Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:44 AM

894 posts, read 1,559,045 times

Advertisements

Something doesn't add up. Even if companies can't find qualified locals and hire from out of state that doesn't explain why we see the same jobs posted over and over. I'm guessing what the companies mean to say is they can't find anyone local who will work for their wages thus they look for out of staters who it turns out also won't work for the wages offered. Hence the jobs are unfilled and the businesses don't grow which means other businesses don't grow. At least the vt press is now admitting lean times ahead: Report: Vermont recovery will be slow | burlingtonfreepress.com | The Burlington Free Press

Old 11-12-2009, 10:00 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
I really don't understand how people could not want new people to move to their state. I mean, people moving there is generally a good thing, right? I would love for nothing more than to see Providence hit the 200k mark (or heck, 250K would be awesome).
This is where bashers can end up benefiting any city or state, where, in the end, you want to send them thank-you cards.

Not all cities and state want to grow, they like it the way it is, and any number of them would wish any percentage would just leave, move some place else, and leave their paradise less populated, fewer cars on the road, less competition for the few jobs available.

I'd be more inclined to bash my own city, if it even resulted in any number of people taking my advice seriously and moving elsewhere. And one will never know, perhaps any number of the bashers are homegrown with selfish, ulterior motives.

Last edited by tijlover; 11-12-2009 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 11-13-2009, 03:50 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Same old two stories in VT- We are unable to find qualified employees. And qualified employees unable to find a job.
1. Maybe the employers/employees just aren't finding each other.
2. Perhaps the self identified quality job seekers- are of lower quality then they believe they are.
3. Maybe the wages being offered for professional jobs do not reflect either the COL or wages for the same position 150 miles away.
Makes you go hmmmm. I'd guess mostly number three, but I was in number twos position so maybe it is us losers.
What do those 99 out of 100 graduates know about the living and working conditions where they just trained that cause them to move? We are told Vermont has a high quality of life and Burlington is tops for everything Vermont. How could folks who went to school there not stay- they are being offered jobs? Nothing easier than taking a job where you trained.
Vermont has several things working against it. I'm not listing them in any order. The winters in Vermont are a big turn off to many who come here. I know there are people who love winter or love the cold more than the heat, but that's not the case for the majority. We lose more employees in our department because of the winters than almost any other issue. People like the snow and they like the seasons, but winter just lasts to long.
The pay is not as good as other parts of the country. Our new grads leave and head to states where they can make double the income they can in Vermont. It's understandable from a retirement point of view just in itself. Most healthcare facilities have generous retirment packages and with a higher income it means more goes into retirement. You have to look at it from that point as well. They can retire in their 50-60's while many in Vermont will never be able to afford to retire. Many in Vermont would love to make the incomes we are paid, but I can't blame people for leaving and doubling that number. They get things like student loans paid off that much quicker.
Another issue we have at FAHC is it's the only hospital of its caliber outside of Dartmouth and Maine Med that serves Northern New England. Our patients come from all over Northern New York and Northern New England. The workloads are much higher than what many hospitals experience. Pay also ties into this as well. Why work somewhere when you know you are going to run your tail off for less money than somewhere else where you can make more and have a managable assignment.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:13 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim
I really don't understand how people could not want new people to move to their state. I mean, people moving there is generally a good thing, right? I would love for nothing more than to see Providence hit the 200k mark (or heck, 250K would be awesome).
People don't live in a rural state to have it get crowded with people. There's probably close to 100,000 ex-hippies and their children if any myself and many others would love to see pack up and leave the state. This state was always rural and never wealthy, but it was affordable and there were reasonable opportunities to make a decent living before the invasion...

Old 11-13-2009, 06:44 AM

986 posts, read 2,334,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
People don't live in a rural state to have it get crowded with people. There's probably close to 100,000 ex-hippies and their children if any myself and many others would love to see pack up and leave the state. This state was always rural and never wealthy, but it was affordable and there were reasonable opportunities to make a decent living before the invasion...
I can understand that to a degree, but VT is still rural. And nowhere is anywhere near as affordable as it used to be.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:16 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
I can understand that to a degree, but VT is still rural. And nowhere is anywhere near as affordable as it used to be.
Less rural. My family's old farm is now covered in a subdivision for instance, and more and more farms are going under. Burlington is sprawling and sprawling. Southern VT feels more like a suburban area than rural. And there's more people. Look up the population figures from the 1950's until now. It's rather stunning in light of the fact the economy has been dying here since the time the massive influx of people began.

No place that has been "discovered" by yuppies is still affordable. Areas that have not, still are.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:02 PM

67 posts, read 128,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
momnh - same thing for my spouse's company. The majority of hires come from out of state. They just can't find qualified people around here. These are good high paying jobs too.
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of young people who grew up in Vermont leave Vermont because they want to experience something different. Sure, jobs are a reason, but for me, the reason I left Vermont after school was to try city life. Lots of my friends did the same and are now trickling back to Vermont.
Any engineering jobs up there? We really want to relocate to "somewhere with snow and mountains" . I love Stowe, going there for Christmas. But , reading this thread makes me think there is now way we could find jobs up there.

Oh yeah, I am one of those heat hating people stuck in Florida

Old 11-16-2009, 06:54 PM

894 posts, read 1,559,045 times
The way to enjoy VT is to live and work in Metro NY or Metro Boston and commute up for weekends/holidays.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:54 AM

43 posts, read 55,783 times
Those who just want to complain about the state ('it's all the fault of the hippies" - gosh, doesn't that date them) should go to the forums of the state they like / have moved to / are about to move to, and can then post all sorts of nice positive stuff.
Remember, being negative all the time fills your brain with nasty chemicals!!

Last edited by vter; 12-12-2009 at 03:09 PM..

Old 12-12-2009, 07:10 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiriongwril View Post
Those who just want to complain about the state ('it's all the fault of the hippies" - gosh, doesn't that date them) should go to the forums of the state they like / have moved to / are about to move to, and can then post all sorts of nice positive stuff.
Remember, being negative all the time fills your brain with nasty chemicals!!
Remember, being unrealistic causes severe brain damage which is often passed on to your children.
Also, research shows that wearing rose-colored glasses is the leading cause of blindness in the US.

Last edited by vter; 12-12-2009 at 03:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont