Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 16,494 times

Advertisements

i've seen several postings that the women have a tough time dating in dc (the ratio does not favor them). but I've been to the VA side of the MSA several times (Rosslyn, Clarendon, Crystal City) and it seemed pretty manish over there. Are all the females on the DC side and the dudes on the VA side? Also, are most of the single people real young or is there a decent mix of 35 - 45 singles?

I live in a real dude fest kind of place where everyone is either loved up or a rogue so I just want to make sure that their is at least a reasonable dating pool in my next locale - thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 11:27 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,220,300 times
Its not location but spots you wanna focus on. Hit the malls and grocery stores and the right bars/restaurants/hotel lounges...you'll find all the women you could ever need in life.... Most of the women I meet live in VA or Maryland...

Old 07-11-2008, 08:02 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
IMHO the best place for the over 40 single guy would be New York.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:00 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labourdonnais View Post
i've seen several postings that the women have a tough time dating in dc (the ratio does not favor them). but I've been to the VA side of the MSA several times (Rosslyn, Clarendon, Crystal City) and it seemed pretty manish over there. Are all the females on the DC side and the dudes on the VA side? Also, are most of the single people real young or is there a decent mix of 35 - 45 singles?

I live in a real dude fest kind of place where everyone is either loved up or a rogue so I just want to make sure that their is at least a reasonable dating pool in my next locale - thanks
I totally know what you mean. Here's the problem:

NoVA Single Guy in 40's: Engineer, Techie, or Military; Fairly Conservative or doesn't really care about politics; Went to Virginia Tech, Big 10 or SEC school; Wears Dockers Clothing; Listens to Clapton; Probably from Midwest or South; Likes Dinners at Chevys; Drinks beer; Only follows current events as it relates to sports.

DC Single Woman in 40's: Policy Analyst, Public Relations, Lawyer, Management in Gov't; Extremely Liberal; Very Stylish; Listens to Jazz or likes to go to the Kennedy Center; Ivy League School or similar; Probably from Northeast or California; Likes to eat at Westend Cafe; Drinks wine; News junkie.

It's like oil and water. When I try to set up people like this, the woman dominates the conversation 90% of the time and then says she not interested because the guy is boring and kind of schlumpy.

Unfortunately, I think the types of guys that the woman would be interested in (i.e. successful, male versions of themselves) actually prefer to date hot 25 year olds.

And the Nova men would probably prefer a lower maintenance school teacher or nurse to date.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:32 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,097 times
Avoid using the phrase "dude fest" and you should increase your odds significantly

I think slim04's pretty accurate, though I don't think it breaks down along gender lines so strictly. As a male in the latter category, there are women in NoVA that fit that beer/sports description in their own way and men in DC / Arlington that fit the jazz/Kennedy description.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:57 AM

658 posts, read 1,893,588 times
well, or another scenerio..39, born in NY went school in the south, single, engineer, phd, went to ACC school, plays(ed) soccer, listen to metal, likes to mtn bike, doesn't care about politics, works to live not lives to work, a smiles too much..has blue eyes (something I noticed was not very common here - maybe it is just where I have been so far)..

Old 07-11-2008, 10:01 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,685 times
I imagine all this hype regarding the skewed women-to-men ratios in East Coast cities such as New York, Baltimore, Philly, and DC (where supposedely single women outnumber single men by a staggering number) has to do with the large population of poor people and African Americans who live in the ghettos.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 16,494 times
Default get a kick out of your replys

slim04 has me pegged pretty well lol. and I also like talkers! as someone mentioned i've thought about NYC and have family not too far away, but I am just not sure I can take it there - I'm in the defense business (DC having more jobs relative to my experience) and I've always enjoyed my visits to dc. was trying to be polite with the "dude fest" thing, we have less endearing terms for it here - ha ha

Old 07-14-2008, 10:24 AM

209 posts, read 984,600 times
Slim04's description is pretty funny and has the feel of truth. But who knows how accurate that type of "pop sociology" stuff ever really is.

My impression is that if you're a man and you live in DC proper (not the suburbs, no not even Arlington/Alexandria/Bethesda, etc), those high falutin' DC women will give you a lot of extra points. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:48 AM

333 posts, read 999,304 times
I don't think it matters where you live as much as finding your niche. You have a find a place your comfortable with and hang out there and see what happens.

Personally I like the Connecticut Ave - DuPont Circle area. True there are lots of kids there but you'll also find some 30's and 40's as well. The area is pretty safe and not far from the foreign embassy's so its very diverse.

If anyone knows of other good places to hang out please post them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC