Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 07:26 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times

Advertisements

Also, if you check out Zillow, you'll see that sale prices along the coast have turned up over the last couple years, but are still far below their peaks before the mortgage crisis. There are a LOT of Ocean Shores properties on the market (but few on the beach), which could be helping to hold values down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 09:46 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,526 times
Are there any beach towns that are "hopping" year round? I know the San Juan Islands tends to be more seasonal.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:44 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,004 times
It's not that I don't like the Washington coast - on the contrary, it's very beautiful - it's just that there isn't much to do in the Washington coastal towns. Cannon Beach and Seaside in Oregon have more stuff for the family to do.

Seattlefun, it depends on what your motivations are. If you're just looking for an easy getaway for your family, Washington coast, San Juans or even Whidbey Island (VERY popular with families around here that want a weekend cabin) would all be good. But if you're hoping to often rent it out for vacationers, the Oregon coast or maybe San Juan island (whale tours) would be a better bet.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:05 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,462 times
Does it have to be a beach town? Lots of people enjoy Lake Chelan. Friends have a rental there and do very well.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:48 PM

31 posts, read 47,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Does it have to be a beach town? Lots of people enjoy Lake Chelan. Friends have a rental there and do very well.
Love Chelan especially in the summer months

The weather is very predictable (sunny and warm, sometimes hot) unlike many WA coastal beach towns. It sometimes doesn't even feel like I'm in WA to me......more like Northern CA, NV.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:34 PM

426 posts, read 958,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Are there any beach towns that are "hopping" year round? I know the San Juan Islands tends to be more seasonal.

"Hopping" year round beach towns in Washington? On the Northern coast of the Pacific Ocean?

No.

Beach towns in Washington (for the most part) shut down after Labor Day, and are deserted by Halloween.

Not too hopping when there's only 6-8 hours of daylight, and pretty much constant fog, wind and rain.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:31 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
"Hopping" year round beach towns in Washington? On the Northern coast of the Pacific Ocean?

No.

Beach towns in Washington (for the most part) shut down after Labor Day, and are deserted by Halloween.

Not too hopping when there's only 6-8 hours of daylight, and pretty much constant fog, wind and rain.
Westsport has stuff going on pretty much year-round:

Westport, WA Events

Including: Storm watching, whale watching, fishing derbies (bottom-fish, halibut, salmon, tuna), festivals (Shorebird, Kite, Pirate Daze, Art, Seafood, Blues, Wine, Cranberry), oyster feeds, surfing contest, razor clam seasons, etc.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 11-25-2014 at 10:51 PM..

Old 11-26-2014, 03:06 AM

3,152 posts, read 2,732,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
For the coast: Long Beach. Otherwise, I'd pick a spot in the San Juans instead.

My family - and a lot of my friends' families - always went to the OREGON coast in the summers. The beaches there are more typical of summer beaches. Washington's coast is more rustic, and not as warm.
I agree. The Oregon coast is much better, and the towns are much cleaner and economically healthier. Astoria, Warrenton, even Coos Bay in my opinion beat Washington hands down.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:08 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
I agree. Seaside, Cannon Beach and Florence are much better looking than any coastal town in WA

Old 11-26-2014, 11:58 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,180 times
Are there any good sandy beaches within an hour or two of Everett? I've checked out a few but none of them have much sand of any quality, either mostly pebbles or a dirt mixture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington