that it's absolutely horrific.

It is, but there are jobs.

(There are, of course, some good parts: Big Bend NP is exceedingly beautiful, for one example)

Old 01-22-2014, 08:20 AM

24 posts, read 45,131 times
After 7 years in Vermont we are moving back south to Asheville, NC. Before living in Vermont we were in the Richmond, VA area. While Vermont is quite beautiful and has a small town feel it is very expensive and the weather has changed in the 7 years we have been there. Summers can be very humid and hot and there is a lack of air conditioning (or the feeling of a need for air conditioning) in most public places. Extremely long winters, warmer summers, poor employment, a disdain for technology (communications) and high taxes with no expectation of becoming lower seem to be what drives most people away.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:28 AM

130 posts, read 276,758 times
#1 Reason to leave VT IMO: Not enough air conditioning!

Actually FYI, VTers would LOVE to be able to actually USE the cell service they pay for but the providers couldn't care less about proper coverage for a tiny population. It's not cost effective for them.

I may start paying my cell bill with the regularity that I get good service around the state and see how they like that……..

Old 02-02-2014, 12:46 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,829 times
I hear lots of complaints about the job market in Vermont, but it has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country? What's the deal with that?

Old 02-02-2014, 05:23 PM

317 posts, read 747,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I hear lots of complaints about the job market in Vermont, but it has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country? What's the deal with that?
Service sector. Waiting tables for the tourists. Lots of menial jobs like that.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:55 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,747 times
Low unemployment because if you don't work you can't live there so only those who work can live there ergo low unemployment. People who wait tables do so out of necessity.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:38 AM

914 posts, read 2,919,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantastiquet View Post
After 7 years in Vermont we are moving back south to Asheville, NC. Before living in Vermont we were in the Richmond, VA area.
Wow, that's something new! those are areas that have seen an influx of easterners over the past two decades, and here you moved to New England! Asheville is a place everyone seems to like once they have visited there. However, I've heard that it can be expensive, and is also a tourist destination, which makes it similar to Vermont.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:25 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Quote:
Wow, that's something new! those are areas that have seen an influx of easterners over the past two decades, and here you moved to New England! Asheville is a place everyone seems to like once they have visited there. However, I've heard that it can be expensive, and is also a tourist destination, which makes it similar to Vermont.

True. Except jobs are harder to come by in Asheville. A larger pool of candidates for that barrista or table bussing job.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:05 AM

24 posts, read 45,131 times
Quote:
Asheville is much cheaper than southern Vermont. Property taxes are about a third of Vermont. Never minded the tourism in Vermont as it keeps the economy moving. It's just not doable anymore due to the weather and cost of living.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:11 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
It's not about the unemployment rate, it's about job creation. If there are no jobs and people leave the state, it's bad for the economy, but good for the unemployment rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont