Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:49 PM

13 posts, read 69,468 times

Advertisements

Hello. We are moving to Southwestern Washington. My husband will be starting a new job in Longview. I am trying to get a sense of the area through this forum. We are looking for a town outside of Longview (around up to 25 minute commute max.) to settle down in with good schools, low crime and low pollution. I have heard bad things about Longview and Kelso, such as meth and crime problems, and high highschool dropout rate. Are these true? Please tell me which towns you recommend surrounding Longview that meet this criteria. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 12:08 AM

850 posts, read 3,716,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by time4family View Post
Hello. We are moving to Southwestern Washington. My husband will be starting a new job in Longview. I am trying to get a sense of the area through this forum. We are looking for a town outside of Longview (around up to 25 minute commute max.) to settle down in with good schools, low crime and low pollution. I have heard bad things about Longview and Kelso, such as meth and crime problems, and high highschool dropout rate. Are these true? Please tell me which towns you recommend surrounding Longview that meet this criteria. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
You are correct. I am currently living in Longview and can't wait to get out. The whole town is surrounded by several mills, which often stink up the town. You can actually smell the mills as you approach the Longview/Kelso exits.

Drugs are a huge problem in this area, and there is a high crime rate in certain areas (i.e. the Highlands). Fortunately there are towns within in a close distance. I am not familiar with schools and how well they perform, but check out Woodland, Cathlamet, Kalama and La Center. These are all small towns, but for not much further distance (you would not hit traffic for the commute) you could move to Vancouver. Vancouver is right next to Portland and is larger.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:53 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Longview is known as the armpit of Portland for a reason unfortunately.

The town itself has taken great strides to make itself more friendly, but since Trojan closed it's had a hard time attracting the well payed citizens it used to have.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:04 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
Aside from the noxious smells and the meth trailers, Longview is OK.

The WA state Portland suburbs (Battle Ground, Vancouver, etc.) are outside your commute requirements, but I'd strongly recommend you look there and commute a bit further. You'd be going the opposite way from the prevailing traffic flow.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:25 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
25 minute commute zone:

Schools:
GreatSchools.org Search: 98632

Schools, if you are also considering OR:
GreatSchools.org Search: 97048

Old 05-23-2011, 01:07 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
A friend of mine recently wrote:

"Longview, to be honest, is not really a place for tourists. It’s just another rural Washington mill town, slightly better off than others because it’s located where the Cowlitz River empties into the Columbia. But the economic depression we’d noticed on our trip last August had taken its toll here, too, and even though the rain had let up a little, the place still had that gray look of despair that you really only see in the Pacific Northwest. (If you ever saw the old Twin Peaks, that show made great use of that dark, foreboding look of the country up here. The first couple of years of The X-Files worked that angle as well… come to think of it, The Killing on AMC is milking it too.)"

Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 10,585 times
My family moved to Longview about a year ago and I had the same fears you did. However, we have found that the city's reputation is worse than the reality. We live in the Mint Valley area so we are a bit insulated from the worst areas of town, but have been pleased with our neighborhood and the school here.

In anticipation of our move, I spent a lot of time perusing this forum and was very discouraged. I was certain that our move here was going to be a disaster. However, reflecting about a year out, this city has it's problems, but it also has a lot of potential there for those that want to appreciate it.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:56 AM

13 posts, read 69,468 times
Default Thank you

Thank you all for your very friendly and helpful input. I really appreciate it.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,922 times
Help please...I'm moving to Kelso soon from Fresno Ca and plan to try and find work in Portland.Is that a good move or not???

Old 10-20-2011, 07:25 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Has anyone mentioned that Longview was a planned town to encourage lumber workers to live there? The town is actually well-planned and has a nice street grid, almost regal in places, especially around the old Monticello Hotel that was supposed to the the center of town. The streets are wide, and it really is not your typical lumber town. I worked there briefly decades ago, and was impressed. True, it may have a bad rep, but it doesn't deserve it. Yes, occasional pulp smell, but most of those factories are located south and the prevailing winds take it east-northeast, missing most of the population. Another factor is it is less than an hour to Portland, and just a couple hours to Seattle. I kinda like Longview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington