Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 07:08 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

I couldn't find a thread like the others specific to Hyattsville or the Arts corridor specifically. So I decided to make one that included Hyattsville from 410 to DC on RT. 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Beloved D.C. barbecue joint Federalist Pig will open a second location in Hyattsville.

The Adams Morgan restaurant is expanding to a 2,500-square-foot space that once housed The Tire Place until earlier this year at 5504 Baltimore Ave.

The location will be just across the street from the Shoppes at Arts District Hyattsville, home to Busboys and Poets, Tara Thai and Elevation Burger, and will likely be a major draw for the area’s already diverse restaurant scene.
Okay. So, this is like the third attempt at a BBQ joint on RT. 1. Two have died in College Park. I guess we can chalk it up to a growing population of Vegans and those who shun comfort foods?

The author of the article suggests this is a big win for the area. I thought Fat Pete's was a big win. But alas, it died in the College Park retail vortex.

Let's see how well this new spot does in the Arts District. Far removed from the brutal College Park dining scene.

https://www.hyattsvillewire.com/2019...g-hyattsville/

Old 04-29-2019, 01:24 PM

662 posts, read 782,508 times
Isn't there a Hyattsville thread?

Old 04-29-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
Isn't there a Hyattsville thread?
Nope. Just a PG Plaza district thread. I looked. There are various threads about certain aspects of Hyattsville, but not the News, Events, Updates, etc. Thread. Specifically for the Arts district. Then there's WEst Hyattsville. But not much is going on there besides the Metro development.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:35 AM

720 posts, read 1,554,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Okay. So, this is like the third attempt at a BBQ joint on RT. 1. Two have died in College Park. I guess we can chalk it up to a growing population of Vegans and those who shun comfort foods?

The author of the article suggests this is a big win for the area. I thought Fat Pete's was a big win. But alas, it died in the College Park retail vortex.

Let's see how well this new spot does in the Arts District. Far removed from the brutal College Park dining scene.

https://www.hyattsvillewire.com/2019...g-hyattsville/
Have you been to Sonderman's original locations of DC City Smokehouse (before it moved from North Capitol) and Federalist Pig in Adams Morgan? His style is just on another level compared to Fat Pete's. Best in the city IMO. Highly encourage you go try out Federalist Pig if you're a fan of BBQ.

He's built up such a consistent track record and following now that I doubt this new location will flop, especially having more square footage to expand his offerings and by pairing up with the &pizza owner. There are a lot of people very excited for this.

Plus the parking situation here feels like less of a hassle compared to College park

Old 05-03-2019, 11:12 AM

340 posts, read 376,383 times
I'm sure this BBQ place will be great, I think that stretch of businesses in CP where Fat Pete's was located is just hard to access for non-students and BBQ is expensive for students to eat regularly...I love Nando's but I never go to the one in CP just bc it's too hard to access....Just wishful thinking but the owner of Federalist Pig also owns Kramer Books and Ted's Bulletin which would be perfect for Riverdale Park Station and clearly the area is on his radar now.

Last edited by DoughLow805; 05-03-2019 at 11:26 AM..

Old 07-06-2019, 07:58 AM

662 posts, read 782,508 times
Finally this is moving along. This building is a blight. And the developer makes pretty homes and has done a good job w/their flips in the area in the past.

A few examples:

Hyattsville’s WSSC Demolition Starts This Week
Posted on July 6, 2019 by Alison Beckwith
WSSC Hyattsville historic district building Washington Suburban Sanitation Commission
The Washington Suburban Sanitation Commission building in Hyattsville’s historic district will be demolished beginning this week.

Contractors with Werrlein Properties, which plans to build row homes and a handful of traditional single-family homes on the site, will begin pulling the building down piece by piece in the coming days.

In a recent email to neighbors, managing partner Jonathan Werrlein outlined a number of steps contractors will take to minimize the demolition on the area, from fencing to pest control to minimizing dust and runoff.

“We are aware that the removal of this building may cause consternation for the few residents that live near the site over the next couple of months,” he wrote.

The more significant impact to neighbors will be the loss of the 115,000-square-foot building, which was first built in 1939 and later expanded in 1953 and 1963.

“Built with buff-colored brick and decorative elements of Indiana limestone, the building was simple, yet, unique in its Art Deco-influenced ornamentation both for Hyattsville and the Washington area,” noted the Hyattsville Preservation Association.

But the building has sat empty for years, and while neighborhood opposition killed a previous effort to redevelop the property, no one had ever put forward a credible proposal to do anything with the building, such as a community center.

Residents have some concerns about the design of the new housing development, but in the end a plan always beats no plan. The fate of the WSSC building was sealed by decisions made years ago; it’s just coming to fruition now.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,937 times
greetings. Planning on a new home in East Riverdale anyone has any recommendation about the area? Like livability, safety ?/

Thanks

Old 03-11-2020, 08:01 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
East Riverdale is a working class neighborhood that has gone from white to black to Hispanic majority over the last 40 years. It has a lot of apartments. The Purple Line construction intrudes, cutting the neighborhood in half along Riverdale Road. Traffic sucks. Not sure about crime.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:52 PM

123 posts, read 76,082 times
Some interesting updates for the Hyattsville Arts district from https://streetcarsuburbs.news/pedest...along-route-1/

The Rhode Island Avenue Trolley Trail extension moves forward with the MDOT asking for bids.

The Federalist Pig will improve the sidewalks and will include a bike rack.

The Hyattsville Canvas Apartments, 284 units with 32k sqf of retail next to the Armory, received permits to begin demolition. These apartments will have two nice public plazas on their property that I think will improve the whole area in front of Busboys and poets enormously.

Attached Thumbnails
Art's District (Hyattsville to DC Line) - News, Events, Updates, Questions and Developments Etc.-canvas.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland