Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 10:31 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,316,861 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Kelso from Southern California in April 2021, and it’s definitely a big change from living in Cerritos (my hometown in CA). It’s a pretty area with a lot of trees, rivers, hills, etc., so it’s a scenic area. And the two towns (Kelso/Longview) have basic stores and amenities, so it’s easy to find basic everyday items. However, if one is used to shopping at specialty stores, or buying groceries at Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s, or dining in more upscale or trendy restaurants, then living here would absolutely suck. One would have to drive into Vancouver/Portland for more options and social/cultural amenities. But Kelso/Longview have the basics.

The people here, though, are a bit rough around the edges and some of them actually look as if they haven’t taken a bath or shower or combed their hair or changed their clothes in a few weeks! And I’m talking about the average local residents that you see during the course of a normal day, not the homeless people. The homeless obviously look a certain way. But the average Joe/Jane citizen in many cases doesn’t look all that presentable. Obviously, many people here aren’t big on appearances. And maybe that’s ok. Perhaps I’m a bit superficial and pretentious having grown up in a fairly affluent Southern California suburb (not rich or wealthy by any means, just a nice, solid, middle class city and family).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 12:07 PM

14,474 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I just moved to Kelso from Southern California in April 2021, and it’s definitely a big change from living in Cerritos (my hometown in CA). It’s a pretty area with a lot of trees, rivers, hills, etc., so it’s a scenic area. And the two towns (Kelso/Longview) have basic stores and amenities, so it’s easy to find basic everyday items. However, if one is used to shopping at specialty stores, or buying groceries at Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s, or dining in more upscale or trendy restaurants, then living here would absolutely suck. One would have to drive into Vancouver/Portland for more options and social/cultural amenities. But Kelso/Longview have the basics.

The people here, though, are a bit rough around the edges and some of them actually look as if they haven’t taken a bath or shower or combed their hair or changed their clothes in a few weeks! And I’m talking about the average local residents that you see during the course of a normal day, not the homeless people. The homeless obviously look a certain way. But the average Joe/Jane citizen in many cases doesn’t look all that presentable. Obviously, many people here aren’t big on appearances. And maybe that’s ok. Perhaps I’m a bit superficial and pretentious having grown up in a fairly affluent Southern California suburb (not rich or wealthy by any means, just a nice, solid, middle class city and family).

Well, in their defense, COVID has not been good for grooming and fashion. Between staying home all the time and no restaurants open, there was little reason to dress up. But there are many in this area who think that's not a bad thing. We do love our flannel. And down there, a lot of guys work outside and in the woods. It's not just cologne that smells like wood chips

Welcome to Western Washington.

I do hope you've had a chance to get up to see the volcano - is the visitor center at Johnston Ridge open yet? We have a few recent transplants to the area we've been hoping to take up there when they do fully open again.

Old 07-09-2021, 02:08 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,524,378 times
We live part time West of Longview in Skamokawa but go there often. I'm more familiar with Longview and its an ok place- pretty park that goes through Nicols street and has a river. Longview has all the necessities - Lowes- Safeway - Fred Mayer and not too much traffic. Further west is some of the prettiest places in Washington but they arent touristy and not yet too expensive. They are virtually unknown.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:28 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,316,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
We live part time West of Longview in Skamokawa but go there often. I'm more familiar with Longview and its an ok place- pretty park that goes through Nicols street and has a river. Longview has all the necessities - Lowes- Safeway - Fred Mayer and not too much traffic. Further west is some of the prettiest places in Washington but they arent touristy and not yet too expensive. They are virtually unknown.
I haven’t yet driven west of Longview, but I plan to. I have driven out to St. Helens, Oregon a few times, and out to Clatskanie, Oregon once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington