Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:52 AM

116 posts, read 372,399 times

Advertisements

I have lived here almost my enitre life, here is the rundown:

Seattle-especially north Seattle around Green Lake nice but very pricey,West seattle is nice too
Issaquah- Expensive, good schools offer everything,safe
North Bend- same as Issaquah more rural
Redmond- in the shadow of microsoft, really up to date, expensive in some areas, decent schools
Bellevue-good schools, expenisve, resonable safety, yuppies
Mercer Island- you better have some cash, nice all around
Tacoma- by Stadium/Ruston is really nice, East Tacoma bad
Bonney Lake- rural meets suburban, growing rapidly decent schools
Puyallup- good schools with great sports, houses up in the hills are really nice
Fife area- good schools,close knit area between cities, decent housing prices
Auburn- schools have awesome athletics/decent academics, nice areas in the hills
Kent- same as above, nice housing limited to the secluded hills
Federal Way- schools are decent offer IB program classes, housing is decent to good away from 99.
Mill Creek- a lot like Issaquah, good schools with great sports, nice housing
Silverdale- decent all around
Olympia- is decent school wise, housing is alright,very liberal
Gig Harbor-nice area and housing decent schools,expensive
Olympia to Vancouver- schools are smaller, rural with alot of forests, don't know a lot about housing
Peninsula- really rural except for Aberdeen,Port Townsend and other towns,
if you like the outdoors it's the place to go
North from Seattle to Canada- quanit places like the San Juans and Edmonds, mountain towns,but not alot there
Places I do not care for:
Burien
Des Moines
White Center
Most of Renton
East and South Seattle
Most of Tacoma
Most of Everett

If you agree/disagree post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 08:37 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,167,066 times
Quote:
You should have said "I have lived in the Seattle area almost my entire life". Had you, then your quote "Olympia to Vancouver- schools are smaller, rural with alot of forests, don't know a lot about housing" would be easier to stomach.

Vancouver is NOT rural. It's the fourth largest city in Washington, Evergreen School district is one of the largest in Washington as well. Forests, yeah we have plenty of those, as do many other areas of western Washington. House prices are high thanks to the Portland influence, but recent news stories say they are dropping in recent months.

Between Olympia and Vancouver (the I-5 corridor) has it's rural areas, but it defiantly looses that feel once you travel south of LaCenter.

Here's a quick rundown of Vancouver.
http://www.imagesvancouver.com/_downloads/Community_Profile.pdf (broken link)

Take a trip down here some day. You may change your mind.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:55 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Edmonds is not a "mountain town". It's South of Lynnwood, near Mount Lake Terrace. Slightly north of North Seattle. And you are comparing it to the San Juan Islands?

Some of your points I agree with, but some are way off. Especially most of the areas you rated as "good schools".

Redmond is expensive in ALL areas, not some.

What's "east Seattle"?? Do you just mean... Seattle?

Frankly, if you lived there your whole life, everyone should figure out which school district you were in - and NOT move there.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:02 PM

116 posts, read 372,399 times
Well when I meant Olympia to Vancouver. I didn't include Vancouver. And yes I have been to Vasncouve many times and I can see how housing prices would be bad considering thw whole income tax-sales tax thing.Centralai and Chehalis which are the biggest towns and others like Rochester,Tenino,Oakville between the two are very "small" thats why I made my comment.

When did I saw Edmonds was a mountain town? I said it was quaint. Then I proceeded to say some mountain towns were nice. I should of listed Concrete,Darrington, and Carnation.

East Seattle is the Ranier Beach area.

Some apartments prices in Redmond are decent.

I have moved around a bit and my parents both worked for various districts uo here in Washington, So i have a feel for the schools. I believe some people (parents especially) are way to quick to quick to jusdge schools. Every school has the same AP/honors courses, all schools have SOME great teachers, most violence/fights at schools is extremely petty and doesn't affect most students. Drugs are always there,( even more so at rich schools) and you can choose to be involved in that or not. Athletic programs tend to be better at certain schools. All schools churn out a few people to top schools. I am sick of people complaining about how their children don't learn in schools because the schools themselves are sub-par. Maybe these same people should ask their kids how much effort they put
in.

This rant is not directed to the poster

Umm no I was say the San Juans and Edmonds were both quaint. I was not comparing them.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 24,854 times
Default Hello

What about Oak Harbor, Whidbey Island area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post

Seattle-especially north Seattle around Green Lake nice but very pricey,West seattle is nice too
Issaquah- Expensive, good schools offer everything,safe
North Bend- same as Issaquah more rural
Redmond- in the shadow of microsoft, really up to date, expensive in some areas, decent schools
Bellevue-good schools, expenisve, resonable safety, yuppies
Mercer Island- you better have some cash, nice all around
Tacoma- by Stadium/Ruston is really nice, East Tacoma bad
Bonney Lake- rural meets suburban, growing rapidly decent schools
Puyallup- good schools with great sports, houses up in the hills are really nice
Fife area- good schools,close knit area between cities, decent housing prices
Auburn- schools have awesome athletics/decent academics, nice areas in the hills
Kent- same as above, nice housing limited to the secluded hills
Federal Way- schools are decent offer IB program classes, housing is decent to good away from 99.
Mill Creek- a lot like Issaquah, good schools with great sports, nice housing
Silverdale- decent all around
Olympia- is decent school wise, housing is alright,very liberal
Gig Harbor-nice area and housing decent schools,expensive
Olympia to Vancouver- schools are smaller, rural with alot of forests, don't know a lot about housing
Peninsula- really rural except for Aberdeen,Port Townsend and other towns,
if you like the outdoors it's the place to go
North from Seattle to Canada- quanit places like the San Juans and Edmonds, mountain towns,but not alot there
Places I do not care for:
Burien
Des Moines
White Center
Most of Renton
East and South Seattle
Most of Tacoma
Most of Everett

If you agree/disagree post

Old 08-29-2008, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 25,131 times
I just want to say that Everett has some nice areas. The water front is going to be amazing with the completion of the Condo/shopping area. To bad I'm selling my house there so I won't get to enjoy it.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:09 PM

130 posts, read 428,541 times
Loved Mount Vernon, didn't care too much for Burlington or Sedro Woolley. The hermit in me absolutely ADORED Marblemount.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:36 AM

13 posts, read 50,041 times
what about leavenworth?

Old 09-02-2008, 01:44 PM

11 posts, read 49,538 times
What do you know about the Mukilteo area? I'm thinking of going there.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 18,519 times
We live in Breezy Point, Minnesota (northern Mn) & are thinking about moving to Washington. We have 4 kids ages 15, 6, 2, & 5 months so good schools are a must. We love being outside. What areas of Washington do you recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington