Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 01:04 AM

2 posts, read 9,047 times

Advertisements

No this does not go against your record. They are all over the county, so be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 06:35 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,935,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebrook View Post
No this does not go against your record. They are all over the county, so be careful.
And throughout DC and Prince George's County, not sure about VA, but be careful either way

Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 AM

703 posts, read 2,943,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8doglove View Post
I have a radar detector in my car. (They are legal in Maryland.)

Can radar detectors detect speed cameras?
Yes and No, a radar detector should detect speed cameras that utilize radar technology to determine the speed of your vehicle's movement from one point of the radar field to another. HOWEVER, if these speed cameras utilize sensors embedded into the road then radar detectors will not pick it up.

Speed camera@Everything2.com

Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 AM

Amazingly timely as WBALTV just reported on speed cam today. . . .

Speed Cameras: For Safety Or Revenue? - Baltimore News Story - WBAL Baltimore (http://www.wbaltv.com/news/19498347/detail.html - broken link)

The report has links to the locations of speed cameras in Rockville, Gaithersburg, and Chevy Chase for those driving through the areas.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:03 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,723,228 times
They're obviously for revenue. Even if they promote safety (which they probably do), their biggest use is as money machines. Only Mongtomery County currently has them, but the GA approved adding them in other counties, but only in school and work zones, which makes sense.

Two different cameras have caught me in the past two months, one in Germantown and one in Gaithersburg, and I was promptly mailed $40 fines. Of course you can challenge them, but the court fees cost more or the same as the fines, so it doesn't make much sense. Eventually, you learn where they are (although they keep sprouting up all over the place) so it's visitors to an area covered with the cameras that get hurt the most.

I've heard numerous hillarious "tales of revenge" including persons "mooning" the cameras, some people destroying the cameras, and high schoolers copying and printing the license plate numbers of their teachers, covering their own license plates with the paper copies, then speeding past a camera.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:25 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
Yes and No, a radar detector should detect speed cameras that utilize radar technology to determine the speed of your vehicle's movement from one point of the radar field to another. HOWEVER, if these speed cameras utilize sensors embedded into the road then radar detectors will not pick it up.

Speed camera@Everything2.com
Thanks for the information.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:37 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Isn't it funny reading about those who were caught and now calling them money makers? The cameras only take pics if you are going 10 or more miles an hour over the limit. You guys deserved your tickets. Most of the cameras are located in areas (near schools) where you need to be going a safe speed. No sympathy.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:22 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,723,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Isn't it funny reading about those who were caught and now calling them money makers? The cameras only take pics if you are going 10 or more miles an hour over the limit. You guys deserved your tickets. Most of the cameras are located in areas (near schools) where you need to be going a safe speed. No sympathy.
Okay gramps, one of the cameras where I got caught was nowhere near a school or work zone; in MoCo they don't have to be. The ones that will soon appear in all of the other MD counties do. Also, 10mph over is not very fast considering the speed limits on some of these roads (I was "flying" at 45mph in a 35mph zone?). I take it you must be one of the 2% of people who obey the 55mph limit on 270 as well huh (even the Pennsylvanians don't)?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:00 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Okay gramps, one of the cameras where I got caught was nowhere near a school or work zone; in MoCo they don't have to be. The ones that will soon appear in all of the other MD counties do. Also, 10mph over is not very fast considering the speed limits on some of these roads (I was "flying" at 45mph in a 35mph zone?). I take it you must be one of the 2% of people who obey the 55mph limit on 270 as well huh (even the Pennsylvanians don't)?
Gramps? Me? Not even close. 55 on 270? I barely did 35 on 270 this morning. I said MOST of the cameras in Montgomery are in school zones or other zones where you shouldn't speed. I recognize that there are some in ridiculous locations (like the one on Conn. Ave). Which one caught you?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:16 PM

Luckily, I have not received a speeding ticket via the speed camera. My beef isn't with speed cameras located in front of schools, it's with the ones located in the middle of nowhere like the one on Richter Farm Road in Germantown/Boyd. That one absolutely makes no sense at all.

I take Wootton to work every morning and earlier in the week on Monday, there was a police officer hiding behind the electronic sign in front of the high school pointing his radar gun at cars heading west on Wootton. Basically, he was tagging cars headed TOWARDS one of the speed camera, why? Traffic already travels between 15 and 25 mph on that stretch in front of the school already, especially during the morning commute. That's just ridiculous in my opinion.

Now, red light cameras are a whole different thing. They just makes rear-ending that much more common at those intersections. Lengthening the yellow light by two seconds longer would make more sense and increase safety that much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland