Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:16 AM

795 posts, read 1,268,938 times

Advertisements

As the subject states, I'm looking to move since I took a job near the NY Ave/FL ave/Gallaudet U metro stop.

I've narrowed down my consideration to two places by reading this forum and looking at other info available.

Due to the job on the red line, silver spring looks like the best option... but I have tons of family in Bowie/Upper Mal, etc. I'd like to live close to them, for better or worse. :-)

I will report to work around 8 am (or earlier, if it allows me to beat traffic).

I know the commute from Silver Spring might not be bad by taking the metro.

Questions:

1. How early does Glenmont station fill up in the morning?
2. Do you ever drive from Glenmont to an area near that metro stop above? If so, how is the drive?

Bowie has no metro near the places I'm considering... I'd have to drive into work.

Question:

How bad is the drive into DC to the metro stop mentioned, maybe 20 miles out, along the following routes:

1. Central Ave
2. Rt 50 to NY Ave NE

Thank you for your time and consideration!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 02:01 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Why not live in the northern part of Bowie and drive to Greenbelt Metro? I think it is 4 stops to Ft. Totten and then transfer to Red line where it is 3 stops more to NY Ave/Fla. Ave Metro station. I've done it hundreds of times and it's not bad.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:23 PM

Went to Silver spring last night and this morning.... no way would I ever live there... that place is a dump. Why anyone would recommend that over bowie is shocking... on the map and in pictures is one thing... but in person, wow...

Old 12-14-2010, 08:40 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,317,487 times
There are lots of really cool, upscale parts of Silver Spring. It is a huge area, both in population and geography, ranging from suburban neighborhoods to areas that are as dense as Washington D.C. I am not a Silver Spring expert, but poking around for one day won't give you the whole experience.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
There are lots of really cool, upscale parts of Silver Spring. It is a huge area, both in population and geography, ranging from suburban neighborhoods to areas that are as dense as Washington D.C. I am not a Silver Spring expert, but poking around for one day won't give you the whole experience.
No, I think that was enough. Sure there are some nice places there... but it was definitely not "bowie" when I got off on 495 and headed north on GA ave... to the place I was looking, around glen metro.... I was shocked. I live in gaithersburg and was expecting something similar.

Then heading back south, the roads were crappy, and small. It was not a good experience.

Take a ride up there after work and tell me what you think...

I've lived all over the world, and getting a "feel" for a place does not take 100 visits.

No matter what people say about PG or bowie, it had a great "feel" to me...

Funny enough, my aunt told me not to move to hyattesville (sp?) and silver spring.... my co-worker told me not to even look at silver spring (she is asian, and been in dc most of her adult life). She said PG was nice, but had to move out after she had kids due to the crappy school system... and not wanting to pay for private school.

I cannot fathom how someone would compare ss to bowie, upper marlb, bethesda, rockville or even gaithersburg.

Last edited by King_of_DC; 12-14-2010 at 08:56 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 AM

789 posts, read 2,564,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
Went to Silver spring last night and this morning.... no way would I ever live there... that place is a dump. Why anyone would recommend that over bowie is shocking... on the map and in pictures is one thing... but in person, wow...
Silver Spring - so where did you actually go to see this dump? SS is a wide spread area now.... and SS over Bowie any day IMHO...

You must be new to this area...

Last edited by tonyc; 12-15-2010 at 10:32 AM..

Old 12-15-2010, 10:00 AM

You went North on Georgia from the Beltway. It's not a dump, but it's not the best place either. Shouled have went south, or further north then you did. Bowie is nice, but I'd rather be in Silver Spring.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
Silver Spring - so where did you actually go to see this dump? SS is a wide spread area now.... and SS over Bowie any day IMHO...

You must be new to this area...
Been here for two years... and "hanging out/visiting" for the last 20 years... not sure I'd call that "new"... but I'd guess you would if you have been here your entire life. lol

I stated exactly where I went in the thread... no use in going over that again...

Last edited by King_of_DC; 12-15-2010 at 06:06 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You went North on Georgia from the Beltway. It's not a dump, but it's not the best place either. Shouled have went south, or further north then you did. Bowie is nice, but I'd rather be in Silver Spring.
Actually, I did... I went North, then headed back South all the way to Florida Ave...

Now, I'd guess further North would have been an option, but with my job, I'd have to drive along those rough and tight roads... or driving to the metro... not very inviting.

Found out today this lady down the hall is moving from SS... said the place has "went into the dumbs" over the last ten years... I thought that was comical.... wondered if she had read this post... lol

I "get it" with PG/Bowie... I'm not delusional, but when I come home, I don't want to drive through silver spring... maybe Gaithersburg has spoiled me...

Old 12-16-2010, 08:16 PM

Well, Gaithersburg is pretty good. Anyways, I'm not putting Bowie/PG down. I lived in PG for 7 years. I just prefer SS is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland