Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 04:02 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Part of North America.

America without the North or South distinction means USA. Failing to preface America means we could throw Santiago, Buenos Aires, and a host of others into the mix.

Ask any Canuck. He'll tell you. Man, we'll he tell you.
It doesn't to educated people. America includes North, Central and South. It's important to use language with precision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 06:57 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,642 times
When people say NYC and SF are more "European", I think they are more describing the overall cultural feel of those cities. Both NYC and SF have large ethnic European populations whereas DC does not. DC's white population is more closely related to New England WASP culture than that of ethnic European nationalities like Irish, Russians and Italians. In terms of actual culture, I don't think of DC as European. Historically, the main culture in DC is the unique homegrown black culture. But slowly, the homegrown black culture in DC of Go-Go music, local independent clothing boutiques, ghetto unpretentious nightclubs and hood carryout spots are being displaced with yuppieization and gentrification in the addition of suburban corporate middle American staples like Walmart, Chipotle, CVS and things like Capital bikeshare.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:27 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,714 times
I think what throws people off is that European is such a broad term with so many different cultures that people associate European with different things. SF is definitely very Portuguese, DC is very French/Belgian, NYC is somewhat similar to London, Boston is very similar to many British cities, New Orleans is very Spanish

Old 03-20-2015, 09:55 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
When people say NYC and SF are more "European", I think they are more describing the overall cultural feel of those cities. Both NYC and SF have large ethnic European populations whereas DC does not. DC's white population is more closely related to New England WASP culture than that of ethnic European nationalities like Irish, Russians and Italians. In terms of actual culture, I don't think of DC as European. Historically, the main culture in DC is the unique homegrown black culture. But slowly, the homegrown black culture in DC of Go-Go music, local independent clothing boutiques, ghetto unpretentious nightclubs and hood carryout spots are being displaced with yuppieization and gentrification in the addition of suburban corporate middle American staples like Walmart, Chipotle, CVS and things like Capital bikeshare.
DC's white population used to be a solid mix of WASPs, Jews, and ethnic Europeans but that ended back in the 1960's. Now, it's practically WASP for the most part.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I think what throws people off is that European is such a broad term with so many different cultures that people associate European with different things. SF is definitely very Portuguese, DC is very French/Belgian, NYC is somewhat similar to London, Boston is very similar to many British cities, New Orleans is very Spanish
This.

Savannah (at least the Historic District area) and Charleston are very British looking cities as well.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:52 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,619 times
Older Colonial cities do have a somewhat of a European vibe. What a thoughtful observation. Regardless of which continent it "resembles" I feel Washington, D.C. with is beautiful public buildings, monuments, parks and greenery is gorgeous no matter what. One of the most beautiful in the country in my opinion and worthy to be the capital of our beloved country!

Old 03-21-2015, 11:46 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
DC's white population used to be a solid mix of WASPs, Jews, and ethnic Europeans but that ended back in the 1960's. Now, it's practically WASP for the most part.
tcave, you've mentioned this on these threads several times before. Do you have any links with information? When I try and search, the only information that comes up is about newer ethnic groups (Ethiopians, El Salvadorians), but nothing about historical European groups in DC (other than stuff related to embassy's). Growing up in the DMV, I've never heard about European ethnic enclaves being in DC, other than a strong Jewish presence in some parts of the city.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
tcave, you've mentioned this on these threads several times before. Do you have any links with information? When I try and search, the only information that comes up is about newer ethnic groups (Ethiopians, El Salvadorians), but nothing about historical European groups in DC (other than stuff related to embassy's). Growing up in the DMV, I've never heard about European ethnic enclaves being in DC, other than a strong Jewish presence in some parts of the city.
Yes I have provided links explaining that subject in various threads on this forum and in City vs. City in the past. Imma dig some up for you.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:30 PM

256 posts, read 311,707 times
Boston!

Old 03-21-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Here's one thread people have provided information including myself (unfortunately some of the links no longer have the in-depth information regarding a European presence in DC for some reason):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...claves-dc.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC