Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 01:05 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times

Advertisements

On the Methow Valley, try looking further down the valley. For instance:

22B Middle Fork Gold Creek Rd, Carlton, WA is For Sale - Zillow

563 Highway 153, Pateros, WA 98846 is For Sale - Zillow

The eastern side of the state gets a big rain shadow effect from the Cascades - the forests on the eastern flanks of the Cascades are more open than on the western flanks, and more likely to be pine rather than douglas fir. Note that the Methow Valley runs from NW to SE, so you should get good sun exposure from the south, depending on the property. The Methow Valley does get rain (and is green), since it is a mountain valley, unlike the Omak area, where you need irrigation, such as here:

61 Kirkpatrick Rd N, Omak, WA 98841 is For Sale - Zillow

The rain shadow effect in western Washington is from the Olympics, with the Sequim area (jocularly referred to as "the banana belt") getting the largest benefit (about 17" of rain). Tacoma, Seattle, Everett, and Bellingham get 35-37", while Olympia (on the southern edge of the effect) gets around 50". Aberdeen and Hoquiam, on the coast, get 80". Some areas on the western flanks of the Olympics get 150-200".

Clouds can and do go over and around the Olympics, which means that less rain does not necessarily mean more sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 01:27 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
On the Methow Valley, try looking further down the valley. For instance:

22B Middle Fork Gold Creek Rd, Carlton, WA is For Sale - Zillow

563 Highway 153, Pateros, WA 98846 is For Sale - Zillow

The eastern side of the state gets a big rain shadow effect from the Cascades - the forests on the eastern flanks of the Cascades are more open than on the western flanks, and more likely to be pine rather than douglas fir. Note that the Methow Valley runs from NW to SE, so you should get good sun exposure from the south, depending on the property. The Methow Valley does get rain (and is green), since it is a mountain valley, unlike the Omak area, where you need irrigation, such as here:

61 Kirkpatrick Rd N, Omak, WA 98841 is For Sale - Zillow

The rain shadow effect in western Washington is from the Olympics, with the Sequim area (jocularly referred to as "the banana belt") getting the largest benefit (about 17" of rain). Tacoma, Seattle, Everett, and Bellingham get 35-37", while Olympia (on the southern edge of the effect) gets around 50". Aberdeen and Hoquiam, on the coast, get 80". Some areas on the western flanks of the Olympics get 150-200".

Clouds can and do go over and around the Olympics, which means that less rain does not necessarily mean more sun.
Don't mean to keep picking apart your posts - sorry, I really don't. But if you're growing anything substantial in the Methow, you absolutely need irrigation. Average annual rainfall is about 14" throughout the valley. You might be able to get away with a small family garden without irrigation, if you live against west hills in the valley. But there are a number of alfalfa growers in the valley, and they all irrigate. Thankfully, much of the valley has a decent, if somewhat antiquated, irrigation ditch system running off of the Methow River.

The other point I would make to the OP about the lower Methow is, if you are at all considering that area, be sure to visit, since the Carlton Complex fire really messed-up a lot of property around there this last summer.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:08 PM

The contrast I was trying to make was between the Winthrop/Twisp area (lots of trees) and the Omak area (few or no trees) - see the property links I provided. Without irrigation, the latter would probably be a desert, but not Winthrop. While Winthrop gets around 14" of rain, it does get 72" of snowfall. In the summer, even Seattle can get a bit "yellow", if there are restrictions on watering lawns (due to low snowpacks). As to what might best be grown there, I'll defer to you and others who know much more about that than I do (not much).

Old 01-25-2015, 06:43 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
The contrast I was trying to make was between the Winthrop/Twisp area (lots of trees) and the Omak area (few or no trees) - see the property links I provided. Without irrigation, the latter would probably be a desert, but not Winthrop. While Winthrop gets around 14" of rain, it does get 72" of snowfall. In the summer, even Seattle can get a bit "yellow", if there are restrictions on watering lawns (due to low snowpacks). As to what might best be grown there, I'll defer to you and others who know much more about that than I do (not much).
Grows, looks like hay, no real orchards.

Which gets me thinking. Living in industrial agricultural areas often means water contaminated with nitrates or worse.

Poultry operations usually set up in places with a moderate climate OR places close to grain growing.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:26 AM

34 posts, read 71,113 times
Thanks CD and TT for your valuable insights. Much appreciated.
TT was is that other valley near Beaver Valley? Any insider tip about any of these?
Out west also considering Granite Falls (I briefly visited and liked the town).
The areas around Everson, Nooksack give you a beautiful view of the mountains. Does anybody know about Deming and Maple Falls (maybe better $$ as it is further away from Bellingham).
Not too crazy about total flateness. So nothing too close to the water (which we could not afford anyway so it's all good).
Finally received my book "raising poultry on pasture" by the APPPA. can't wait

Old 01-27-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwssMiss View Post
Thanks CD and TT for your valuable insights. Much appreciated.
TT was is that other valley near Beaver Valley? Any insider tip about any of these?
Out west also considering Granite Falls (I briefly visited and liked the town).
The areas around Everson, Nooksack give you a beautiful view of the mountains. Does anybody know about Deming and Maple Falls (maybe better $$ as it is further away from Bellingham).
Not too crazy about total flateness. So nothing too close to the water (which we could not afford anyway so it's all good).
Finally received my book "raising poultry on pasture" by the APPPA. can't wait
Look on google earth. They are attached.

Beaver valley negative is the main road runs up on the shelf the length of the valley.

Both get wetter in the middle south. Both have most houses tucked up on the shelf along with the road.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:47 PM

34 posts, read 71,113 times
Yay, I checked it out. I was expecting some big separate valley. That was a silly question.
Thanks for the input. We know better what to expect.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:51 PM

No questions are silly..
Especially with the adventure you are considering!
Peace..

Old 01-28-2015, 02:39 AM

Speaking of Everson, here's an interesting property:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/31...17586832_zpid/

5 acres, 3 houses(2 w/3B, 1 w/2B) rented to long-term tenants, RV hookup, large barn, other outbuildings. $379,000. You could rent the houses to cover the mortgage, bring in an RV to live in, and work the land.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwssMiss View Post
Yay, I checked it out. I was expecting some big separate valley. That was a silly question.
Thanks for the input. We know better what to expect.
Quote:
Speaking of Everson, here's an interesting property:

3156 E Badger Rd, Everson, WA 98247 is For Sale - Zillow

5 acres, 3 houses(2 w/3B, 1 w/2B) rented to long-term tenants, RV hookup, large barn, other outbuildings. $379,000. You could rent the houses to cover the mortgage, bring in an RV to live in, and work the land.
Looks like a nice property. Pretty steep price for only 5 acres. But if one is good with repair one could be mostly a land lord and a small side of farming.

Not too liberal I would suspect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington