Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 08:44 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,218,713 times

Advertisements

This is for you personne.

European DC (read the comments):

http://www.reddit.com/r/washingtondc...ghborhoods_in/

Jewish DC:

https://www.jhsgw.org/exhibitions/on.../neighborhoods

Chinese DC (not European but just a little side history on DC's Chinatown):

http://www.diasporaalliance.org/wash...tural-enclave/

http://www.ccccdc.org/templates/page...=476&zoneid=18

German DC:

http://www.theusgenweb.org/dcgenweb/...old_wash.shtml

Irish DC:

http://www.theusgenweb.org/dcgenweb/history/irish.shtml

Southwest DC:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Waterfront

Last edited by tcave360; 03-21-2015 at 09:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 12:18 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Thanks! Interesting. I figured there were probably some immigrant neighborhoods at NW at some time. It looks like SW was the other main area of DC that had some enclaves.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:45 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,112,548 times
@Lunatic. You've hit the nail on the head. Whenever people (or newspaper articles) mention San Francisco and New York as being "the most European cities in the US", they're talking about a Europeanized way of life: a real sidewalk culture, actually walking to do most general errands, taking public transportation as much or more than your car (and not even owning a car), doing your food shopping several times a week on foot rather than once every two weeks with your vehicle. Here in NY, most of us in all 5 boroughs really do that, and like it. Only in NY and San Fran does this lifestyle really dominate the way it dominates life in large European cities or in Canadian cities like Montreal. And while it is also possible to live this way in New Orleans, Washington, Boston, Philadelphia, Portland, and Chicago, it would be in a far more restricted number of neighborhoods. Once you get beyond those last cities, it becomes very hard to find in America, no matter how much "European architecture" a city has.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 03-22-2015 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 06:27 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,515,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@Lunatic. You've hit the nail on the head. Whenever people (or newspaper articles) mention San Francisco and New York as being "the most European cities in the US", they're talking about a Europeanized way of life: a real sidewalk culture, actually walking to do most general errands, taking public transportation as much or more than your car (and not even owning a car), doing your food shopping several times a week on foot rather than once every two weeks with your vehicle. Here in NY, most of us in all 5 boroughs really do that, and like it. Only in NY and San Fran does this lifestyle really dominate the way it dominates life in large European cities or in Canadian cities like Montreal. And while it is also possible to live this way in New Orleans, Washington, Boston, Philadelphia, Portland, and Chicago, it would be in a far more restricted number of neighborhoods. Once you get beyond those last cities, it becomes very hard to find in America, no matter how much "European architecture" a city has.
DC has the second highest rate of carless houses in the US behind NYC. DC is very European in the aspect that most people walk or take public transit for their day to day activity

Old 03-22-2015, 07:14 PM

324 posts, read 467,869 times
This is a silly argument because no American city can hold a candle to a city like Paris. I just visited Istanbul and it is also an incredible city that I would put in that category.... American cities do not come close. Everything from the scale of the streets/buildings, the street layouts, zoning laws, Traffic patterns, etc make it impossible.

the European cities I've been to are fundamentally different than American cities for reasons much deeper than just the ability to walk to the grocery store or get to work without a car

Last edited by r_u_a_wizard; 03-22-2015 at 07:59 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
DC has the second highest rate of carless houses in the US behind NYC. DC is very European in the aspect that most people walk or take public transit for their day to day activity
I don't disagree, although the "carless" rate in Washington has a lot to do with the poverty rate within the confines of D.C. In terms of a "Europeanized city" in the other ways I mentioned, New York outdoes D.C. by a mile (even most neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens do). Ditto San Francisco. I think Washington compares more to Center City Philadelphia or Uptown New Orleans. Some D.C. neighborhoods just about reach that but nowhere near the New York level. And that's really what all those newspaper articles mean: Europeanized lifestyle, which does confuse some people.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 03-22-2015 at 08:11 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post
This is a silly argument because no American city can hold a candle to a city like Paris. I just visited Istanbul and it is also an incredible city that I would put in that category.... American cities do not come close. Everything from the scale of the streets/buildings, the street layouts, zoning laws, Traffic patterns, etc make it impossible.

the European cities I've been to are fundamentally different than American cities for reasons much deeper than just the ability to walk to the grocery store or get to work without a car
I lived in Paris for three years, RuAWizard. North American cities look very different from Paris, but I find New York and Montreal match the overall lifestyle in Paris more than any other cities in North America (and even more than some cities in Europe). Parisians I've met have all told me that. And though I love Paris, I still prefer New York (in most ways).

Old 03-22-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Exactly.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree, although the "carless" rate in Washington has a lot to do with the poverty rate within the confines of D.C. In terms of a "Europeanized city" in the other ways I mentioned, New York outdoes D.C. by a mile (even most neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens do). Ditto San Francisco. I think Washington compares more to Center City Philadelphia or Uptown New Orleans. Some D.C. neighborhoods just about reach that but nowhere near the New York level. And that's really what all those newspaper articles mean: Europeanized lifestyle, which does confuse some people.
What do you mean?

Old 03-22-2015, 08:38 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,515,068 times
Quote:
DC is ranked as the 3rd richest city in America behind SF & San Jose... Do you know what you're talking about?
http://time.com/3546731/wealthiest-cities/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC