Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 12:36 AM

3 posts, read 7,493 times

Advertisements

I just moved from nyc to Laurel back in Oct. I'm finding it nearly impossible to make friends my age
I've tried meet up, fb and even cl (don't laugh) 26 and at work I'm the youngest in the dept. Any ideas? Or would anyone Like to go out for a movie date? Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 05:08 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkqueen View Post
I just moved from nyc to Laurel back in Oct. I'm finding it nearly impossible to make friends my age
I've tried meet up, fb and even cl (don't laugh) 26 and at work I'm the youngest in the dept. Any ideas? Or would anyone Like to go out for a movie date? Lol
How about a church? Or a co-ed softball league? Otherwise, I just suggest continue to be outgoing and friendly, and continue to look for social groups where you have things in common.

The Washington DC area has a reputation for having many self-absorbed, career-oriented people. Just keep smiling at them!

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-06-2015 at 06:33 AM..

Old 06-06-2015, 07:49 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
What is your profession? Sometimes joining an association is a way to meet people. For example education associations, etc. I joined IEEE and there are many events that are held locally.

Church is also a good way to meet people and make friends. DC has tons of social events for singles as well.

Try this out: https://thingstododc.com/ It is a site that has things for young professionals to do in DC.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:14 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,838 times
I don't think your difficulties are particular to Laurel. You'd likely have the same problems in most suburban/bedroom communities anywhere in this and most other metro areas. I suspect it would be much easier to meet someone if you lived in DC, but that's way more expensive. Silver Spring is about the closest DT to Laurel. And while the new movie theater in Laurel is really nice 100% leather seating with full leg rests and trays, I'm not much of a fan of the movies it shows. More choice in Silver Spring with a larger theater, plus the AFI.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:17 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,528 times
in the dept? police? and if you looking for some friends go to the clubs! theres lot of people your age down on bmore ave. tword colege park

Old 06-07-2015, 03:52 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:

You should have asked about the area before you moved here. Any southern city is friendlier than this area, especially if you have no friend base to start with.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:10 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Try any of these

Splash Page Text (Home Page)

Potomac Pedalers

First Class, Inc. - Your Center for Lifelong Learning

Untitled Document

Washington Women Outdoors Home

Homepage of the Center Hiking Club.

Capital Hiking Club -

Wanderbirds Hiking Club - Home

Washington DC Chapter | Explore, enjoy & protect the planet

And if conventional religion turns you off, try a Unitarian Church They have no creed or dogma, they just believe in humanitarianism and being a force for good in the world. A list of their Maryland locations is HERE http://www.baltwashuus.org

Old 09-06-2015, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,366 times
Ok I would just like to step in and say I experience the same thing. I'm a young professional in a new area in Rockville looking to move to laurel. I live in these areas due to rent restrictions and I was going to take a good job here despite not having a "friend base" or moving to a "friendly southern city". So yes, I would be more than happy to join you for a movie or happy hour sometime. I work in greenbelt, so I'm around that area usually! Don't worry, you aren't alone!

Old 09-06-2015, 11:30 PM

3 posts, read 7,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You should have asked about the area before you moved here. Any southern city is friendlier than this area, especially if you have no friend base to start with.
Why? It wouldnt have stopped me from moving, lol

Old 09-07-2015, 07:47 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
The best thing to do when you're trying to make friends in a new area is find a hobby/sport/activity where you can regularly attend. I've heard that many of the meetups, you have people that come once and don't come again. It's hard to meet new friends at these events. That's why church groups or sports leagues, or other places where you can get to know people well over a long period of time are a better bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland