Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:39 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post
I I have to ask: What is exactly a lag switch?! How does it work?
A lag switch can be bought, or built, and it connects inline in your ethernet cable. What it does is temporarily blocks internet traffic on your connection. So during this time your can see yourself moving on screen but online in-game you are standing still. When the switch is turned off, to your opponent, you will suddenly "transport" to a new location as the online in-game and your screen catch up. Most lag switches have a timer, because if lagging to long you will be disconnected.

It's a cheating device, particularly for PS3 and Xbox play. There are You-tube and website devoted to lag switches now - how to build them, how to buy them, how to use them. Sadly, the state of online gaming has come to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 12:08 PM

612 posts, read 1,844,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
A lag switch can be bought, or built, and it connects inline in your ethernet cable. What it does is temporarily blocks internet traffic on your connection. So during this time your can see yourself moving on screen but online in-game you are standing still. When the switch is turned off, to your opponent, you will suddenly "transport" to a new location as the online in-game and your screen catch up. Most lag switches have a timer, because if lagging to long you will be disconnected.

It's a cheating device, particularly for PS3 and Xbox play. There are You-tube and website devoted to lag switches now - how to build them, how to buy them, how to use them. Sadly, the state of online gaming has come to this.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I experience it quite a lot on COD (especially 1v1 cage match). Saw a YouTube video (by Zer0din: look him up on there) and one dude just got headshot after headshot because he lag switch every single time. If it keeps happening, I will be forced to break my game LOL.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:00 PM

65 posts, read 125,392 times
I dont think you can use lag switches in Cod5 i heard if you use it. it automatically disconnect you

Old 07-26-2009, 11:49 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,970,544 times
Been playing this since release, and will play it until MW2 comes out. I mostly play HC FFA, and some HC TDM when my local friends are online. HC FTW!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:45 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,271,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

Is there anything like that going on in Wii land? I know there are guys that know how to hack it.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:43 AM

37 posts, read 75,303 times
I liked Modern Warfare and generally prefer World War II games, but I couldn't get into WaW for some reason. I'd encourage anyone who hasn't done so already to check out Battlefield 1943 which is a download only game for PC, Xbox 360 and I think PS3. $15 bucks, online only, but still a blast. The maps, if you aren't familiar to the series, are larger in scope and include jeeps, tanks, and planes.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:34 PM

BF is good because it's cheap(and fun), but it totally isnt worth it over WaW.

The reason alot of people dont like WaW compared to MW is because the learning curve for MP on WaW is steeper. It takes a good bit longer to get consistently good at WaW and alot of people shelf it before they put in enough time.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:34 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,684,789 times
I reinstalled COD4 modern warfare this weekend. Having a blast. Suprisingly a lot of people still play it.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:19 PM

37 posts, read 75,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
BF is good because it's cheap(and fun), but it totally isnt worth it over WaW.

The reason alot of people dont like WaW compared to MW is because the learning curve for MP on WaW is steeper. It takes a good bit longer to get consistently good at WaW and alot of people shelf it before they put in enough time.
Heh...I played a little bit of Red Orchestra. Talk about your steep learning curve!

WaW just seemed a little cheaper to me than MW, like you could drop five rounds into someone and they'd still be running around like nothing and you get body shot once and you're down, but that could be my imagination. I liked it but I didn't love it.

There was also something about Japanese soldiers running around with Thompsons or Mp40's with "red dot sights" that ruined it for me, but that's obviously a minor quibble.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartrand View Post
Heh...I played a little bit of Red Orchestra. Talk about your steep learning curve!

WaW just seemed a little cheaper to me than MW, like you could drop five rounds into someone and they'd still be running around like nothing and you get body shot once and you're down, but that could be my imagination. I liked it but I didn't love it.

There was also something about Japanese soldiers running around with Thompsons or Mp40's with "red dot sights" that ruined it for me, but that's obviously a minor quibble.
Hardcore modes take care of the problem of unloading into someone and them not dying....that's why I only play HC.

But as far as the guns, there's no such thing as red dot sights in WaW...there are aperture sights, but that is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games