Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:15 PM

415 posts, read 1,960,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compton610 View Post
Uh, what is this inside/outside the beltway thing I'm hearing about and what exactly is the difference?
The Beltway is the DC Beltway, I-95/I-495. Here's a map of PG County. The Beltway (the black half circle) is considered the "dividing line" between the more desirable and less desirable areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
The county is putting alot of money into Suitland and forestville.
The reason why alot of people on this forum donot like PG county is because the area is majority African American.
I drive to Suitland and Forestville all the time and Anti-Blacks opinions.
I live in Upper Marlboro which is about 10mins away from Forestville and I am not scared of low income families. As you can tell aot of people on this forum are scared of lower income families but they forget they too can be any of those low income families at any time.
You know lscalder, for "not being a racist", you play the race card awful quick... I'm pretty sure... yep... nobody else had said ANYTHING about race until you came along...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 06:56 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,593 times
Why not speak the truth, its my opinion and its fact. How many other people on this forum feel most people donot like Pg county because its majority African America? Folks here bash the county without stepping foot in the county. Their are plenty of desirable areas in Pg county. Its sad that people bash Pg county in a way that folks who were planning on moving here get so scared they change their minds. Its also sad that the ones who bash are 98%of the time white and have never step foot in the county before. I make it a race thing because everything in this country is about race and if you are the ones who are still sleeping you need to wake up.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:38 PM

43 posts, read 257,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compton610 View Post
So..........you mean to tell me there are only five areas that are consided to be relatively safe? She talks about forestville and suitland are those O.K. or
u might wanna avoid forestville and suitland...Insanely ghetto over there, unless she desperately wants to live in that type of lifestyle. You might want to look into, decent areas like Laurel, Bowie, Greenbelt. Also be very suspicious of apartments you might find "cheap" or "free rent for a month or 2"........

Old 08-31-2007, 01:45 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceofspadez View Post
u might wanna avoid forestville and suitland...Insanely ghetto over there, unless she desperately wants to live in that type of lifestyle. You might want to look into, decent areas like Laurel, Bowie, Greenbelt. Also be very suspicious of apartments you might find "cheap" or "free rent for a month or 2"........

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forestville and Suitland??????? Wow ummm thats not ghetto or dangerous. I've been through their many times on business and I haven't had one problem. Some people need to actually pull of the beltway before they critique the area......To answer the question, outside of the beltway is lovely and plush with rivers of honey that flows and palm tree's grow. Seriously though like one area is questionable and that would be Oxon Hill. Everything else is fine. Let the racial fear mongering continue......

Old 08-31-2007, 03:13 AM

58 posts, read 290,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
... How many other people on this forum feel most people donot like Pg county because its majority African America? Folks here bash the county without stepping foot in the county....
I have stepped my foot in it many times. Hon, people have not liked and have put PG County down for years and years. It has long been considered the Washington D.C. Metro areas's disfunctional, second-class, ugly stepsister regardless of which race was a majority.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:08 AM

Like I said earlier, avoid forestville and suitland.........

Old 08-31-2007, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forestville and Suitland??????? Wow ummm thats not ghetto or dangerous. I've been through their many times on business and I haven't had one problem. Some people need to actually pull of the beltway before they critique the area......To answer the question, outside of the beltway is lovely and plush with rivers of honey that flows and palm tree's grow. Seriously though like one area is questionable and that would be Oxon Hill. Everything else is fine. Let the racial fear mongering continue......
Now u know u a d.a.m.n. lie

Old 08-31-2007, 05:42 AM

311 posts, read 1,385,941 times
I'm pretty much with Iscalder this time. It's mostly white people who denigrate PG county. Having lived there for 12 years before moving, I had no problem with it, and would move back in a heartbeat. I left mainly for the lower taxes in Charles County. I will say this, though; there are two things you need to be aware of, especially with Suitland and Forestville: if you are going to live in an apartment, you will have to be careful. Also, the public schools just plain SUCK, if you will be sending children there. I did private schools; there are quite a few decent, affordable ones in PG. If you're going for an apartment you probably would be better off in Laurel or Bowie.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:11 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,968 times
I'd stay away from Riverdale and parts of Hyattsville. I lived within walking distance of these areas and my family still does and it's got more than it's share of crime. People on this website have posted things about revitalization, so hopefully that will happen.
By the way, some people on this board think that if you say one bad thing about PG, it's because you're a horrible racist- which is just not true, and an insult to everyone here, but people will believe what they want- and opinion is not fact. There are lots of sites where you can look up crime statistics for cities in PG, I suggest you check it out yourself. Try this one- (not sure it'll come up as a link, but you can copy and paste it) it lists crime statistics by district.

Prince George's County, MD - Police Department : Crime Statistics

Old 08-31-2007, 08:00 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,593 times
Its so sad that people tend to only look at negative issues with PG county but yet they forget to mention all the positive such as the developments thats going on in all those lower income areas. Pg county so far for this school year have build 2 new schools. The county have put 3 million dollars into the public schools. Do people forget these important information or do they just rather only look at the negatives. I live in PG county an dhave visit every city in Pg county. My family and I have had no problems. The ones who do have problems are the ones who are living a wrongful life style. The same as in Montgomery county the majority of the folks who are dying beause of gang violence are 99% are living a gang life. Montgomery county is full of gangs but yet folks say it is one of the safest places to live in Maryland. In Pg county I have seen way nicer areas then Montgomery County but yet this doesnot get mention because all people want to talk about is negative aspects of Pg county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland