Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:07 PM

175 posts, read 651,737 times

Advertisements

Hello i'm new to the forum, but am wondering how living in Langley is. I know it's diverse, i go down there a lot on the way to CP but want to think about renting down there someday, how are Quebec arms, and what kind of apts are available there? Are there drivebys and stuff? Don't know. I like the area but don't know much.

Please update me thanks!

Last edited by yayayards; 12-27-2010 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 06:37 PM

321 posts, read 1,124,946 times
Like I'm sure you've noticed driving through Langley Park, it's a predominately Hispanic (mostly Central American) area. According to Wikipedia, it has the highest percentage of Salvadorans of anywhere in the country. The location is convenient, it's close to DC, Silver Spring, and College Park.

Crime in Prince George's has been declining recently, but I wouldn't necessarily call Langley Park a safe area yet. 4 people have been murdered there this year, as opposed to about 10-15 per year in the past. A lot of the crime in PG County takes place in or near apartment complexes, and there are a LOT of apartments in Langley Park. Also, there have been problems in the past with MS-13 in the area, but I haven't heard very much about that recently.

I've never lived there, so I can't tell you anything about specific apartment complexes, but you can read some reviews about them here: Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters.

Also, the proposed Purple Line of the metro system is supposed to have 2 stops in Langley Park, so if that does happen, there should be alot of new development in the area.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:34 PM

I do notice what goes on there I don't mind the Hispanics but I do see a lot of families most complexes have playgrounds, I just want to know the crime and way of living there.

Thanks

Btw the pollo camper is awesome

Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 PM

304 posts, read 713,497 times
I have lived a stone's throw away from Langley Park all of my life. Colloquially, we locals refer to that area as, "Spanish Town". My parents are of Hispanic-descent, and even they aren't too fond of the area.

Langley Park is filthy. I'd be really afraid to live around that area, particularly at night. There's a friggin papusa stand on every street corner. And apartment life... TERRIBLE! I was once looking for a place to live that was relatively cheap. LP has a few cheap places... but there's a reason as to why: DIRTY! I mean that in so many ways. The biggest detractor was the large infestation of bed bugs. I read so many horror story reviews online in regards to most of the affordable apartment complexes, in LP. A lot of those reviews were from students who attend the University of Maryland, College Park. Most said that they, too, were in search of really affordable housing. Several apartment complexes in LP seemed appealling at first, but after they moved in, they soon discovered the apartments were trash. Leaks and mold issues ... bed bugs and cockroach infestation ... the area riddled with crime. The list goes on and on.

In short, you couldn't even pay me to live in LP. I hope I'm not offending anyone, but I have to tell the truth. LP is not a place to live. I can hardly even deal with driving through that area, let alone living in it. No thanks. You asked about 'diversity'. The area is home to mostly Hispanics and to a lessor extent, Islanders from the Caribbean. Due to the filth and the almost non-existence of any sort of upkeep, LP is reminiscent of a third world country. I tend to see more and more Asian and Whites in the area. I'll assume they're just UMD students. Even in some of the worst areas, there's always at least usually one part of town where you can say that living conditions are at least 'fair'. I honestly can't think of one nook or cranny in LP that is even semi-decent. I wouldn't choose to live in Langley Park unless it was an absolute last and desperate resort. That's just my two cents.

Oh, and if you want a really good website for reviews on apartment complexes throughout the nation, go to Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters.. Of course people are more apt to go online and write a review when it comes to something negative, but there also seems to be a good deal of positive reviews for apartments that are truly deserving. Hope this helps.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:36 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
I grew up in Langley Park. I might drive through it, but I would never live or even shop there now. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that they want to move to Langley Park. Interesting concept.

Regarding apartments, most of the complexes are quite old. Many are 3-4 story brick walk-ups built in the 40s and 50s. Some of the newer ones were still built over 30 years ago. When I was a kid, we weren't allowed to go anywhere near Quebec Arms apartments. However, that was 30 years ago and maybe things have changed for the better.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:43 AM

Wow, you guys are right, it looks pretty shady, and the apts look like CRAP! I went into one and it is garbage! But it's a good size and good price, granite countertops in kit, molding, insulated windows. but still don't know enough about area.

I guess LP is out of the question

I wonder how adelphi is, how's adelphi???

Old 12-28-2010, 12:55 PM

304 posts, read 713,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayayards View Post
Wow, you guys are right, it looks pretty shady, and the apts look like CRAP! I went into one and it is garbage! But it's a good size and good price, granite countertops in kit, molding, insulated windows. but still don't know enough about area.

I guess LP is out of the question

I wonder how adelphi is, how's adelphi???
Adelphi is adjacent to LP but depending on the area, it could be a mirror image of Langley Park. But, there are also a few areas in Adelphi that are quite nice. You'll have to do your own research and footwork to find out. I think the area of Adelphi—off Metzerott Rd & Adelphi Rd or Metzerott Rd & Riggs Rd—is pretty decent. Also the area off University Blvd & Adelphi Rd is quite nice as well.

Last edited by Khemistry; 12-28-2010 at 01:08 PM..

Old 12-28-2010, 01:43 PM

321 posts, read 1,124,946 times
Like the person above me said, it depends on where in Adelphi. The parts closest to Langley Park tend to be very similar to Langley Park. The parts closer to College Park/UMD are pretty nice.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:01 PM

276 posts, read 432,059 times
Langley Park is 100% Latino, thats not diverse.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:01 PM

I,m looking at arbor vista apts how are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland