Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:28 AM

148 posts, read 644,813 times

Advertisements

I had an interesting argument with someone recently. They insisted that Alexandria VA was a truely southern town in appearance and culture. I told her that Northern Va had the same southern culture as New Jersey.

In my opinion one has to go to Richmond south to get into the south culture wise. What parts of VA are truely southern in culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 10:15 PM

23 posts, read 116,760 times
I would love to know this as well! Specifically, I would like to know if people in VA consider themselves to be Southern.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:44 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,119 times
Yes, Virginia is southern. The center of the megalopolis that is Washington D.C. is too cosmopolitan to have anything but a "global" culture, but you don't have to tread far from its epicenter to get into a more southern culture. We've got family in Purcellville and in Winchester and while those are close to D.C. you definitely feel like you're in the south while you're in either.

Although I must admit I'm not quite clear on what southern culture "looks" like. I'm in SWVA, in Franklin County, which was settled originally by a good deal of German Baptists, Ulster Irish and even some French Calvinists. In that way many of the original farmsteads w/ their clapboard farmhouses don't look much different than the farmsteads you'd see in Vermont where I was raised. The only outwardly different appearance that jumps out at me in the south, in my experience, is that there are many more individual smaller churches down here, while in Vermont, there were fewer churches but they were - on the whole - much larger.

For example, here is a photo of Burlington, Vermont. How much not-southern a place can you imagine culturally, but take a look at Church Street:

Next, look at Staunton, Virginia. In case you're wondering, Staunton is a _southern_ town:

Of course, culturally, once you're walking on Church Street, the differences become more obvious. For example, it might be real hard to find any restaurant offering proper sweet tea

Sean

Old 06-30-2008, 06:30 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
You won't really notice a difference until you hit Richmond, or south. No. Va is NOT southern in any way, shape or form! Even the "accent" folks have change when you hit the state capital.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:56 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,659,601 times
hey...
it also depends on how you come into the state from "up north". The two main arteries are I-95 and I-81. On the I-95 corridor, "southern" would begin around Richmond, if you turn off there. On I-81, you hit Pennsyl-tucky first, which has it's own unique brand of...something. But when I-81 enters VA, you are in the south.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:01 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,024 times
Hwy 17. Well before Richmond Say 30 miles into the state.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:37 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Let me weigh in here:

The official line between the North and the South is the Mason Dixon line.

As for 'southern' attitudes; the standing joke is that Pennsylvania has Pittsburgh in the west with Philly in the east-------and, Alabama in the middle. I have several friends from Pa who concur.

Note I am a Wash DC/NoVa native who left 30 years ago. For me at least; the cultural demarcation line in Virginia then would have been between Springfield/Woodbridge

Old 07-04-2008, 05:39 PM

21 posts, read 94,053 times
The end of Norther culture (civilization) begins in ROVA.

NOVA vs. ROVA

Virginia - Wikiality, the Truthiness Encyclopedia for Colbert's Heroes

Last edited by halibutt; 07-04-2008 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-11-2009, 10:59 AM

33 posts, read 134,864 times
Southern culture starts in Maryland. It is so-so above Baltimore, but its first noticable heavy in Baltimore where the accents get thicker.. the golds in the mouth and everything. By the time you've hit Southern Maryland you are good into the south.. but keep in mind that southern Maryland is can be 2 hours or so below D.C. and northern VA.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:14 PM

21 posts, read 105,224 times
Do you mean southern like this guy?
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt36/01va571/huiggh.jpg (broken link)

Not really. But still it's funny itin it?? No seriously though im from Virginia so im not like screwing with your head or nothing. The map below will guide you through the state of Virginia.
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt36/01va571/untitled-7.jpg (broken link)

Years ago Northern Virginia used to be.....well.....a whole lot of tree's. People in Loudoun used to be considered hicks a one point, you look nowa days and see all the spraw movin in. Even the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia is changing....slowly.....but it's growing more and more. Allot of people in Nova from NY, NC, NJ, FL so it's a weird mix, The Hampton Roads-Virginia beach area in similar with the comming and going of people who arent originally from Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia