Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 PM

935 posts, read 2,412,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichome View Post
Wait a minute you said "Thank You"....You aint no Yankee
! You're right! LOL, just playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 10,731 times
Maryland is northern to me (I live in Hampton Roads), and is in no way form or fashion southern. While people in Baltimore have accents it is far from a southern accent. Maryland may have some rural parts to it but there is a difference between being rural and being southern. The south and it's culture begins in the counties surrounding Richmond and lower.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS94 View Post
Maryland is northern to me (I live in Hampton Roads), and is in no way form or fashion southern. While people in Baltimore have accents it is far from a southern accent. Maryland may have some rural parts to it but there is a difference between being rural and being southern. The south and it's culture begins in the counties surrounding Richmond and lower.
Ever been to Southern Maryland? Many parts are almost indistinguishable from rural VA or rural VA as it used to be before the days of indoor plumbing.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:39 PM

513 posts, read 962,126 times
South of Fredricksburg is considered South in Virginia. You will start to notice Southern Accents at that point, Nascar, pickup troops, and people who's main hobby is hunting deer.

North of Fredricksbug can commute into Wash DC/Northern Va. Nortern Va has a large influx of people from the North. Viva La Resitance.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:31 AM

91 posts, read 275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
I had an interesting argument with someone recently. They insisted that Alexandria VA was a truely southern town in appearance and culture. I told her that Northern Va had the same southern culture as New Jersey.

In my opinion one has to go to Richmond south to get into the south culture wise. What parts of VA are truely southern in culture?
Yes, northern VA is similar to new jersey. For southern culture, you must go SOUTH of richmond. Virginia Beach, Norfolk... or go out west... roanoke... radford... blacksburg.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:52 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
used to be before the days of indoor plumbing.
You mean the 80s, right?

Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,080,567 times
In Wash DC, many parks, schools, streets, and statues are named for Union Civil War heroes like President Lincoln, Generals Thomas, McPherson, Logan, and Civil War Union cabinet Secretaries Stanton, Blair, Seward, Douglass, Sumner, etc.

But go just 1 mile across the river to Arlington, VA and you start seeing many highways, high schools, parks, and community centers named to honor Confederate General Lee, Generals Jackson, Stuart, Beauregard, Pickett, President Jeff Davis, etc. Ironically, many of the residents there today, and in those schools, are Hispanic, Asian, and African immigrants who haven't a clue what those names mean - they couldn't care less.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:08 PM

9 posts, read 16,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
I had an interesting argument with someone recently. They insisted that Alexandria VA was a truely southern town in appearance and culture. I told her that Northern Va had the same southern culture as New Jersey.

In my opinion one has to go to Richmond south to get into the south culture wise. What parts of VA are truely southern in culture?
Depends on where you are and who you are talking to. Some people born and raised in Virginia who live in the DC metro area don't come across as 'southern'. While others nearby do. The entire Shenandoah Valley is pretty southern and everything on the southern side of I-66. Even still, it's not the southern culture you find down in Georgia. I've yet to find fried green tomatoes anywhere.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:08 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
[quote=voliza;25199285]Depends on where you are and who you are talking to. Some people born and raised in Virginia who live in the DC metro area don't come across as 'southern'. While others nearby do. The entire Shenandoah Valley is pretty southern and everything on the southern side of I-66. Even still, it's not the southern culture you find down in Georgia. I've yet to find fried green tomatoes anywhere.[/quote]

Our local produce stand here in Mount Vernon sells green tomatoes so someone around here must be fryin' 'em. I'll admit to having done it on occasion.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:13 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,248,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voliza View Post
Depends on where you are and who you are talking to. Some people born and raised in Virginia who live in the DC metro area don't come across as 'southern'. While others nearby do. The entire Shenandoah Valley is pretty southern and everything on the southern side of I-66. Even still, it's not the southern culture you find down in Georgia. I've yet to find fried green tomatoes anywhere.
I'm from Georgia and I would say that the Shenandoah Valley is solidly southern just different from Georgia. I'd say that the south starts in Virginia once one is past Manassas to the west and Fredericksburg to the south. I knew a Warrenton native with the deepest southern accent. Although Fredericksburg itself definitely feels different from Springfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia