Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,317 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a single mom of three boys, ages 15,12 and 1 and two girls ages 9,5 and I currently live in palmdale CA. I am considering moving to the tacoma ,lacey WA area around July 2014. If you could please list the pros and cons of any parts of washington so i can make a decision on where to go i heard seattle is expensive i dont mind the rain at all i actually would prefer somewhere where it snows alot north of south of seattle is ok i do however want to make sure their are hospitals in the area I am a medical biller and want to also do phlebotomy as well also let me know about the job market and the schools from k-12th grade oh i forgot to mention that my sons love the outdoors and so do I please let me know the pro and cons of whatever area you are in including the job mark3et

[LEFT]

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 03:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
Lacey sounds like a good place for you to consider. Mostly good schools, but be selective about where you live and check locals or a site like Greatschools. It's nice, with a lot of shopping and outdoor activities, but a lot less expensive than the Seattle area. You should find plenty of hospitals and other medical facilities in nearby Olympia. Another area for you would be farther south in Vancouver WA, you could easily commute to Portland. With no WA state income tax, and no Oregon sales tax, you can get the best of both states. Again, you will have good schools but there are also some not as good so be selective about where in the area you live.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:53 PM

295 posts, read 1,214,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
[...] Another area for you would be farther south in Vancouver WA, you could easily commute to Portland. With no WA state income tax, and no Oregon sales tax, you can get the best of both states. Again, you will have good schools but there are also some not as good so be selective about where in the area you live.
Many good thoughts, but OP should confirm the OR income tax laws if she chooses to live in WA and work in OR. OR collects income tax from WA residents if the income was earned in OR: "Residents of other states working in Oregon: Oregon taxes nonresidents on Oregon source income (wages, monies earned in Oregon, income from the sale of Oregon property, etc.)." See: State of Oregon: Department of Revenue: Personal Income Tax

Last edited by shroom; 03-30-2014 at 04:06 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 04:43 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,628,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Another area for you would be farther south in Vancouver WA, you could easily commute to Portland. With no WA state income tax, and no Oregon sales tax, you can get the best of both states. .
This is strongly misleading. With the bridges as they are, there is no 'easy commute' into Portland, unless you work second or night shift. The I-5 interstate bridge is a mess, and the 205 bridge is getting there. The 15 minute run from downtown Portland to downtown Vancouver can take well over an hour at rush.

Plus, if you work in OR you pay OR income tax even if you live in WA. So actually you get the worst of things - WA property tax plus OR income tax. You can do some of your shopping across the river to save on sales tax, but you'll still generally end up paying it for major items.

That said, Vancouver itself has a few hospitals (PeaceHealth, Keiser, etc.). If you can find work on the WA side of the river, it's a good place to live and work. But I wouldn't move here thinking you're going to commute into Portland conveniently and tax-free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington