Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:51 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,069 times

Advertisements

Metro has decided to extend the agreement for the land next to greenbelt metro. One point that was made on the news is that any Site chosen may not generate additional business(contractors etc) since the FBI does not spend as much as say the DOD. I don't know how true that would be. Granted they don't spend as as much as other law enforcement/intelligence/military agencies but I think there presence would merit an expanded private sector. I also find it interesting that minimal impact was mentioned with PG but not other jurisdictions

Metro committee advances land deal that could bring the FBI to Greenbelt - Washington Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 09:45 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Metro has decided to extend the agreement for the land next to greenbelt metro. One point that was made on the news is that any Site chosen may not generate additional business(contractors etc) since the FBI does not spend as much as say the DOD. I don't know how true that would be. Granted they don't spend as as much as other law enforcement/intelligence/military agencies but I think there presence would merit an expanded private sector. I also find it interesting that minimal impact was mentioned with PG but not other jurisdictions

Metro committee advances land deal that could bring the FBI to Greenbelt - Washington Business Journal
This is good news for PG. I believe with this, this should be the time to start focusing on marketing Greenbelt. Seems like it's going to come down to Greenbelt and Springfield.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
This is good news for PG. I believe with this, this should be the time to start focusing on marketing Greenbelt. Seems like it's going to come down to Greenbelt and Springfield.
I agree and even though Metro did not endorse PG, their justification for entertaining the extension (under used metro station) speaks volumes as to why Greenbelt is an ideal location

Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 PM

Here is a response from one of NOVA's politician's

Fairfax official says Metro is playing favorites in fight for FBI headquarters - The Washington Post

Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,745 times
Quote:
I read this! Gosh, what a whiny baby. "Wahh they're being meanies and they won't let me get what I want wahhh."

Old 02-15-2013, 07:44 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:

I can think of a few contracting firms. They would mostly be forensic in nature. Consider the rise in cyber crime. There are already computer forensic firms that exist. That would fit nicely with the NSA being the cyberdefense hub. It would be interesting to know what private firms actually support the FBI and in what capacity.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Like I said before, it will be harder to justify not selecting open land next to a metro within 20 minutes of downtown DC as opposed to cramming more workers in an already overburdened commuter route. We can also talk about crime and schools, but the DHS HQ isn't necessarily located in an area the likes of Bethesda or Alexandria.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:51 AM

When you take the time to look at both sites from Google Maps, the differences are huge between the two. It's almost laughable in that it would be ridiculous not to use such a wide expanse of usable space right at metro's door.
Attached Thumbnails
GSA proposes trading Hoover Building for new FBI campus-greenbelt.jpg   GSA proposes trading Hoover Building for new FBI campus-springfield.jpg  

Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
When you take the time to look at both sites from Google Maps, the differences are huge between the two. It's almost laughable in that it would be ridiculous not to use such a wide expanse of usable space right at metro's door.
I'm not sure I see a huge difference. The area to the left of the metro in Springfield are the GSA owned warehouse, which is the area they would tear down to build a new complex. It's not green space like it is in Greenbelt, but it would serve the same purpose. Greenbelt has more space sure, but I guess it would depend on how much space is necessary.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I'm not sure I see a huge difference. The area to the left of the metro in Springfield are the GSA owned warehouse, which is the area they would tear down to build a new complex. It's not green space like it is in Greenbelt, but it would serve the same purpose. Greenbelt has more space sure, but I guess it would depend on how much space is necessary.
That's the difference and it's huge. The difference is between developed and undeveloped land between the two. Greenbelt is at a state where it would be ready to dig, Springfield isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland