Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 31,100 times

Advertisements

I am single mom of two who just received a job offer in Alexandria, VA in looking for affordable housing for myself I notice that Congress Heights has some affordable properties.

I am looking for the safest, most economical neighborhoods I can find in and Around the Arlington, VA area? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 01:43 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
How "affordable" do you need it to be? Budget range?

Old 05-07-2010, 10:01 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,540 times
Woodbridge or public housing. Pretty depressing options in Old Town unless you're a 200k plus person and can afford private schooling...

Not trying to be offensive, just realistic. The public schools in alexandria suck big time (compared to the rest of NoVa), and you can either live in a ghetto hell hole or pay 800k for a small townhome downtown..

I'm as upset as you...

Old 05-12-2010, 09:02 AM

353 posts, read 905,719 times
If there is anywhere affordable in Alexandria I certainly wouldn't want to live there because it's not going to be a very nice area. As for Woodbridge, I wouldn't want to live there either, it's scary. But then again, I've only been to Woodbridge one time...but once was enough.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:15 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
Post in Northern Virginia - some folks don't read this general Virginia section. Good luck with finding a place.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:57 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malirand View Post
I am single mom of two who just received a job offer in Alexandria, VA in looking for affordable housing for myself I notice that Congress Heights has some affordable properties.

I am looking for the safest, most economical neighborhoods I can find in and Around the Arlington, VA area? Does anyone have any suggestions?
I'll save you some heartache, there aint any within 50 miles of Alexandria that is safe.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:33 PM

76 posts, read 384,147 times
"I'll save you some heartache, there aint any within 50 miles of Alexandria that is safe.'

I sense some jealousy here. Please do some research before you start making up false accusation. Northern VA is one of the safest metro area in the country. It is also the most educated, wealthiest, cleanest and have top rated schools. Peolpe here are the richest in the country. Don't take my word, do your research. Fort Knox, KY is more dangerous than Alexandria. Check it out for yourself.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogSS View Post
"I'll save you some heartache, there aint any within 50 miles of Alexandria that is safe.'

I sense some jealousy here. Please do some research before you start making up false accusation. Northern VA is one of the safest metro area in the country. It is also the most educated, wealthiest, cleanest and have top rated schools. Peolpe here are the richest in the country. Don't take my word, do your research. Fort Knox, KY is more dangerous than Alexandria. Check it out for yourself.
I just moved out of Alexandria, VA two weeks ago.

- 4 shootings in five years less than a mile from my apt building.
- Over 50 car break-ins in the area.
- Several robberies.

And my rent was $1350 for a 2 bed and that was considered a bargain.

Oh yeah, another ignorant assumption about Kentucky. Exactly what I expect from someone who lives in NoVA.

Elizabethtown, KY metro area (encompasses Ft. Knox and surrounding) 17th safest metro area in the country

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

Research is done.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 20,196 times
how do you feel about the st. charles and walsorf area as far as safety goes?

Old 07-31-2010, 09:28 AM

384 posts, read 1,029,195 times
Unfortunately, northern virginia isn't a cheap place to live. You may want to check out: Kingstowne neighborhood in Fairfax, Huntington (Alexandria area of Fairfax), and the Shirlington neighborhood in Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia