Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 01:57 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
My new favorite is Gugu Mbatha-Raw, but I think she is only 32/33. Must admit, I had to look up one or two off your list.
And if you're a non-Hispanic White woman, you really need to put the move on. I was going to put some of my all time faves on the list but they have faded dramatically in the last few years.

Angelina Jolie at age 27

http://www.celebitchy.com/wp-content.../wenn69453.jpg

Angelina Jolie at age 39

http://www.ctv.ca/getmedia/cb2041fe-...ars_Jolie.aspx

Gabrielle Union at 29

https://d1a3azwbayblep.cloudfront.ne...le_union-1.jpg

Gabrielle Union at age 42

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/d5ed...01_0105133.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 02:55 PM

144 posts, read 259,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Women are mostly the blame. They spend there younger years being picky and dismissing dudes over stupid reasons. Then once 35 hits they change their tone. I'm sure plenty of times guys have offered to get their number and/or to take them on a date and was called a creep. Those same guys that were dissed by women in their 20s because they were broke college students or didn't have any swag are now in demand when they are 35 but then they choose to date younger women instead. Women across the country must learn that their beauty is going to fade one day and once that times hits they better be married.Once you hit a certain age dudes aaren't going to approach you like they were in your 20s but women think their this is going to happen their entire life and it's false.
THIS.

I can tell you from a late 30s guy's perspective, this is 100% correct. For the past 5 years now (maybe a bit longer), I felt that the advantage has been creeping over to my side. Now successful, with relative stability and wealth, I see women that once looked fit and cute in their 20s... not so much anymore. I feel fairly empowered to date younger women and DC (maybe like many cities that attract type A people), has been good to me in this regards, so good that I dismiss women in their 20s every now and then.

Obviously, if you're in your 30s+, there's not much you can do. This is not a 'I told you so' or redemption moment, it is what it is - you're going to have to compete against women in their 20s. I think there was a female author who recently wrote a book on something of this sort.

If you're in your 20s, take all this to heart. Being selective is okay, but the more you are, the less open minded you are, and although unfair - time is definitely on the guy's side, not your's.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:26 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasridian View Post
THIS.

I can tell you from a late 30s guy's perspective, this is 100% correct. For the past 5 years now (maybe a bit longer), I felt that the advantage has been creeping over to my side. Now successful, with relative stability and wealth, I see women that once looked fit and cute in their 20s... not so much anymore. I feel fairly empowered to date younger women and DC (maybe like many cities that attract type A people), has been good to me in this regards, so good that I dismiss women in their 20s every now and then.

Obviously, if you're in your 30s+, there's not much you can do. This is not a 'I told you so' or redemption moment, it is what it is - you're going to have to compete against women in their 20s. I think there was a female author who recently wrote a book on something of this sort.

If you're in your 20s, take all this to heart. Being selective is okay, but the more you are, the less open minded you are, and although unfair - time is definitely on the guy's side, not your's.
Listen to those 2 links I posted

Old 03-02-2015, 07:29 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Listen to those 2 links I posted
because us women have such high expectations from watching the notebook and titanic.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:20 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
because us women have such high expectations from watching the notebook and titanic.
Keep those high standards

Old 03-05-2015, 12:12 PM

24 posts, read 34,048 times
Quote:
THIS.

What if you're in your 30's but you are constantly mistaken for being 24-26! Honestly, I have this problem. I'm actually trying to make myself look older by wearing certain clothes, makeup etc, because for professional purposes, it's not necessarily a good thing to look too young.

I don't really like to disclose too much information about myself to strangers, but I always find myself saying, I'm not as young as I look.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:39 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,972,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia2342 View Post
What if you're in your 30's but you are constantly mistaken for being 24-26! Honestly, I have this problem. I'm actually trying to make myself look older by wearing certain clothes, makeup etc, because for professional purposes, it's not necessarily a good thing to look too young.

I don't really like to disclose too much information about myself to strangers, but I always find myself saying, I'm not as young as I look.
Because you are appeasing to the DC culture or wherever your primary place of business is bottom line. That is also why when people post on here complaining about dating they mention their credentials and multiple degrees. Think about it, if they weren't in DC but in a city where the concentration isn't so much on education and professionalism, they wouldn't bring it up. In Miami one wears Hawaiian shirts to the office. Looking young is actually a good thing- it represents fitness and health.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:23 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
Quote:
I mentioned this on the Relationships forum--which is where this kind of general talk really should be--but I'll say it here, too. I think the whole notion of men gaining some kind of advantage in dating after 35 is questionable at best. I've seen way too many guys settling and downgrading as they approach 40 and become desperate to find someone to pop out a kid for them to believe otherwise. Heck, I've seen it with my ex-SO and his brother. Both are good-looking men with stable jobs, and have dated some attractive, intelligent women in the past. Stunners, actually. Neither one of their current women is anything to look at, and at least one has questionable ethics. One is dumpy with an oddly shaped head and looks like a dim bulb, and the other is scrawny, buck-toothed, looks like a boy, and is a cheater who left her last husband for the current.

What do they have going for them? Menstruation. That's about it. And I've seen this play out many times, with men panicking like, "OMG! What if I regret not having kids! Better find a uterus!" and taking the first loser with a few eggs left to come along.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:22 PM

144 posts, read 259,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I mentioned this on the Relationships forum--which is where this kind of general talk really should be--but I'll say it here, too. I think the whole notion of men gaining some kind of advantage in dating after 35 is questionable at best. I've seen way too many guys settling and downgrading as they approach 40 and become desperate to find someone to pop out a kid for them to believe otherwise. Heck, I've seen it with my ex-SO and his brother. Both are good-looking men with stable jobs, and have dated some attractive, intelligent women in the past. Stunners, actually. Neither one of their current women is anything to look at, and at least one has questionable ethics. One is dumpy with an oddly shaped head and looks like a dim bulb, and the other is scrawny, buck-toothed, looks like a boy, and is a cheater who left her last husband for the current.

What do they have going for them? Menstruation. That's about it. And I've seen this play out many times, with men panicking like, "OMG! What if I regret not having kids! Better find a uterus!" and taking the first loser with a few eggs left to come along.
I've seen this myself in DC so you're correct, my statement was meant to be general, but it was also meant to be more 'rule' than 'exception'. I can easily point out the overwhelming cases of old men with much younger women, unattractive fat men with beautiful model looking women, etc. In other words, if you're a female in your 20s and want to take one statement to heart, then I would understand that - while there are opportunities as you grow older - dating in your 30s will be much more complex/difficult (even obtaining a date) than dating in your 20s.

I've been to a great many happy hours where 'dumpy' women get hit on constantly by guys. BUT, and this is the big one, were I female, I wouldn't want to get breathed on by one of those guys, much less taken out on a date. There's a general rule in business - important people want to speak only to other important people. Substitute 'important' for 'physically attractive' and you can see why asymmetries develop in favor of men as both sexes get older.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:16 PM

999 posts, read 2,012,104 times
Older men can get away with this if they have A.) Money B.) Solid career and C.) Not a perverted nutjob.

In DC, I think younger women are willing to overlook your physical shortcomings at middle age (i.e. pouchy gut, the thinning hair, gray hair and increasingly saggy skin) IF, IF the guy has money and self-confidence going for him. And frankly, if the dude belongs to the elite One Percent class in the United States, it's hard NOT to be self-confident.

Mere mortals like me who have all of the physical shortcomings of middle age but without the wealth and power...usually get similar aged women in our late 30s and into 40s. And I am cool with that.

But yeah, never underestimate how shallow, scheming and materialistic single women can be in this town. It doesn't take much effort for a 40-something entrepreneur, law firm partner, big-shot lobbyist or some silver-spoon scion to have gorgeous 20-something eye candy.

Quote:
Substitute 'important' for 'physically attractive' and you can see why asymmetries develop in favor of men as both sexes get older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: