Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 11:19 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Ridiculously expensive compared to what? Slavery is no longer legal. You expect to pay all the workers minimum wage? What about injury risk?

Yes, things are more expensive because we don't treat workers the way we used to 50 years ago. You also have to adjust for inflation. Sorry but 100million just doesn't buy what it bought 30 years ago.

I'm sure they aren't throwing out these numbers because they don't care how much they spend.

This is exactly what this quote is talking about.

We can sit and argue back and forth about cost while other countries just get the sh*t done. Meanwhile, we applaud and honor multibillionaires who pay no effective taxes and continue to raid the country of its tax dollars because they are just too important to fail.

And we can't come up with money for something we needed 20 years ago? lol This is the greatest most powerful, most wealthiest country on the planet and we don't think we should have what other countries have proven works?

We sure can come up with money for border walls and other "threats" but our infrastructure is just fine. Cutting edge.
Buddy, breathe, just breathe!!!!!

I would LOVE to have maglev trains running all across the US, from coast to coast, from the north to the south, from Seattle to Miami, from San Diego to Boston and everywhere in between. The fact is, in the US, as compared to other countries, there are so many more laws and requirements and the cost of building is obviously more, from labor to materials, then throw on top of it, contractors that try to cut corners and do shoddy work, just look at the Silver Line going out to Dulles, need I say more.

China and Japan have made it a priority in their countries to do HSR/maglev; for the US, it is just not a priority, even if the two of us think it is. I wish I can wave a magic wand and change that, but I can't.

For now, the best we can do is try to see what the private sector can do with projects like the Miami to Orlando line, the Dallas to Houston line and the Las Vegas to LA (or just outside of LA) line. I wish all of the companies building those high speed rail lines the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 05:16 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
No one, certainly not me, said "just build nothing". You're projecting arguments on to me that I did not say.
And you clearly ignored my comment on MARC.

Give me just one reason a resident of Prince George's County or Anne Arundel County should support this project?
MARC won't get us to NYC.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:43 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Buddy, breathe, just breathe!!!!!

I would LOVE to have maglev trains running all across the US, from coast to coast, from the north to the south, from Seattle to Miami, from San Diego to Boston and everywhere in between. The fact is, in the US, as compared to other countries, there are so many more laws and requirements and the cost of building is obviously more, from labor to materials, then throw on top of it, contractors that try to cut corners and do shoddy work, just look at the Silver Line going out to Dulles, need I say more.

China and Japan have made it a priority in their countries to do HSR/maglev; for the US, it is just not a priority, even if the two of us think it is. I wish I can wave a magic wand and change that, but I can't.

For now, the best we can do is try to see what the private sector can do with projects like the Miami to Orlando line, the Dallas to Houston line and the Las Vegas to LA (or just outside of LA) line. I wish all of the companies building those high speed rail lines the best.
I do agree that high speed rail needs to be a priority. The first maglev US patent was given in 1902. 120 years later we still don't have a maglev train. lol

Japan started testing their SCMaglev train in 1972. Japan gave the green light for commercial use in 2009 and the trains started carrying people in 2011. Some 39 years later. What have we done in those 39 years?

In 2022, there are no physical Maglev trains or tracks in the US (not even for testing) while Japan has been using them on a commercial level for over a decade.

The closest project in the United States seems to be the Keystone Corridor according to this Wikipedia. ll projects in the US are in the approval stages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#United_States

Old 04-29-2022, 05:58 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The closest project in the United States seems to be the Keystone Corridor according to this Wikipedia.
I know the Keystone Corridor quite well, I'm originally from Scranton and remember back in the early to mid 90s (30 years ago) when they talked about building a maglev segment from the Pittsburgh airport to downtown Pittsburgh as a "proof of concept", then from there they would extend the line all the way to Philly.

There was even a maglev company formed outside Pittsburgh back then, and they touted maglev as the "perfect" type of transportation to go up and over or through the Allegheny Mountains in western PA.

Needless to say, it went nowhere, that company, I forget the name, folded.

I thought it would have been cool for PA to be the first place in the US to have a maglev line back in the 90s, since I will always consider myself a Pennsylvanian, even if I never live in the commonwealth again.

Whenever I make it to China or Japan, I definitely will be trying out their maglev and high speed rail lines!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland