Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:53 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times

Advertisements

People keep on forgetting about Montgomery County which has the best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 07:37 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I bet a house in Mitchellville, MD probably costs 20 percent less than a house of comparable size/quality in McLean, VA. So I wonder why more white people don't move to PG County and then send their children to private school.
It's more like 50% less. And what private schools would be nearby that would pull in those families? McLean has a few private schools, but it's also not too far from the neighborhoods in NW and Maryland where the private schools are concentrated.

BTW, love that expression "straight wackness" even though I can only hazard a guess as to what it means.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:56 AM

2,597 posts, read 4,659,459 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
People keep on forgetting about Montgomery County which has the best of both worlds.
Of course Mont. Co has all the amenities and all but its the intangibles that get me, like when the police shut down that lemonade stand those young little white girls were trying to run because of zoning or something. I thought thats what every community wanted, kids doing kid things, not in Moco I guess.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Of course Mont. Co has all the amenities and all but its the intangibles that get me, like when the police shut down that lemonade stand those young little white girls were trying to run because of zoning or something. I thought thats what every community wanted, kids doing kid things, not in Moco I guess.
That taps into something I don't like about everywhere in the U.S.

Extensive zoning absolutely everywhere. It's no wonder so few people aren't entrepreneural - i.e. try to open a key kiosk, hot dog stand, etc. all those gazillions of small livelihoods. Almost none of them are ever encouraged or supported by the authorities.

We all either have to put on a suit/uniform and do it through some franchise employer, or we're suppose to be on the dole. No imbetweens allowed by our government.

I've often thought that if the U.S. wanted to 'fix' cities like Detroit, they'd make it allowable and acceptable to do a gazillion types of small enterprises and entrpeneurship types of things from their homes or anywhere else they'd like to do it with a minimum of hurdles/hassles.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Extensive zoning absolutely everywhere. It's no wonder so few people aren't entrepreneural - i.e. try to open a key kiosk, hot dog stand, etc. all those gazillions of small livelihoods. Almost none of them are ever encouraged or supported by the authorities.

We all either have to put on a suit/uniform and do it through some franchise employer, or we're suppose to be on the dole. No imbetweens allowed by our government.

I've often thought that if the U.S. wanted to 'fix' cities like Detroit, they'd make it allowable and acceptable to do a gazillion types of small enterprises and entrpeneurship types of things from their homes or anywhere else they'd like to do it with a minimum of hurdles/hassles.
Its called hustling.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
That was an isolated event anyway. According to this article these guys had an operation going on. Not a little kid stand. They were selling bottled drinks out of coolers under a tent for charity. The parents knew what they were doing.

Montgomery County Changes Stance On Lemonade Stand; $500 Fine Waived | wusa9.com

Old 10-19-2011, 09:07 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlynx View Post
Well, I suspect that they would rather move elsewhere for the same reasons why many black families are leaving PG and moving to Charles County - they don't want to deal with the backward crap that goes on there. Plus there are far better areas in the state of MD to move to than PG County, like the Eastern Shore or Frederick or some other place.
Or Howard County better schools it's a no brainer.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Those little girls are Marriot scion your concern for them is touching.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Which is counter to everything that allowed this country to rise into prominence in the first place.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:08 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Those little girls are Marriot scion your concern for them is touching.
Don't forget the other child is an heir to Lockheed Martin. And a missed part of the story is that the proceeds were going to charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland