Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 04:00 PM

34 posts, read 71,091 times

Advertisements

Looking for a place where we can buy a piece of land, or an old farmhouse with a barn, and start a small agri-cented business. We are talking about mom and pop type business, nothing major.

I know rural usually equates to conservative values and judging by county is not accurate enough. I think what I mean is that we would appreciate a place that is mostly progressive, creative with a "live and let live" attitude. We live in a very religious, conservative area where conformism is prized and we are really feeling like the odd man out.

Small towns would be best. University town maybe? (never lived in one). Likely to the West of the Cascades.

Rain is OK and snow is just fine. We would prefer more snow and sun than less snow but rain. If that makes sense.

The house is for sale, so we need to find our next home soon.

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 04:07 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
It was recently suggested to someone with a similar inquiry that they look around Sequim, on the Olympic Peninsula. Sequim isn't liberal exactly, but nearby Port Townsend is. Land is relatively affordable around Sequim and that area. And there's less rain there, too.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:15 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
The Lynden area is quite conservative, but is nestled inside a very liberal county, Whatcom, and not far from Bellingham, which is an ultra-liberal "college" city (85,000 pop.) with lots of opportunity to sell your produce/products. There are old farm houses on acreage for sale. For instance:

1536 W Badger Rd, Custer, WA 98240 is For Sale - Zillow

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/29...05409766_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/54...18255676_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/23...17745458_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/71...23637798_zpid/

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 01-13-2015 at 04:56 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 05:35 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,525,135 times
Hey, this place is so live-and-let-live that nobody even wants to talk to you...unless, of course, they want you to do something for them, or you have a lot of $$$!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It was recently suggested to someone with a similar inquiry that they look around Sequim, on the Olympic Peninsula. Sequim isn't liberal exactly, but nearby Port Townsend is. Land is relatively affordable around Sequim and that area. And there's less rain there, too.
Yes, Port Townsend is probably a good choice, and Sequim is not liberal. There really are not all that many rural, liberal areas that fit your climate requirements.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:02 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,594 times
Liberal AND snow. Now thats a tall order.!

I am going to assume you are not on the left coast, where.conservative is more Libritarian in nature, Seriously, big difference.. Where are you coming from?

So snow and liberal... (What's liberal? Northern Minnesota is liberal, old school union iron mine liberal.. ). Trendy Seattle has some snooty city slicker liberals that will look at you with disdane because you drive a big diesel truck instead of a Prius. Or worse yet burn wood to cook or heat your house..

Anyway, check out Tonasket in north central Washingt, Old hippies that by todays definition would be F#$% the govement leave me alone! Libertarian..
Or anywhere away from the money of big cities in Western Washington. Regions vary my county is consistently democratic and rural. So are the islands.

Heck even the Dutch fundamentalists up in Lynden will share that mindset.. (Me a greeny, pagan heathen, organic farmer, anti Monsanto, Wallstreet hating, gun toting something or another.) Finds lots in common with fundamentalists.. Heck they were organic per gods command before the rest of us even invented the term.

Hope that helps..

Last edited by TrueTimbers; 01-13-2015 at 09:52 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 09:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, Port Townsend is probably a good choice, ... all that many rural, liberal areas that fit your climate requirements.
I agree... Snow is nearby... LOTS of snow!!! (Hurricane Ridge)

Liberal, rural, + SNOW means we_tside OREGON or Humbolt Cty, CA

BTW... Liberal is NOT "we would appreciate a place that is mostly progressive, creative with a "live and let live" attitude".

You either think and act like THEY (Liberals) expect / want you to act, or you are shunned... so much for diversity (OK as long as you don't have a differing opinion and certainly no facts please.)

Oregon (group think) is PERFECT if this is what you seek.

"act like THEY (Liberals) expect / want you to act,"

Very LIBERAL. and proud of it

Old 01-13-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabino1 View Post
... The interesting thing about rural conservative Washington the more conservative the area is the more dependent it is on government resources.
I'm sure all the farmers, employers, job creators, and payers of millions of $$ in taxes every qtr in the rural conservative areas of WA agree with your explicit facts (?). ha

(Are you an employer? do you pay WA DOR qtrly?, do you have employees and legal WA licensed immigrants that sell your tools to the local pawn shop so you can go in every Monday and buy them back? ) (didn't so)

This you will find in rural areas of any western state.... The thieves are protected by liberal state voted agenda!

Any employer is at great risk.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
We would prefer more snow and sun than less snow but rain. If that makes sense.
This points to Oregon also ^^^^ Consider Douglas County / or Grants Pass / Medford

You don't say where you are coming from, or your price points.

Left Coast is not the best place to do this "
Quote:
buy a piece of land, or an old farmhouse with a barn, and start a small agri-cented business.
". Very outlandish pricing for land. (even more for houses). Old farmhouses are few with the 'recent' history of the left coast. Many yuppies / aspiring carpenters have bought and fixed the majority of old PNW farmhouses that are fixable. (About 20-30 yrs late), I have rebuilt (and kept) 4 myself, but they are really hard to find (never have found one through a realtor / listed for sale).

What is your business? That will regulate your locale / terrain / temps / access / climate / market / size...

Old 01-13-2015, 11:31 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
This points to Oregon also ^^^^ Consider Douglas County / or Grants Pass / Medford
Hood River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington