Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 06:20 AM

67 posts, read 538,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
There are some ways out...

HOA rule book, you could say you do not agree with the HOA rules, they give you three days to deceide, that is a way out!

Home inspections, you could say your not happy with the outcome.

And I do believe Finiancial issues could be a way out as well.

I won't agrue anymore here, just trying to help you, done now...good luck with things
Thanks for this alternative information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 08:09 AM

13 posts, read 66,291 times
I support the lawyers comment....don't do it.....your children are too precious....

Old 05-15-2007, 08:40 AM

33 posts, read 209,907 times
I have a family member who is a registered sex offender. I just want to point out that while it is not the *ideal* situation to leave near sex offenders, they are everywhere. Many offenders are dangerous, while others are rehabilitated. Consider yourself at an advantage in knowing who the sex offenders are. Typically, sex offenders have a harder time offending again because people know to keep their kids away from them... that is the point of Megan's Law. It is the unregistered, uncaught offenders who you need to worry most about. Be careful who your children spend time with... coaches, teachers in school and church, etc... If an adult shows a lot of interest in spending time (unsupervised) with your child, buying things for your child, etc... these could all be signs of "grooming", and your child may be a target for abuse. While I agree that it's unnerving to know that a sex offender lives in your neighborhood, I think it's important that the public understand how sex offenders operate so they can protect their children in appropriate ways. Rallying to kick an offender out of a neighborhood is unfair, I think. The offender is still a human being and needs a place to live too. The safety of your family is your responsibility and it's your duty to take proper precautions in your daily life (supervising your kids, locking your doors, etc...) to help prevent an intrusion by any type of offender. Let's face it; we live in an imperfect world with no perfect solutions.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:15 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,009 times
Maybe he can go live with you then? sorry but they are just as bad as the ones who have not been caught here, just cause we know who they are and where they live, doesn't make them any less of threat here.... and I have no sympathy for them, NONE at all.

The safety of your family is your responsibility and it's your duty to take proper precautions in your daily life (supervising your kids, locking your doors, etc...)

I do agree with the statement you made above however, but still I don't think they are going to change and because of this, they shoudl not be allowed back into society. I am a survivor of a pedphile ring, within the very church I grew up in..so I feel VERY STRONGLY about this and will never change my mind or care bout them, they have no soul as far as I am concerned.

imperfect world with no perfect solutions

We do have solutions, if only those in power had the guts to do something bout it..Mmm.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:23 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,009 times
Your welcomed Bee...let us know how things turn out here.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:15 AM

Well this is how things have turned out. I actually took a look at where the alleged sex offender lived and it was several houses down and a few blocks away.

Mapquest makes it look like it was next door. We bought the house and we are happy.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:46 AM

97 posts, read 616,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeboah View Post
Well this is how things have turned out. I actually took a look at where the alleged sex offender lived and it was several houses down and a few blocks away.

Mapquest makes it look like it was next door. We bought the house and we are happy.
Glad things worked out for you! I'm a little late but I had a similar experience to share, not to stick up for sex offenders, but to say that you have to take things into perspective.

I actually found out that I bought a house "next door" (in the country, so he's actually 3/4 mile away) to a sex offender about a month after I had closed and met the man. He seemed nice enough but me having no kids I only knew to beware of him, but I believe in the right to bear arms and I do so no biggie.
A year later, I think about it and it seems funny that this respectable man could be convicted of the offense. Turns out he was 19 and the girl was 16....statutory, 20 years ago!

Not saying don't be careful of him or others because every person is different, just don't judge people because you see it on the internet that he's a bad person.

God Bless.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa View Post
Glad things worked out for you! I'm a little late but I had a similar experience to share, not to stick up for sex offenders, but to say that you have to take things into perspective.

I actually found out that I bought a house "next door" (in the country, so he's actually 3/4 mile away) to a sex offender about a month after I had closed and met the man. He seemed nice enough but me having no kids I only knew to beware of him, but I believe in the right to bear arms and I do so no biggie.
A year later, I think about it and it seems funny that this respectable man could be convicted of the offense. Turns out he was 19 and the girl was 16....statutory, 20 years ago!

Not saying don't be careful of him or others because every person is different, just don't judge people because you see it on the internet that he's a bad person.

God Bless.
Yes, you never know. I am definitely going to keep on the alert. Good thing is that the folks across the street work from home and are always looking out.

Thanks for your input.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:44 AM

145 posts, read 834,818 times
Quote:
I looked into the Sex Offender Registry before I bought my house. There were two in my little town and a few in the larger neighboring town. 90% of them were rape convictions. Most were 20-30 years ago and did not involve children (like the statutory case above).

Unless you have a convicted child molester nearby it's probably as safe as any place. While your first responsibility is to ensure your family's safety, we have to give people the benefit of the doubt, and not assume that because they did wrong before they'll do it again. This is poignant in these old rape cases. I am glad to see you considered this with your new neighbor and gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Most child molesters are pathological and repeat offenders, and I would never live near one. They ought to be lobotomized and castrated. But they are few and far between, despite what you see on the news. Someone who was convicted of rape is probably not psychotic or sick. Most likely they got drunk or used drugs, did a horrible thing, and have been paying for it ever since. I would imagine in some instances innocent people got convicted of rape as well.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:10 PM

33 posts, read 209,907 times
The title "sex offender" covers a wide variety of offenses, so some are more of a threat than others. Offenders can also be categorized as "violent sex offenders", which restricts them for life, where more "minor" offenses (in the eyes of the law) usually have a time limit. For example, here in PA, a nonviolent offender must only be registered for 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: