Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 02:26 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyendis View Post
Now Pier 1 Imports at the BLVD is closing. They are having a store closing sale. What store is going to close up shop next? That whole strip is going to be deserted.

All this could be due to the uncertainty of where the new hospital will be built. Looking at the pic I provided earlier, there's no much contiguous space to put a hospital complex without taking out some of the BLVD. If stores know they might have to relocate or move, they may close up shop early. But this is clear speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 09:18 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyendis View Post
Now Pier 1 Imports at the BLVD is closing. They are having a store closing sale. What store is going to close up shop next? That whole strip is going to be deserted.
Soo much for the mixed use Outdoor Town Center Concept........

Old 02-03-2014, 02:10 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,197 times
Quote:
Soo much for the mixed use Outdoor Town Center Concept........
Ripping the roof off a mall and making the store fronts look like Mayberry won't guarantee shoppers profits. Stores are coming and going in town centers all over the area regardless of the location and the income of the patrons. Some are able to fill the vacancies quicker while others sit empty. If people aren't shopping, they aren't shopping. Oversaturation of town centers filled with stores in which patrons don't regularly shop is a major problem. It's great that they gave Pier 1 a shot, but how papasan chairs and leather poufs do people within a 10 mile radius of the store buy on a regular basis? The same can be said of any of the stores. The hospital may turn things around as it brings in a whole new crop of shoppers.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:39 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,187 times
I know down in the Atlanta area there are sketchy shopping areas that are thriving and always bustling. Perhaps the town center isn't thriving because it just wasn't the right mix of stores. I've personally never stepped foot into that Pier 1 store. I also think that people just aren't shopping as much because there are malls even in Northern Va that have struggled as well for example Landmark mall in Alexandria which is pretty much a ghost town. I've heard that Springfield mall is pretty bad too. Perhaps people just aren't shopping as much with the uncertainty of the economy.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:41 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I know down in the Atlanta area there are sketchy shopping areas that are thriving and always bustling. Perhaps the town center isn't thriving because it just wasn't the right mix of stores. I've personally never stepped foot into that Pier 1 store. I also think that people just aren't shopping as much because there are malls even in Northern Va that have struggled as well for example Landmark mall in Alexandria which is pretty much a ghost town. I've heard that Springfield mall is pretty bad too. Perhaps people just aren't shopping as much with the uncertainty of the economy.
Yes Springfield Mall struggled for very similar reasons as the Blvd. There was a lot of crime that was going on around the shopping center and it became less attractive for people to shop there. People talked about how unsafe it was around there. I'm not 100% sure what happened with Landmark Mall. Both places are being redeveloped into outdoor malls. That is one of the reasons why I do not believe Blvd is completely done. Given that it's an open air shopping center, it is already trendy, they just need a good mix of stores and to do a better job keeping up with safety.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:20 AM

16 posts, read 39,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Yes Springfield Mall struggled for very similar reasons as the Blvd. There was a lot of crime that was going on around the shopping center and it became less attractive for people to shop there. People talked about how unsafe it was around there. I'm not 100% sure what happened with Landmark Mall. Both places are being redeveloped into outdoor malls. That is one of the reasons why I do not believe Blvd is completely done. Given that it's an open air shopping center, it is already trendy, they just need a good mix of stores and to do a better job keeping up with safety.
I have been to the BLVD many times in the past when it first opened. My very first impression was that it seemed to be ackward. The design and parking just seemded bad. You really couldnt tell what stores were there from the outter perimeters of the mall. Now I only frequent the Carolina Kitchen; which I must admit sometimes the service can be lacking. Plus the place seems to need some updating or even better relocating to a larger spot like the one in Hyattsville.

The BLVD can do well but they may have to redesign some elements and add stores people really want.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Oh okay. Me and my family usually shop there til closing time during the weekends (Around 9pm or 10pm) and it usually doesn't seem too bad. The parking lots further away from the entrance to the food court can be a little sketchy at night sometimes though.
I frequent the St.Charles Mall alot since it renovation. Its not upscale like Annapolis or Columbia but it has decent stores. I find alot of my friends from Bowie and Upper Marlboro come to Waldorf/Brandywine now for shopping and dining (for some reason Cracker Barrel, Bonefish and that Christmas Tree Shop is a hit with them..smh). For those items I can not find in the mall I now head to National Harbor Tanger Outlet (which is also better than I thought it would be). Really like being able to now shop in Southern Maryland rather than giving my money to VA or driving all the way to Annapolis.

No matter what mall you go to you must watch your back and play it safe. There are unsavory characters at the St.Charles mall at times but I have also run into alot of unsavory characters at the Annapolis Mall and Columbia. But good security, well lit parking, and teen crown control is key!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Yikes, really? I haven't been to the Golden Corral in years and I remember it being a decent joint. And I think the last time I went to the Magic Johnson theater was back in 2006 when I was still in junior high. It was cool back then but I don't know about now, especially with what I've heard about it. I prefer going to the movies at Hoffman's, Gallery Place, Brandywine Crossing, and recently St. Charles again (Until last month with my best friend, I haven't been to the St. Charles theater since 2008 because my fellow teens at the time were rowdy and loud as hell in the back of the theater room that it was a little difficult to enjoy the movie. That theater has improved considerably in my opinion. The service has improved, the new reclined seating is similar to the Xscape Theater at Brandywine X, and the audiences were all civil and there were hardly any rowdiness either. And this was on a Friday night!!! The only thing I don't like about the new changes is that people are automatically assigned to designated seats. Other than that, things seem to have changed for the better. Hopefully Magic Johnson will follow through too). I stopped shopping at the BLVD ever since me and my family moved to the Clinton/Brandywine area in southern PG and with the Borders and Men's Warehouse gone, I don't even bother anymore. All of my shopping is normally done at St. Charles Town Center, Bowie Town Center, Brandywine Crossing, Pentagon City, and the Annapolis Mall.
The renovated movie theatre in Waldorf with the red leather recliners just has me hooked! I can just lean back in those seats like I was in my family room and relax while the movie is playing. Brandywine Xscape theatre is nice too but Im not a big fan of stadium seating and their recliners dont feel as comfortable. Plus the reserved seating in Waldorf is a big plus...I like knowing where Im going to sit so I buy my tickets online and pick out my seat

I really dont like any of the Golden Corrals in the DC area; down south the food and service is wayyyy better. But the one time I did go to the Golden Corral at the BLVD I took a senior to treat her to lunch. I was shocked when this young man took a clean plate off the table where a couple was sitting! The couple was speechless also because he didnt even ask or say anything. Needless to say we never went back. The county needs to focus on maintaining and improving existing retail centers while at the same time building new ones with the stores the county has missed for years.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:42 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
It sad that areas like PALMER PARK and GLENARDEN can destroy a town center......Its only going to get worst for PG County because more and MORE low income people from D.C. are being dropped into PG County like a dumpster.....its hurting the county instead of helping it

That is what happens when you have gentrification. People who are displaced by the gentrification need someplace to go. In the end it is a zero sum game. Those whose eyes light up when they see gentrification coming act like they are foolish enough to believe that those living in squalor before the gentrification are the same people who are going to be living in upscale townhouses and shopping at Bloomingdales after the area is gentrified. DC gets more gentrified every day and PG county becomes more of a slum every day. Don't worry, Owe Malley will come to the rescue. The new hospital will come in handy to take care of the crime victims.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:19 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrism2 View Post
I have been to the BLVD many times in the past when it first opened. My very first impression was that it seemed to be ackward. The design and parking just seemded bad. You really couldnt tell what stores were there from the outter perimeters of the mall. Now I only frequent the Carolina Kitchen; which I must admit sometimes the service can be lacking. Plus the place seems to need some updating or even better relocating to a larger spot like the one in Hyattsville.

The BLVD can do well but they may have to redesign some elements and add stores people really want.
Agreed. Agreed. Carolina Kitchen's service leaves a lot to be desired.

Unfortunately with the Blvd, it probably could use a re-design but a few years ago, the county had an opportunity to invest money in it as well as other projects and opted not to. Instead they are adding money to expanding newer projects as well as some of the other older ones like Kingdom Square (???). I still don't understand that one, but I believe they want to add more hotels around that shopping center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland