Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 01:31 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt F4 View Post
I was considering taking a job as a contractor. I would say I'm worried about living anywhere on a decent salary, but the Seattle area in particular because a lot of the policies might significantly impact businesses. For instance, Boeing is having trouble, in part because of the high cost of living, so doing things like increasing the minimum wage might make it more difficult for them to compete globally. You take money out of one sector of the economy and it can have an affect on others, since it is interdependent.
I don't think raising he minimum wage is going to have much effect on Boeing. Everybody working there already makes over minimum wage. As fas as Boeing having trouble, maybe on the defense side, but not on the commercial side. They're hiring like crazy at the 737 plant in Renton. Also, the 15 dollar an hour minimum wage is not going to affect places on the peninsula. Nobody's talking about a 15 dollar an hour minimum wage statewide, it's only the cities of SeaTac and eventually Seattle.
People talk about the high cost of living in the Seattle area, but when they do, they're mostly referring to housing costs within the city itself and on the eastside of Seattle. Housing costs outside of of the city of Seattle and the eastside tend to be significantly lower. Of the three places you mentioned, Poulsbo is the most fun and has the most character.

Last edited by Ira500; 11-13-2014 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 01:39 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
I was considering taking a job as a contractor. I would say I'm worried about living anywhere on a decent salary, but the Seattle area in particular because a lot of the policies might significantly impact businesses. For instance, Boeing is having trouble, in part because of the high cost of living, so doing things like increasing the minimum wage might make it more difficult for them to compete globally. You take money out of one sector of the economy and it can have an affect on others, since it is interdependent.
You do realize that the areas you listed in your OP are outside the "Seattle area", right? The Olympic Peninsula isn't part of the "Seattle area". It has nothing to do with Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, a $15/hr. minimum wage, etc.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:23 PM

486 posts, read 842,328 times
Cost of living differs between:
King County, WA and Kitsap County, WA

Salary:Adjusted For Cost of Living:

Location One:
King County, WA$75,000

Location Two:
Kitsap County, WA$68,435

Change in disposable income: $6,565

In essence, if you moved to Kitsap County, WA and received the same salary you currently earn in King County, WA, you would have an extra 6565 to spend as you see fit.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:27 PM

35 posts, read 59,717 times
Also, how difficult would it be for my girlfriend to find a job as a stylist in that area? She recently graduated from hair school and doesn't have much experience outside of what she did while she was in school. I don't see that many ads on craigslist, and the ones I do see are asking for an experienced hair stylist. Surely, there are places available for a hair stylist with little experience but great potential.

I know this is an odd question to ask, but has anyone noticed any available vacancies? Will it be difficult for her to find a job?

Old 11-13-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Also, how difficult would it be for my girlfriend to find a job as a stylist in that area? She recently graduated from hair school and doesn't have much experience outside of what she did while she was in school. I don't see that many ads on craigslist, and the ones I do see are asking for an experienced hair stylist. Surely, there are places available for a hair stylist with little experience but great potential.

I know this is an odd question to ask, but has anyone noticed any available vacancies? Will it be difficult for her to find a job?
There are job listings boards besides Craigslist, and I think I've seen something there. There's a part-time jobs board, you should be able to find it online.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:39 AM

35 posts, read 59,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are job listings boards besides Craigslist, and I think I've seen something there. There's a part-time jobs board, you should be able to find it online.
Do you enjoy living in the area, Ruth?

Or if you don't live in the Peninsula, would you enjoy living on the Peninsula?

Judging by pictures, it looks like one of the most beautiful places on earth, and pictures generally don't do a place justice.

Places like San Diego may have better weather, but at least in my opinion, the scenery didn't compare to other places I've been to, like Colorado.

From what I can tell, the Seattle area seems to be even more scenic than places along the front range.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Do you enjoy living in the area, Ruth?

Or if you don't live in the Peninsula, would you enjoy living on the Peninsula?

Judging by pictures, it looks like one of the most beautiful places on earth, and pictures generally don't do a place justice.

Places like San Diego may have better weather, but at least in my opinion, the scenery didn't compare to other places I've been to, like Colorado.

From what I can tell, the Seattle area seems to be even more scenic than places along the front range.
Actually, I'm planning on moving there next year. But one of my friends there is alarmed by an increase in military activity and jet noise in the area, among other things, so she thinks it won't be the little paradise much longer that it used to be. So I'm proceeding cautiously.

It depends on what you consider "better weather". I'd imagine that San Diego gets pretty hot in the summers. I don't consider anything upwards of 80 degrees or more to be "good weather". In fact, a main reason I'm moving there is to get away from that kind of "good weather". The area stays relatively cool in the summers, has a reliable water supply, and doesn't get as much rain as Seattle the rest of the year, so that sounds pretty good. Rents seem stable, so it wins over the Bay Area on that score.

Colorado is, indeed, beautiful, and the people are remarkably friendly! If I had friends there and a job, CO would definitely be a serious consideration. The one thing Port Townsend has that CO doesn't have is the sailing culture. I'm looking forward to that. And the San Juan Islands. I have friends up there who have their own nature preserve, with old growth forest.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:18 PM

301 posts, read 519,339 times
Default A little clarification

Looking at a map, it does appear that the Olympic and Kitsap Peninsulas on the west side of Puget Sound are truly a part of the Seattle area. But the peninsulas are not as connected to Seattle as one might think.

To clarify, are you looking at working in Seattle but living in Kitsap?

The answer to your original question is yes, one can live comfortably here (North/Central Kitsap County) for $75K. One of the factors of why housing is so much less here is the length/expense of commute. We don't have a bridge over the sound so the only way to commute to Seattle/Bellevue/Everett is by ferry boat which is expensive and very time consuming. If we did have a bridge, who knows? Perhaps housing prices would skyrocket.

My hairdresser is currently looking for an intern to shadow her to "pay it forward" and develop new talent. The demand is here for good stylists/colorists. Perhaps your girlfriend can pursue some type of internship with a salon.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:42 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Hello, the Olympic Peninsula is NOT part of "the Seattle area" by a long shot. It is quite removed, not at all commutable, and a completely different culture than Seattle. It is very beautiful. It is also very remote, & that is why it has managed to retain it's beauty. The Kitsap Peninsula, while also beautiful, is much more accessible, hence more suburban, & higher COL.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:47 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually, I'm planning on moving there next year. But one of my friends there is alarmed by an increase in military activity and jet noise in the area, among other things, so she thinks it won't be the little paradise much longer that it used to be. So I'm proceeding cautiously.

It depends on what you consider "better weather". I'd imagine that San Diego gets pretty hot in the summers. I don't consider anything upwards of 80 degrees or more to be "good weather". In fact, a main reason I'm moving there is to get away from that kind of "good weather". The area stays relatively cool in the summers, has a reliable water supply, and doesn't get as much rain as Seattle the rest of the year, so that sounds pretty good. Rents seem stable, so it wins over the Bay Area on that score.

Colorado is, indeed, beautiful, and the people are remarkably friendly! If I had friends there and a job, CO would definitely be a serious consideration. The one thing Port Townsend has that CO doesn't have is the sailing culture. I'm looking forward to that. And the San Juan Islands. I have friends up there who have their own nature preserve, with old growth forest.
Just a friendly FYI...San Diego does not get hot in the summer. 70-80 on the coast is typical. Factor in the breeze off the ocean and it is very comfy. I lived in SD for a summer years ago, my folks have lived there since 1974 and I've visited there more times than I can count. The weather is just about perfect but SD has a very high COL, is quite crowded and I see water as a potential problem in the future. And it burns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington