Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 PM

16 posts, read 56,523 times

Advertisements

I have read the many, many threads about Aberdeen and coming from Southern California it just doesn't seem as "bad" as some of the folks here make it out to be. Perhaps, it is all relative, as people view their environments based on their personal experiences.

That being said, this is what I gather about Aberdeen... it rains ALOT... the winter months are quite wet and some storms that come in can be wicked. The rivers also can flood when the rains get heavy.

There is an element of crime and homelessness. Along with that there is a drug culture and, like most of the nation, unemployment is an issue.

But what i have also gathered from my research is that there seems to be some really great things about Aberdeen once you scratch the surface. There is a great sense of community and people wanting to build a better place to be proud of. If you are lucky enough to have a job, it seems like the cost of living is fair and housing very reasonable. It appears that the summer months are beautiful and there are so many opportunities to enjoy the coast and the forest.

Am I missing something? Because based on all that my husband and I have found online I will most likely accept a job offer in Aberdeen next week and make the jump.

Thanks for any and all input... I just ask that you give a fair assessment of the area!

J.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 11:26 AM

93 posts, read 263,919 times
You should go and see for yourself. You can always go back. An opportunity to turn your life on it's head and try something completely different does not present itself every day.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:53 PM

576 posts, read 2,261,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligirlrefugee View Post
Am I missing something? Because based on all that my husband and I have found online I will most likely accept a job offer in Aberdeen next week and make the jump.
There have been many threads here regarding the pros/cons of Aberdeen. I would toss out one thing to be aware of as you look for housing there. Part of Aberdeen (and the surrounding area) lies in a flood plain. This older thread addresses the subject:

Pros and Cons of Moving to Aberdeen?? Floods?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
If you can find a good job in Aberdeen, I always find it to be a quaint little town, that I hope can recover some day from the near death caused by the spotted owl/logging thing back in the early 90s. I don't think the new biodiesel plant is enough to sustain the economy there. Yes, there is a lot of drugs and crime mainloy due to the lack of work and nearly a quarter of the residents below the poverty level.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:14 PM

Thanks so much for the replys. I have read every single thread with Aberdeen in it's title so I have seen the concerns of flooding and have logged onto the websites that maintain flood maps. We would rent for awhile and try out the area before buying and will keep the flooding issue in mind.

I am waiting to hear on a job on Monday and my family and I are almost certain we will take the leap of faith and come on up to Aberdeen. At this point it cannot be much worse than where we are coming from (Victorville, CA).

Thanks again!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 PM

Default Update... Made the move

I got a job offer in Aberdeen and we moved up, sight unseen and could not be happier!!

We ended up with a rental home in Westport, WA and I commute into Aberdeen. Aberdeen has a lot of potential and I hope that the community can recover from the economic crisis it has been in. I see a lot of hard working, decent, friendly people here and I am happy to be working in this community.

And to answer, I guess, my own question. It is all relative. The poverty and crime here in NOTHING compared to where we moved from. I understand that it may seem "bad" in Aberdeen to some but it is all relative to your own life experiences.

Anyone one pondering or considering Aberdeen or Grays Harbor in general, do not be put off by the posts here. If you would like any more information or a bit about our experiences feel free to PM me!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:35 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Proximity as is

Thank you for the update, as I was wondering in reading this thread.

In part because in my one excursion through Aberdeen several years ago it seemed a depressed former logging town, or at least on the lee-side of the business. Much of it appeared worn and shabby, although in fairness I didn't hang around long enough to see what are surely some of the finer aspects of the town.

But pleased you like it. Quite a change from Victorville, in weather not least of all. Somewhat skeptical if the local economy will see much of a rebound soon, without much basis for it. On the other hand, the area has a certain beauty, real estate is affordable, and potential in at least location for improvement.

One advantage to living there is not only proximity to the ocean, but wild forest and nature as well. Olympic National Park is not that far removed north on US 101. If seeking it, the lodge at Quinault should provide a lovely weekend away, also serving as trailhead into the Park.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:57 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
I've posted many times on CD regarding Aberdeen, most of the inquiries were relative to the usual issues when people are considering moving from a considerable distance, it's only fair to them to be as objective about the town as is possible. Aberdeen is, and has always been the victim of an extractive economy, no less than Harlan county Kentucky coal country or the bleak expanses of some mid west beef processing towns.

I've lived in a number of cities and towns across the west and Aberdeen has it's own peculiar flavor, uncertain employment has left it's mark here, poverty is the norm, drugs fuel the minds of those who have nowhere left to go, it's a hopeless situation for a lot of the populace. That said, like all towns it has it's hight rent district, nice homes in the hillside neighborhoods, big money at the top of the timber economies pecking order, but overall it's still a depressed place.

Yes it rains a lot and the weather in general is typical of the marine type of climate you'd expect from such a northwesterly part of the US, Grays Harbor has it's beauty and that is one of it's main draw cards. If you were to pick any place to move to and hope to prosper, Aberdeen probably wouldn't be a good first choice. In the future I'd have to put my money on the possibility that the Harbor will continue to languish for the fact that our national economy is already in the crapper and Aberdeen has seen it's better days come and go. There are worse places and better places but until we see the basic changes that would signal an end to the plantation mentality of the big timber interests things will most likely get worse and the town will slip into a worse decay. I'm happy as the next guy to see those things that are in the positive vein but the negatives still far outweigh them, it's sad to see such a once thriving town become what it is today.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:53 AM

18 posts, read 45,254 times
I know this is an older post and I can see that you have made the move and are enjoying it! I currently live in northern Colorado and for some reason i am drawn to Aberdeen area. Can anyone tell me how the local job market is fairing for truck drivers. I have been looking for a while at the local housing market and I cannot believe some of the deals on homes in the area. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:24 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereincolorado View Post
Can anyone tell me how the local job market is fairing for truck drivers.
There are thousands of unemployed people in Washington.

Probably 99% of them can drive a truck.

It's not a skill that is in demand right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington