Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 12,404 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a full-time internship at American University in August, and am trying to decide whether I want to live in DC or commute in from northern VA. Any advice on what would be the best bet, in terms of cost of living and commute? I'm originally from the northern VA area but haven't lived there in years so I'm not well-versed in the traffic patterns these days.

Right now, I'd like to live near the Tyson's Corner/McLean area, so I can hop on Chain Bridge Road and take it all the way into DC (Canal Street) which is right by American. What kind of commute would that be?

I thought about the Arlington area, but it seems out of my price range (I'm hoping for less than $1000 per month, including utilities), and it doesn't seem that convenient for getting to American.

If I were to live in DC, what would the likelihood be of me finding a place with a washer/dryer and my own bathroom, in a safe neighborhood, and within my budget?

I prefer to live with a roommate or two so hopefully that'll help with the rent..

Any advice would be much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 10:47 AM

470 posts, read 2,095,860 times
If I were you, there's no way I would consider living in Tyson's -- chain bridge or no that drive is much more of a hassle than you need.

Since you're willing to have roommates, I don't see why you couldn't rent a room in a place right around AU in Tenleytown, Friendship Heights, Cleveland Park or Glover Park.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 12,404 times
Thanks for the response. I had been hoping to live closer to Tyson's, mostly because I'd be able to live with a friend, but if it's just not feasible then I'd rather not. Do others agree that the commute from McLean to AU would just not be worth it?

Old 05-04-2009, 01:44 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,568 times
THat's an insane commute in my opinion.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:48 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,106 times
I wouldn't do that commute unless you can live rent-free in the Tyson's area (and are willing to leave for work around 6:30 am).

Old 05-04-2009, 04:55 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,085 times
I think also there is some road work on Chain Bridge Road/Rt.123 (i.e. the route toward AU from Tysons) that's going on for the next few years.

Really, it's not worth it. Spend a few extra bucks and live closer in.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:53 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,792 times
I definitely wouldn't recommend living in Tysons while working at AU. All roads heading into DC are very congested in the morning plus as mentioned there is A TON of construction going on in the Tysons area as they widen the Beltway and build the Metro extension through the area. My company's office is out there and I've noticed it is taking me considerably longer to get around many of the back roads as more people are using them to avoid construction delays.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:07 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,626 times
Tyson's is just too much of a commute. If you really don't want to live in DC, look in MD.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:57 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
I'm surprised by the comments. Commuting over the Chain Bridge is not too bad at all. From Mclean or Arlington it's not a bad route to AU. Maybe they mean from Tyson's is bad, but it isn't too bad from Mclean or Arlinigton.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:15 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,792 times
Just depends on which part of "McLean" the OP is in. I tend to use McLean and Tysons interchangably and yes I meant more of the area towards the malls and office complexes where many apartment communities are located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC