Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:44 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMT333 View Post
I lived in the Fairhaven Park apartments for 4 years. over 50% of the tenants were college students,
Which apartments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniSue22 View Post
I'm tied between both North and South. North seems great because it's not so congested, More open space, possibly more trees? (can anyone verify that?). The south side seems great because from what i've read, it has alot of recreational activities. Will it be hard to find a nice apartment under $950 a month, in either the north or south side of town?

Actually the North Side is more congested than the south. Especially in the Mall/Cordata area. Access and egress is problematic especially at rush hour and the weekends. Although much of the Southside is away from the Freeway, so access can also take time.

As to the $950, how many bedrooms? Are there children involved?

Old 07-11-2010, 02:02 PM

19 posts, read 39,976 times
Quote:
Are you moving here with a family or by yourself? We can't give you a good idea on the price unless you tell us how big of an apartment you need.
It will be my fiancee and I. We are looking for a 2 bedroom.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:25 PM

You have to look hard, but places like this can be found on the southside. You have to jump when they come up though.

Southside View Condo with Yard! (http://bellingham.craigslist.org/apa/1833879812.html - broken link)

Old 07-11-2010, 02:58 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,370 times
Well, I'm paying under $900 a month for a one bedroom condo in Fairhaven that has an underground parking garage. I'm by the university and I can absolutely assure you this building is not full of college kids. Elderly retired folks would be much more accurate.

I believe the south side IS more expensive when you're looking to buy, which I'll do eventually. But from talking to coworkers who rent, and perusing Craigslist ads, I don't see an overwhelming difference in rents between the south and north ends among what appear to be comparable units. In fact, more than just a few coworkers were impressed with my living arrangements here and were surprised at what I was paying. But, I did look around for a while before finding this place.

And one thing the other poster who is recommending renting on the north side hasn't mentioned is the abundance of complexes which house Section 8 and low income people. These are sprinkled everywhere in the Cordata area - on Kellogg and Spring Creek Apartments, I don't know. But I wouldn't want to live in any apartment complex in Cordata, the Sunset Pond apartments, and anything in Birchwood/Maplewood, Texas Street, and the "Michigan" streets like Superior, Ontario, St. Clair, etc. on the base of Alabama hill. And if I did live in any of these places, I'd insist on having a garage. Vehicle prowling problems are absolutely RAMPANT in these areas - as in roving break-in sprees that hit several blocks with dozens of cars damaged.

I'd say if you have to secure a place sight unseen, the apartments you're looking at would be just fine - their website does make the place look nice and I can see why you're interested in them. But I would still sign the shortest lease possible, get on Craigslist, and find a private rental somewhere on the south side. But that's just me...

Old 07-11-2010, 03:43 PM

I live across the street from Lake Samish. Rents here are about 10 to 15% cheaper than the south side. Unless you get really lucky,

Old 07-11-2010, 04:12 PM

30 posts, read 88,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
Well, I'm paying under $900 a month for a one bedroom condo in Fairhaven that has an underground parking garage. I'm by the university and I can absolutely assure you this building is not full of college kids. Elderly retired folks would be much more accurate.

I believe the south side IS more expensive when you're looking to buy, which I'll do eventually. But from talking to coworkers who rent, and perusing Craigslist ads, I don't see an overwhelming difference in rents between the south and north ends among what appear to be comparable units. In fact, more than just a few coworkers were impressed with my living arrangements here and were surprised at what I was paying. But, I did look around for a while before finding this place.

And one thing the other poster who is recommending renting on the north side hasn't mentioned is the abundance of complexes which house Section 8 and low income people. These are sprinkled everywhere in the Cordata area - on Kellogg and Spring Creek Apartments, I don't know. But I wouldn't want to live in any apartment complex in Cordata, the Sunset Pond apartments, and anything in Birchwood/Maplewood, Texas Street, and the "Michigan" streets like Superior, Ontario, St. Clair, etc. on the base of Alabama hill. And if I did live in any of these places, I'd insist on having a garage. Vehicle prowling problems are absolutely RAMPANT in these areas - as in roving break-in sprees that hit several blocks with dozens of cars damaged.

I'd say if you have to secure a place sight unseen, the apartments you're looking at would be just fine - their website does make the place look nice and I can see why you're interested in them. But I would still sign the shortest lease possible, get on Craigslist, and find a private rental somewhere on the south side. But that's just me...

What the hell? How long have you lived in Bellingham? I've lived here all my life - 23 years, and the Cordata neighborhoods are some of the safest.

LaniSue22 check out Bellingham, WA Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Bellingham - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

go through each of the statistics, and the "quaint" south bellingham blows cordata out of the water when it comes to shootings, vehicle prowls, thefts, burglaries, and "gasp" gang activity.

edit:
you are gonna have to copy and paste that link, its not letting me hyperlink it for some reason.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:32 PM

19 posts, read 39,976 times
Can anyone suggest specific apartment complexes? Preferably something with garages. We would prefer a house but I heard they can be a bit pricey. I'm open to suggestions in North or South Bellingham. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2010, 05:24 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniSue22 View Post
Can anyone suggest specific apartment complexes? Preferably something with garages. We would prefer a house but I heard they can be a bit pricey. I'm open to suggestions in North or South Bellingham. Thanks!
Rather than trying to set up a move, why don't you visit first and see if you even like Bellingham? Just come to Washington and see if you could really live here. Oregon might be a better fit than Washington.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:26 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,370 times
Quote:
What the hell? How long have you lived in Bellingham? I've lived here all my life - 23 years, and the Cordata neighborhoods are some of the safest.
First, how does your 23 years of living here make you more knowledgeable when it comes to a NEWER neighborhood? You act like you grew up in Cordata, which is an impossibility.

Second, if Cordata puts the south end to shame, explain to all of us how Greenbriar Construction can charge at least $55K more for an identical home on Adams and Midwood Streets (south side) than it can on Bedford Street in Cordata.

I never said Cordata was "bad," per se. But from a planning perspective, it's a mess. You have age 55+ communities next door to single family homes next to Section 8 apartment complexes next to commercial districts next to the massive Darby Estates condo project. You won't find this kind of discombobulation, or concentration of renters all in one spot, on the south side except immediately next to the university, and even then it's college kids versus low income adults. Cordata's single virtue would be the fact a college student could walk to Bellingham Technical College.

Here's an eye opener for you. Drive south on Eliza from Bakerview, past the condos, and into the "neighborhood" it dead-ends into. You know, kind of where the homeless camp is where that woman was strangled? I challenge you to show me *anything* in the whole of Bellingham that looks like that community.

Sorry, I just find it absurd you think the north side and Cordata is all that and a bag of chips, while people still flock to the south side despite its significantly higher real estate prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington