Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 PM

14 posts, read 63,462 times

Advertisements

I am moving back to the DC/MD area and looking at houses to purchase within those two zip codes. We need about 2000 sq ft house and it seems like those two zip codes would be a good fit.

Is one better than the other? Which one has better communities / schools? We have two little kids that will be starting school within a year or two and don't want to be moving because of a bad school district.

Any help and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 01:43 PM

68 posts, read 265,223 times
What's your price range? Lots of nice houses and neighborhoods in both zips. 20905 probably gives you better schools. Some older neighborhoods (late 60's) with good quality construction. Many are over 2000 sf, but not by that much. Some fill-in houses built in the 90's and 00's when things were booming. Cloverly housing varies more and the schools probably aren't as good, though I could be wrong on that.

Stonegate is a subdivision in 20905. Good Elementary school in the neighborhood - most kids walk. Mix of retirees, older couples and younger families.

Sherwood Forest also has an elementary school in the neighborhood. Similar housing.

Lots of stuff for sale so you should be able to get a deal.

The FDA is moving their headquarters about 5 miles down the road in a few years so that should help real estate values.

Check out the path of the Inter County Connector (ICC) before you buy. They have begun construction after 50 years of study and legal battles.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2009, 01:59 PM

658 posts, read 1,785,074 times
Of the two, I believe 20905 (Cloverly) is more desirable than 20904, but is more rural than 20904.

The area to avoid in 20904 is around Castle Blvd and Old Columbia Pike. Most of this area is made up of apartments and townhomes, so you may not even be looking in this area. There are nice areas in 20904 such as Sherwood Forest and Amberleigh.

As MikeK points out, look where the ICC connector will be built as it does affect a lot of homeowners in this area.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:19 PM

884 posts, read 2,641,613 times
I was told by a realtor that Cloverly has a very 'desirable' elementary school. Check out the school stats on the Montgomery County website. Both areas are really nice --I would think they are equal. I go to church with a lady that works in a school in the Stonegate community and it is a nice area too.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:52 PM

Thanks. Our price range is up to $550K. Our initial search started in Bethesda, but we realized there isn't much there within that price range. Well, there are some but we probably couldn't fit there with two toddlers. It looks like Cloverly it is.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:28 PM

460 posts, read 1,876,587 times
I grew up and my parents are still living about 2 miles from Cloverly ES (i didn't not go there, my neighbor fed into the old Fairland ES). Cloverly is one of the only ES where the entire student body is coming from single-family homes and townhouses. There are no subsidized housing nor apartment dwelling children at this school. The FARMS rate is practically non-existent (less than 10%). If you are buying primarily on school data, Cloverly is the one for you -

http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/d...ools/02308.pdf

Old 01-16-2009, 08:23 AM

That's great to hear about elementary schools.

What about other zip codes in Silver Spring (20902 - 03). Are they that much worse than 20905? We would obviously prefer the shorter commute, but realize that can't have everything in our price range. Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:23 AM

884 posts, read 2,641,613 times
I heard that the Burnt Mills area--I think it is 20902 has a good elementary. I live in 20903 and I think the teachers are good but the kids are ..well...bad. At least this is what my daughter says. If I could afford it I would move to 20904/20905 in a heartbeat. I think the school has a better mix of kids. Montgomery county also tends to shortchange the "lower income" schools and 20903 is in that zone.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:49 PM

460 posts, read 1,876,587 times
this is my non-scientific observation after being raised in the 20905 zip code and working as a teacher in MCPS. You need to target a few zipcodes in your price range - like you have - and then drive around during day and nigiht/weekday and weekend and take a look at the topography. What is already built - how much land is around to build on now?? Where are the apartments and THs and SFHs now. .. but where could they be built tomorrow? (also make sure you're not in the path of the ICC - as someone commented - it will be running under New Hampshire Ave about 700 feet from what is now Cape May Road - to the south of Cloverly area).

in other words - think now and 10 years from now. the eastern side of Rt. 29 and almost completely apartments and I would never buy a TH of SFH there because I personally don't want to live surrounded by apartments (forget the schools for a moment). Do you want to be more "rural," like Cloverly towards Ashton and Olney (= more expensive also) or more "urban" like towards Silver Spring and Wheaton (20902 = more congested, more transitent population, more impacted students in the schools)?

Since you seem to have means in relation to what prices are in this part of MoCo right now - consider your environmental setting (also consider commuting routes and times in this) that you want and then the school and try to get the best mix for you of the two.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:10 PM

629 posts, read 945,998 times
I can vouch for the desirability of Stonegate and Sherwood Forest, but please check the ICC master plan before buying--it is routed through there IIRC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland