Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:25 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
How petulant. Besides, you can't take back what isn't yours to control, those being civil rights such as equal pay for equal work. More women voters than men, regardless, and sorry, kiddo, but we're not about to go backwards in time because some young guys don't know how to approach women in social settings. But nice attempt at bombast!

It's not that difficult for men with spines to meet women. My friends and I used to go out in groups of 5 to 8 women and we NEVER had a problem meeting men. Usually one guy would talk to one woman, and then his buddy would talk to another woman in the group and make a joke of it, like, "Watch your friend around this guy. He's a nut." Next thing you know, 10 people were all talking to each other.

Really, don't you kids know how to wing?
This post is EVERYTHING! The sad part is, the lack of testicular fortitude spans not only the 20-somethings, but many of the 30-somethings (and dare I say 40-somethings) who are on the dating market. I'm in my early 30s, and I remember the time when you could go out and things would happen exactly this way. Group of girls, group (or even just a couple) of guys kinda just migrated towards each other, start to talk, maybe have a drink, either there was a connection, or both parties moved on. It wasn't rocket science, and these people weren't overly gregarious, it was just the way the world worked!

I think now though, men are wimps and timid and are afraid to step to women anymore. I don't believe the whole "women are too independent" nonsense either. It also may be a cultural thing too, because I've noticed that many American men are way less likely to engage, than European, Middle Eastern, or African men who have NO qualms about introducing themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 08:01 AM

720 posts, read 1,555,069 times
And then women will turn around make videos, create movements saying STOP STREET HARASSMENT! when a guy approaches them in the street just to say hi. Which one is it ladies

Old 03-23-2015, 08:10 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
And then women will turn around make videos, create movements saying STOP STREET HARASSMENT! when a guy approaches them in the street just to say hi. Which one is it ladies
I think we all know the difference between being at a restaurant/bar/club and a man approaching to say hello, and some random dude on the street telling us to "smile girl" or "can go where you're going?" or any of the other inappropriate catcalls made to many women during the course of their day.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:28 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
I think we all know the difference between being at a restaurant/bar/club and a man approaching to say hello, and some random dude on the street telling us to "smile girl" or "can go where you're going?" or any of the other inappropriate catcalls made to many women during the course of their day.
I don't think it's that clear. I had a female coworker tell me how uncomfortable she feels in bars since she was groped in one. Every woman is different. It's hard for guys to know which ones they are dealing with.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,071 times
Considering hanging out in Reston, VA. Specifically at McCormick and Shmicks or Jackson's , in Reston Town Center.

Cougars and MILFs seem to have a great time there

Old 03-23-2015, 09:06 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Considering hanging out in Reston, VA. Specifically at McCormick and Shmicks or Jackson's , in Reston Town Center.

Cougars and MILFs seem to have a great time there
Agreed! If I lived in the area I'd be there all the time.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:16 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Equal rights and feminism.

If a woman can fight in a war, serve as president or be an astronaut then she can pick her butt up from her chair and introduce herself to a guy.

Its 2015 not 1934.
Of course she can. But in this situation with the women at the table, I don't suppose it occurs to you that maybe they were not interested in meeting men. They could have all had boyfriends. They could have been colleagues in town for a conference. They could have been bridesmaids going out after planning something for the bride. They could have been cousins. They could have been former classmates or sorority sisters getting together to catch up or reminisce. If the place was truly 80% male, maybe they thought they wandered into a gay bar and were fine with it.

And maybe, just maybe, they were interested in sitting and having drinks with their friends and simply couldn't be arsed with men, hence the table. The truth that some guys don't seem to accept is that women don't necessarily want men approaching them when they go out. In some cities, there are options for avoiding men--when my friends and I just wanted to have a few and go dancing we'd go to a gay club. (Any old-timers remember Tracks?) But not everywhere has such options. Fortunately for DC it does, but even then. Sometimes you just want to hang with your friends.

Bottom line is that if a woman thinks you're attractive, she'll let you know, even if she doesn't walk right up to you and announce it. There really seems to be something going on here with guys not being able to pick up signals or read body language. Maybe you guys should look up from your phones once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I don't think it's that clear. I had a female coworker tell me how uncomfortable she feels in bars since she was groped in one. Every woman is different. It's hard for guys to know which ones they are dealing with.
Then she shouldn't go to bars. And she doesn't know how to go to bars, either. Back in the day, my friends and I pretty much owned Sign of the Whale on M Street. We clustered at the far end of the bar and the fireplace. Bartenders knew our names, our drinks, and as this was before cell phones, were fine with us calling the bar and would hand the phone to our friends when we were running late. No one, but NO ONE tried to grope us, and if they did, a huge bartender by the name of Oscar took care of it. The place hasn't changed. If you guys can't meet women there, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:30 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
This post is EVERYTHING! The sad part is, the lack of testicular fortitude spans not only the 20-somethings, but many of the 30-somethings (and dare I say 40-somethings) who are on the dating market. I'm in my early 30s, and I remember the time when you could go out and things would happen exactly this way. Group of girls, group (or even just a couple) of guys kinda just migrated towards each other, start to talk, maybe have a drink, either there was a connection, or both parties moved on. It wasn't rocket science, and these people weren't overly gregarious, it was just the way the world worked!

I think now though, men are wimps and timid and are afraid to step to women anymore. I don't believe the whole "women are too independent" nonsense either. It also may be a cultural thing too, because I've noticed that many American men are way less likely to engage, than European, Middle Eastern, or African men who have NO qualms about introducing themselves.
Tons of threads on Relationships about this. Too much failure to launch (student debt is understandable, social awkwardness in a 25-year-old, not so much), too much of a reliance on technology, failure of parents and the educational system in teaching boys how to lose gracefully so that even the simplest "no, thank you" results in crippling angst or ridiculous rage...

I stopped doing online dating after a few months of it last spring and summer. You're right, even guys in their 40s can be difficult. With them, I don't think it's so much timidity and fear of rejection as much as overuse of technology, AKA laziness. (Gawd, the texting. The TEXTING! What, too much strain on the brain to think and speak in real time? ) So when I get back to my beautiful Washington, D.C. this summer, I won't be meeting people through OLD. Friends of friends, cultural events, volunteering, all of that fun stuff will suffice, and if it doesn't, well, I'll still be having a great time anyway!

Old 03-23-2015, 01:18 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,574 times
Maybe the moral of the story is this:

1. Guys don't understand how to take a hint and/or read subtle cues
2. An unusually high percentage of men are afraid to approach due to fear of rejection and/or perceived humiliation.
3. DC probably has a slightly higher percentage of nerdy guys who lack social grace and confidence.
4. Guys are blaming their failure to meet and converse with women due to the competitive nature of the city. When in fact these same guys would struggle in whatever city they relocated too.

but more so option 2 than anything else.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:25 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Maybe the moral of the story is this:

1. Guys don't understand how to take a hint and/or read subtle cues
2. An unusually high percentage of men are afraid to approach due to fear of rejection and/or perceived humiliation.
3. DC probably has a slightly higher percentage of nerdy guys who lack social grace and confidence.
4. Guys are blaming their failure to meet and converse with women due to the competitive nature of the city. When in fact these same guys would struggle in whatever city they relocated too.

but more so option 2 than anything else.
Sounds about right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: