Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:20 PM

33 posts, read 103,663 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job opportunity in Germantown, and I would like to live closer in to DC.

He wonders if he could take a subway to Shady Grove, and leave a car there (overnight) that he could drive the rest of the way to germantown? Would that be possible? Extremely stupid? We have no idea if anybody else does this sort of thing out there (he had this sort of arrangement in the Bay Area when we lived out in Sacramento and worked in the Bay Area -- he would take a train in and then drive the rest of the way to work in a "beater" car).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 01:45 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,535 times
Take the MARC, from Union Station to Germantown. You can park there over-night, or there are plenty parking around the MARC where you can park, that won't get towed. Germantown is pretty mellow, especially around DoE are (which I'm assuming your husband will work, since that's really it for Germantown).

It's quicker too, and "better" train than the metro.

MARC is actually cheaper too, considering you don't have to drive that much.

p.s. you're selfish for making your husband drive that long, or take the train, or whatever crap, so you can live closer to dc.

Live in Rockville.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:11 AM

Plokivos -- Thanks for the information about taking the MARC and parking, etc.

My husband currently has an hour-long drive to his work, almost always has -- so this seems like the norm to him. It is selfish to ask him to make that commute -- which is why he is definitely part of the decision-making process. If it's too awful, then we won't do this scenario.

Part of what we are aiming at is just trying to figure out where we will enjoy life the most. We've both been suburbanites for a long time, and would like to try something different. But, if it's easier for us to live in Rockville or the Kentlands or something like that, we will.

But thanks for your honesty.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:31 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,579 times
I understand that the MARC is not particularly reliable. I'm a DC resident so I don't really know.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:27 AM

512 posts, read 1,018,136 times
A hour long drive would be hell for me and many others... I would be cranky and bitter. But some people like to drive even if its being stuck in traffic for 30 miles. They just dont care. They listen to music or talk radio and relax away from family and friends. Whatever. Different strokes for different folks, i think the saying goes. But remember your killing the planet and yourself for doing it.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,535 times
DCforever - Yes. that's one of those things about MARC. But what I gathered was that MARC is as reliable as the Metro.

I drove 2 hours to work for few weeks. I'm pretty sure, that was one of the darkest time of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppenheimer View Post
My husband has a job opportunity in Germantown, and I would like to live closer in to DC.

He wonders if he could take a subway to Shady Grove, and leave a car there (overnight) that he could drive the rest of the way to germantown?
So, let me get this straight. Your husband has a job in Germantown, and I'm assuming you live somewhere near DC, which is going away from the traffic. So you want your husband to take the Metro from the place you live near DC to Shady Grove, and drive the car 15 minutes to Germantown from a car that he leaves at Kiss and Park at Shady Grove Station.

I don't get the part where it's not selfish or you have to make a "decision" for you to live near DC, because I'm assuming you either work near DC or don't work, but you want to be near DC for all the drinking and partying, while your husband is basically spending 20 to an hour on the metro, then driving an additional 15 minutes to Germantown.

Why not just move to Germantown about walking distance to your husbands work, then whenever you guys want to go to DC, take the metro, and have fun, and come back? The amount of gas and metro money you save by living near work will justify a cab ride to DC.

And honestly, if you can't afford a cab ride from Germantown to DC, then just move to DC, and have your husband go crazy over the 2 months, where he is spending an hour or so to get to his job, while you're happy with your short commute and "live near DC" so you can eventually cheat on your husband while he is stuck on a horrible traffic home, or be on a metro crash, while you're drinking your Mimosa and hitting on some D-bag, eventually ending the relationship with a terrible divorce?

I always lived near work. I discovered that I'm a better person outside work living closer to work.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:46 AM

You guys kill me...

First of all, we don't live there in DC at all yet. Never have. That's why I'm asking you all information.

Also, I'm getting this information from you to see if my ideas are crazy. [Apparently they are.]

What makes you assume that I WON'T live in Germantown? I never said I REFUSE to live in Germantown. I would PREFER to not live in a suburb because I've done that for 50 YEARS. If at all possible, it would be nice to try the city -- for the very reasons some of you are mentioning. If life were perfect, hubby would find a job in the city and we would use no car at all, and our carbon footprint would be next to nothing.

Life isn't perfect, and most likely living in Germantown would be the best option. I would like it to be otherwise, but I'm not going to FORCE my husband to make a long commute. My husband is the guy that told me to ask about parking a car at a metro near Germantown -- wasn't my idea, people. If you read my post before this, I AGREED with you, Plovikos, that it is selfish to ask my husband to make this commute. Never said it WOULDN'T be selfish. Actually AGREED with you. In fact, not only AGREED with you, but THANKED YOU for your honesty.

Now, I can see you just want to be snarky and make assumptions about people based on ZERO. It's too bad -- your information is good and interesting, but when you lapse into total crap about cheating on one's husband just because a woman would prefer to live in the city, or her drinking, or talking about divorce [oh, if only you could see who your snarking about...a woman in her 50's who has been married forever, has a great relationship with her hubby, and has never had a drink in her life] your information kind of loses it's validity.

NEWS FLASH: Hubby is "thinking" about a job in DC, wife is "thinking" about what it would be like to live closer into the city, and hubby is ALSO interested in that concept. If it's unrealistic, then it just won't be done. We make decisions based on mutual respect and love for each other. He's a smart man -- if the commute is awful, he won't do it. I assume you are a man? If so, then you don't know AT ALL what it's like for a woman in her 50's to make what will have been the 14th move in our married life. Living in a more densely populated area might make it easier for an older woman to a) make friends, and b) either volunteer or get a job. Possibly. I've been raising children for 27 years, which means sacrificing everything for the good of the family. Shoot me for wanting to try something different.

So, currently, the hubby has an hour long commute. Yes, he'd like it to be less (he is also considering a job about five minutes away from our house). But he listens to podcasts during his commute. He drives 6 hours to see our son and his family in Philly -- and LOVES IT. Commutes are different -- the drive isn't much fun, and I understand that. But the husband does enjoy driving. He probably wouldn't enjoy commuting much in DC. But remember, he wouldn't enjoy the commute, but he "might" enjoy living in the city. This isn't just a selfish old broad making a decision alone and forcing her poor husband into doing whatever it is that she wants. Oh, that I had that kind of power! [not really]

All I want is logistics about the realities of commutes and amenities and pros and cons of various locations in or just out of DC. I tried to be nice, tried to be agreeable, tried to be grateful for good information, even when posts get more than a little obnoxious. But when you start making remarks about an old lady wanting to cheat on my husband, or that I might be a lush, or heading towards a divorce -- it's seriously laughable. I just want the facts, sir or ma'am. Keep the embellishments to a minimum, if you are able.

Last edited by schleppenheimer; 08-17-2013 at 07:54 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 03:27 PM

512 posts, read 1,018,136 times
Well you did as a DC forum on places to live near DC. YOU DIDNT ASK THE MD SUBURBS FORUM.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:24 AM

Stuckinsj, I didn't ask IN THE MD SUBURBS FORUM because I was still trying to see if living IN DC would possibly be viable.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:49 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppenheimer View Post
Stuckinsj, I didn't ask IN THE MD SUBURBS FORUM because I was still trying to see if living IN DC would possibly be viable.
It is if your husband is OK with the commute. Your and his desire to live in the city is understandable. There are several business adjacent to the Shady Grove Metro. Maybe your husband can get permission to park overnight at those businesses. Note that there is a bus that runs from Shady Grove Metro to across the street from DOE. That's about an hour commute including the train, but he can read, return phone calls etc so it's not necessarily lost time like a car commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC