Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 08:03 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A water pipeline from Oregon to California?

The idea that intrigues us the most is a pipeline from the Columbia River, which separates Oregon and Washington. It is the fourth-largest river in the nation and has the greatest flow of any American river draining into the Pacific. In other words, it carries a lot of water.
I live in California. And I think this is such a horrible idea that I hope citizens of Oregon and Washington arm themselves to the teeth, and fight to the death to prevent California from sucking down and wasting ever more resources because this stupid state is unable to control population and illegal immigration. Also posted to Oregon forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 08:54 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
It's not a new idea. I remember hearing years ago that Oregon was ruminating on sending over billions and billions of gallons to California, I'm surprised California didn't jump at the chance.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:59 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
It's not only CA that can't control illegal immigration. No state can. The federal government can't, or chooses not to. There is no border state that has been able to control illegal immigration. In any case, that has nothing to do with your topic.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:09 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
This was brought up in the 1980s, I think. One sentence sticks with me all these years laters, as emblematic of the mentality that brought the crisis on: "But it's over 300 million gallons a year and it's just being WASTED! We're only asking for 3 million gallons!" But take heart. That pipeline would have to cross Oregon, and as you probably know, "Well, if California needs our help to maintain its way of doing things, of course we would love to share with our neighbors" said no Oregonian, ever. And Oregon has some fairly militant people who have in the past taken physical action in the name of the environment. I can see very many legal and practical obstacles long before construction would begin, and also long after. I am moving to Oregon in one month, and if this were seriously put forward, I would make popcorn and just watch the fun.

Assigning a couple of divisions of the regular army to guard it might mostly keep it safe, I guess, if that were remotely practical. Absent that, I can see any such pipeline developing a graffiti of targets spraypainted on it from Portland to Ashland. And used for practice without conscience. There are a lot of people in Oregon who own deer rifles and know how to use them.

Part of it is general perceptions based upon stereotypes, which are all overblown but do have bases in fact. Part of it is the way so many CA newcomers have conducted themselves upon relocating to Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, supporting the perceptions and stereotypes. This has been somewhat unfair to those who came and did not attempt to make over their new areas in the form of their places of origin, behave as if their origin made them special or better, or otherwise offend local sensibilities. However, those who did not, have largely assimilated, and probably see things the way you do.

Even so, we of the NW states do understand (mostly) that not everyone in California thinks this is a good idea. From the numbers, it looks to me like much of it comes down to almonds. And there, well, it's tough on the almond orchardists, but we went through it with old growth timber. As with whaling long ago, sometimes an industry just runs its course and has to die or contract tremendously.

Don't worry. Such a pipeline would rank on the Oregon popularity and support scale between 'Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh' and 'pouring used oil on the ground.'

Old 04-11-2015, 09:36 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
It's not a new idea. I remember hearing years ago that Oregon was ruminating on sending over billions and billions of gallons to California, I'm surprised California didn't jump at the chance.
Not sure exactly when you are talking about, but I lived in oregon for years. While proposals to ship water to california have existed for a hundred years, those proposals have originated with california, not oregon.

Oregonians fight, sometimes viciously, about water amongst themselves, but I think a serious proposal to move that water out-of-state would unite them pretty darn fast.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:03 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Not sure exactly when you are talking about, but I lived in oregon for years. While proposals to ship water to california have existed for a hundred years, those proposals have originated with california, not oregon.

Oregonians fight, sometimes viciously, about water amongst themselves, but I think a serious proposal to move that water out-of-state would unite them pretty darn fast.
I'm sure the people would unite quickly, but I was referring more to the gov't of Oregon.

I remember reading an article long ago and it mentioned that Oregon could send billions of gallons over daily. Which was astounding enough. Not too long after that that OR dumps billions of water out their reservoir because that one guy peed in it. Thought they should've sold that "contaminated" water to California then, LOL.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:02 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
California came for our electricity during the Enron mess too.

Some are starting to figure out just how well placed Washington State is with regard to beauty and resources. Sending our water to California is not the answer. We think differently when it comes to water. They have one town with eleven golf courses and we, even with all our rain, still use rain barrels.

Town with 11 Golf Courses Is Sucking California Dry - The Daily Beast

California is great but at some point, it's going to have to make choices.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:10 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Hey, USDefault, I know you're in San Diego, my home for over 30 years before moving to western WA. Trust me, this state will not let that happen (water to CA). We are actually in a slight drought here...had normal rainfall, but not enough snow pack in the Cascades & Olympics...just like in the Sierras in CA this winter.

When we moved here, I really respected that in the summer when lawns go brown (and they do), they stay brown, no one is wasting water to green them up, as was my experience in SoCal.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:37 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
That's why I think I'll get along well in Aloverton. I've never lived in Oregon, but I know Oregonians well enough to know the truth of that. I think it's great. When I get there, it'll unite me too.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:45 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Hey, USDefault, I know you're in San Diego, my home for over 30 years before moving to western WA. Trust me, this state will not let that happen (water to CA). We are actually in a slight drought here...had normal rainfall, but not enough snow pack in the Cascades & Olympics...just like in the Sierras in CA this winter.

When we moved here, I really respected that in the summer when lawns go brown (and they do), they stay brown, no one is wasting water to green them up, as was my experience in SoCal.
I was in WA not too long ago. Lovely state, great people. I may be out of here before long, can't take it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington