Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 07:13 PM

814 posts, read 911,768 times

Advertisements

Young women today aren't programmed to be domesticated because today's economy requires a dual income, that's why some hire nannies to take care of their kids while both the husband and wife go to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 12:09 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,099 times
I feel like this is the one thread in the D.C. folder that will never go away. (I guess I've just contributed to that notion by writing this.) Anyway, maybe dating or having fun wouldn't be such an issue for more guys in the area if they "grew a pair" and actually spoke to some females. I mean a few weeks back I was in a popular bar that must have been 80% male clientele (and no it was not a gay bar lol) and a group of some 5 or 6 fine young women in their early to mid 20's came in and sat down at a table. Mind you they were by themselves without any male companions. The entire 3 hours that they were there drinking and hanging out not one, and I repeat, not one gentleman came over and introduced themselves to these fine ladies. This was on a crowded Saturday evening. I mean we can all sit here and complain all day that the bar scene is akin to a "sausage-fest" but what does any of it really mean if guys aren't taking advantage of an opportunity when it becomes available.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:07 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
and a group of some 5 or 6 fine young women in their early to mid 20's came in and sat down at a table. Mind you they were by themselves without any male companions. The entire 3 hours that they were there drinking and hanging out not one, and I repeat, not one gentleman came over and introduced themselves to these fine ladies. This was on a crowded Saturday evening. I mean we can all sit here and complain all day that the bar scene is akin to a "sausage-fest" but what does any of it really mean if guys aren't taking advantage of an opportunity when it becomes available.
This is not directed at you but you are working off of false premises.

Like I said, this is not directed at you but in general, this is similar to when granny says to johnny- "hey johnny, there are 5 young ladies waiting for you to talk to them". It's as if this lone wolf is suppose to creep amongst sheep and conquer them. While in the movies it work works or being a well known employee at that place helps, 9-10 times it doesn't work for the average Joe unless you are willing to pull out some magic tricks. And as for the group of men approaching a group of women, it becomes even more tricky because the dominant guy that is leading the pack is usually going for the prettier one and leads is pack to follow who then have to fight for the other women. Even so, there has to be an even group of guys and gals. But not all men are good at group approach, let alone approaching women 1 on 1.

Approaching a group of women is very difficult because there are so many factors involved such as newcomers hostility. A solo man approaching, he has to be aware of this hostility and will have to counter this by appealing to everyone in the group while simultaneously picking up on the vibes from who is most interested in him. And if and when he sees the one that may be interested, she is not always going to be so obvious about it because she may feel embarrassed in front of her peers.

So what I am saying is approaching 5-6 women in any place is very rare and doesn't usually go over well especially when approached by 1 man. But hey, women now women to be president, equal pay, and their face on the $20 bill, I say women should stop waiting around and take charge as EQUALS or else we as men will take everything back.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:35 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,099 times
That's a great post and rebuttal half-amazing but you have to assume that these women are open to such advances patronizing an establishment whose clientele is overwhelmingly male. I would just assume that over a 3-hr. period someone or a group of people would gather the courage to at-least come over and offer to buy them a pitcher of beer. As a guy, I would almost kick my self if I let the pretty one in the group get away without ever saying a hello.

However, I agree that groups can be a daunting endeavor for many men.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:02 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
Quote:
I feel like this is the one thread in the D.C. folder that will never go away. (I guess I've just contributed to that notion by writing this.) Anyway, maybe dating or having fun wouldn't be such an issue for more guys in the area if they "grew a pair" and actually spoke to some females. I mean a few weeks back I was in a popular bar that must have been 80% male clientele (and no it was not a gay bar lol) and a group of some 5 or 6 fine young women in their early to mid 20's came in and sat down at a table. Mind you they were by themselves without any male companions. The entire 3 hours that they were there drinking and hanging out not one, and I repeat, not one gentleman came over and introduced themselves to these fine ladies. This was on a crowded Saturday evening. I mean we can all sit here and complain all day that the bar scene is akin to a "sausage-fest" but what does any of it really mean if guys aren't taking advantage of an opportunity when it becomes available.
Actually, they shouldn't have approached, anyway. Sitting at a table is basically saying, "Here for each other, not you, leave us alone." It's a physical way of closing themselves off.

Women who want men to approach sit at the bar or, if there are no seats at the bar, stand where it's easy for men to come up to them.

Another clue: If a guy goes up to the bar and the women lean together so that he has to go to either side of them, they're not interested in him. If they part and let him order his drink between them, they think he's attractive and wouldn't mind talking to him. The more you know...

Old 03-22-2015, 04:18 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
But hey, women now women to be president, equal pay, and their face on the $20 bill, I say women should stop waiting around and take charge as EQUALS or else we as men will take everything back.
How petulant. Besides, you can't take back what isn't yours to control, those being civil rights such as equal pay for equal work. More women voters than men, regardless, and sorry, kiddo, but we're not about to go backwards in time because some young guys don't know how to approach women in social settings. But nice attempt at bombast!

It's not that difficult for men with spines to meet women. My friends and I used to go out in groups of 5 to 8 women and we NEVER had a problem meeting men. Usually one guy would talk to one woman, and then his buddy would talk to another woman in the group and make a joke of it, like, "Watch your friend around this guy. He's a nut." Next thing you know, 10 people were all talking to each other.

Really, don't you kids know how to wing?

Old 03-22-2015, 05:42 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
How petulant. Besides, you can't take back what isn't yours to control, those being civil rights such as equal pay for equal work. More women voters than men, regardless, and sorry, kiddo, but we're not about to go backwards in time because some young guys don't know how to approach women in social settings. But nice attempt at bombast!

It's not that difficult for men with spines to meet women. My friends and I used to go out in groups of 5 to 8 women and we NEVER had a problem meeting men. Usually one guy would talk to one woman, and then his buddy would talk to another woman in the group and make a joke of it, like, "Watch your friend around this guy. He's a nut." Next thing you know, 10 people were all talking to each other.

Oh, welcome! Can I offer you a drink?

Old 03-22-2015, 07:14 PM

709 posts, read 766,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

God, I admire you...

Old 03-23-2015, 07:13 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times
Quote:
Maybe those guys weren't even single? Why does a guy have to holler at women just because they look attractive and they go into a spot? I have gone to restaurants/bars with some of my friends (men) and all of us are either married or in a long term relationship. There is way too much unknown in that situation to make that kind of assumption. The question is, if you saw the females, which you thought were attractive, why didn't you go talk to them?

Old 03-23-2015, 07:14 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times
Quote:
Equal rights and feminism.

If a woman can fight in a war, serve as president or be an astronaut then she can pick her butt up from her chair and introduce herself to a guy.

Its 2015 not 1934.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: