Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:21 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
You guys have been making a lot of blanket stereotypes and generalizations solely based on the color of a lady's skin and it doesn't really work that way. After a while of encountering different types of women, you'll see that there are materialistic women of all races, down to earth women of all races. The environment she was brought up in does way more to shape her qualities than skin color does. I know several white women who couldn't care less about your status, and I've also encountered several who do. Really how many six figure women of any race in dc do you know who are married to guys bringing in 30 or 40?
1. i don't necessarily think that materialism is a bad thing, if you indeed have the money to maintain that lifestyle. i think it's the american way. yes, that's a generalization but we live in a nation founded on and supported by generalizations.
2. this post is about the dating scene for white women in dc. we didn't introduce race as the topic, the op did, so any comment with regard to this post is going to have race in it because that's what the post is about. if we were going to take a quantitative approach to answering this question it'd take us 2 years to cover every last individual white woman in dc. thus, generalizations are appropriate (so long as they aren't patently offensive) in this regard.
3. this might surprise you but i think a majority of black women in dc who make 6 figures are probably married to guys who make 30 or 40k. hell, i know of at least 6 couples that fit this description in my immediate circle. i think the earning potential for black women in dc is far exceeding those of black men do to more black women going to and graduating college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:42 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,707 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svUUFIRvauE

Old 03-21-2011, 12:46 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,707 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP4SVv9cJ7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8j2e...eature=related

Old 03-21-2011, 01:06 PM

465 posts, read 928,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Jokestars, you can only be as a big of a golddigger as your environment allows. Right now, I make 60k in DC and that is seen as peons. If I was to go back to Mississippi, making 60k at the age of 26, I would be the man.
We're the same age and making almost the same amount. What I make is a big deal back home in rural Maryland. Here? I'm a peasant with all these lawyers floating around.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 PM

349 posts, read 990,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
materialism....i think it's the american way.
Huge misconception. America was founded on Puritan principles: live simply and frugally, work hard, be modest and unassuming. The culture of "bling-bling" is totally alien even to white billionaires like Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:11 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
Huge misconception. America was founded on Puritan principles: live simply and frugally, work hard, be modest and unassuming. The culture of "bling-bling" is totally alien even to white billionaires like Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg.
we'll have to agree to disagree on this one my friend. materialism was rampant then as it is now. just because one adopts puritan principles does not mean they somehow were above being materialistic. just because we all wear black slacks and white shirts to work does not mean we are incapable of being materialistic, we just choose to express our materialism in different ways. i'd pick better examples of non materialism if i were you, as neither of those guys lives a frugal or modest lifestyle.
The puritans saw slavery as an agreement with the Bible, with the only difference between northern slavery being slavery was regarded as slightly less harsh up north than the slavery in the southern colonies because the Puritans also believed that it was their responsibility to provide for the slaves' well being, both physically and spiritually. the puritan philosophy like all philosophies fall into two primary categories, Idealism, and materialism. idealists believe that the spirit or mind is primary and matter secondary. materialists believe that matter is primary and mind or spirit is secondary. any doctrine that preaches, as you stated, simple living, frugal existence, hard work, and modesty while at the same time using religious doctrine to uphold the wholesale possession and distribution of human beings as property seems very materialistic to me. why do we celebrate columbus day, when Americans have been living in America way longer than the children of Columbus? the act of colonizing a country is possessive in and of itself. how do you discover something that's already been discovered my friend?

bringing us back to the original topic, america has and will always be about materialism. it's who we are as a people. we value material. we value possessions. we are not an idealistic society. why would women in dc be any different? perhaps there are pockets of white, female, idealist in this city but i'd venture to say they are the exception to the rule.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:39 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Yeah... but you're a firefighter. That's like the number 1 fantasy for women. All else being equal, something tells me you're landing a woman before a policy analyst at the Brookings Institute.
Yea but that line actually doesn't work much in DC. It's not something I usually bring up. If I drive up to Baltimore or literally any other city, it's a different story. Here they could care less.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:03 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
I'd guess its alien to old established black professional families as well.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:28 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,298 times
its always case by case basis, i don't like to generalize
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC