Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:38 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestRepublic View Post
I agree with freebird stay in Kansas most of Washington does not need or want you. All the people who will encourage you to move here are likely transplants who are also not wanted are liked by the locals.If you need a break from kansas come visit, but just remember to go home.
This response is disrespectful, mean-spirited, and total baloney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:43 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
This response is disrespectful, mean-spirited, and total baloney.
Pathetic, huh?

I've lived in Washington since 1975 (after having grown up in Oregon). I wonder if that makes me a "transplant?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:46 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
NorthwestRepublic lives in Alaska. Talk about irony.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:50 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
NorthwestRepublic lives in Alaska. Talk about irony.
LOL

I'm not sure how you know that, but good catch anyway.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:31 PM

118 posts, read 261,475 times
Tell that to all the farmers, loggers, and fishermen who have lost their lively hoods do to the "economic progress" that all the transplants have brought.

In the past these people would have been able to live comfortably doing as they always have. Now they are stuck working at walmart and mowing your lawns just so that they can afford to keep living in run down apartments and trailer parks.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
You have to understand the underlying culture of Seattle. There was once a famous columnist in the P.I, named Emmett Watson, who created the "Lesser Seattle Movement". He was quite clever and influential in the 70's and 80's. Please google this. His ideas, though dying, still resonate with some Seattle natives, AND newcomers, ironically. The basic idea he had was please visit but don't stay. He wanted the area to stay smallish, while still taking advantage of the tourist dollars. I have always disagreed with his premise, but I will admit he was very influential and his ideas, as I said, are still being tossed around. BTW, he was always tongue in cheek, as an above poster here probably was as well. In fact, if I didn't know better, I would have guessed NorthwestRepublic was actually the ghost of Emmett Watson.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
I'm with Cinebar in not wanting the beauty overwhelmed by a heavy population and traffic but a level of growth will invariably happen. As Inkpoe noted, NorthwestRepublic actually edited his location, which is Juneau, Alaska. First he said they could not afford to stay, then he said he was just going to school there. It's not important except he made a half dozen posts telling everyone to stay away when he doesn't live here himself.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
What's not to like about public transport?

Anyways, it would seem you would be happier here, so go for it is what I say. Only one way to know if you like it here or not.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
People are always going to move to other areas of the country, regardless of what anyone else wants. I moved here from Tennessee because I hated living there and I love it here. Why should I stay somewhere I hate, being miserable, if I don't have to? In my home town there were many, many transplants, and I didn't mind. When I was a kid (in the 1980s) my town had 30,000 people. When I left last July, it had roughly 108,000. Naturally there were some negative aspects to this level of growth, but overall I think it was for the better. If my town hadn't grown that much, some other town would have, just like any other place. Some natives leave, some transplants move in, and the overall population of the country continues to rise. For every transplant who arrives here, how many natives and other transplants move out? If a city is appealing to a lot of people, it only makes sense that a lot of people will want to move there. If you want to live somewhere that doesn't attract many newcomers, you'll either be looking for a town that sucks, or hope your taste is very different from the majority.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:43 PM

510 posts, read 889,234 times
I would think that a person would want to move to an area because they like the area and would hope it would stay as is. My thought is you sort of give up the old place and become part of the new when you move, more than trying to make the new place like the old place. Some examples, people I know on the Olympic Peninsula have moved up from California and one of the first things they did was to clear off all the trees on their land---so they could have the views from all directions. Another, (again view related) was to enact a local ordinance that prohibited hay bales over X feet tall and couldn't be covered with blue tarps. All kinds of rules for pets. I realize an area will have a certain amount of change just because of expansion or new regulations, but if someplace else is so much better because of a food chain/dog law/tax process/liquor store set up/etc, then maybe go back to that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington