Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 05:24 PM

46 posts, read 60,475 times

Advertisements

Are there any residents of Washington that are familiar with Tonasket? There just became available a fairly secure position there. My research finds it is small and rural. Any other insights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 11:29 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times
Rural counties in Washington state are basically screwed by the state government. They tend to have a real split between poor and the wealthier residents. Okanogan County is a pretty good county, but it is really hard to overcome the active meddling of the state government.

Half the homes in Okanogan County are owned by people in western Washington. The rich folks move to the Methow Valley, and the blue collar folks from western Washington buy in the Okanogan Valley. So you end up with a blue collar culture with some influence from the Indian Reservation. There was a strong counter-culture community, but those people are ageing and dying out. Depending on YOUR values this might be good or bad.

The County is part of the North Central Regional Library so it has good libraries. Not sure about schools. The local Public Utility District is working on high speed wireless internet in the Methow Valley so I assume it is doing the same in the Tonasket area.

A few years ago, some County folks were talking about a ballot measure that would request Okanogan County to explore splitting from the United States and joining Canada. They even talked about inviting the UN and Jimmy Carter to oversee the election. It never did go very far, but it was pretty funny and telling about Okanogan's relationship to the Federal and State government.

That is the little known secret to Okanogan County. From Tonasket Canada is less than an hour away. The Canadian part of the Okanogan is prosperous with great shopping, lodging, and things to do. When we lived up against the border in Stevens County we would cross the border almost on a weekly basis.

The Canadian part is similar to a combination of Tahoe, Sun Valley, Napa Valley, and other high end communities in the United States rolled into one. It is one of the most desirable areas in Canada to live.

Don't believe people that Okanogan County is isolated and far from any urban areas. They just never cross the border into Canada!!

I see your coming over from Idaho. The fishing and hunting coupled with other outdoor activities is pretty good. Not as good as Idaho, but as good as your going to find in Washington.

Hope this helps......

Old 05-17-2015, 11:49 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
That is the little known secret to Okanogan County. From Tonasket Canada is less than an hour away. The Canadian part of the Okanogan is prosperous with great shopping, lodging, and things to do. When we lived up against the border in Stevens County we would cross the border almost on a weekly basis.

The Canadian part is similar to a combination of Tahoe, Sun Valley, Napa Valley, and other high end communities in the United States rolled into one. It is one of the most desirable areas in Canada to live.

Don't believe people that Okanogan County is isolated and far from any urban areas. They just never cross the border into Canada!!
Sorry, to cut-up your post, but the comment about shopping in Canada must have been from many years ago. Living in Colville, we see many Canadians on a daily basis at my job, and the majority cite the reason for the trip to "The States" is because EVERYTHING is considerably cheaper.

I go to Canada for my kid's swim team, and I certainly notice a higher cost-of-living in towns like Kamloops, Penticton, Trail, Grand Forks, Kelowna, etc., than the cost-of-living in Eastern Washington.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:28 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times
Depends on the exchange rate. Gas is always more expensive. Food is more expensive in Canada.

However, for visiting lodging and restaurants are cheaper when the Canadian dollar is down to 50% level like a few years ago. At current levels...80% it is a push.

Still if your living in Okanogan and want a city vacation I would do the short drive to Kelowna rather than Seattle!!

But your right as a general rule. You can just judge by the number of Canadians in the Wal-Mart in Colville.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:39 PM

Thanks 509 and PS90. I'm new to City-Data and most likely will be new to Tonasket. Funny you mentioned the high-speed wireless internet. The position I'm considering is with Frontier Communications as the Combination Technician. Their areas of service in WA. are geographically spotty but I would be responsible for a large area. I've worked rural areas previously, but the insights you have shared have been valuable. Any other thoughts will be appreciated. I'll never be able to root for UDub though. BSU Bronco's all the way.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idphoneguy View Post
Thanks 509 and PS90. I'm new to City-Data and most likely will be new to Tonasket. Funny you mentioned the high-speed wireless internet. The position I'm considering is with Frontier Communications as the Combination Technician. Their areas of service in WA. are geographically spotty but I would be responsible for a large area. I've worked rural areas previously, but the insights you have shared have been valuable. Any other thoughts will be appreciated. I'll never be able to root for UDub though. BSU Bronco's all the way.
Don't worry about rooting for UW. If you live in Eastern WA, you will need to root for the Coug's, no matter how much they suck.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:48 PM

6,223 posts, read 3,406,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Don't worry about rooting for UW. If you live in Eastern WA, you will need to root for the Coug's, no matter how much they suck.
Tonasket would be a good place to root for the cougs as all dirt roads go from Tonasket to Pullman. Tonasket would also be a good choice if you are part of the witness protection program.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:45 PM

Tonasket would be a good place to root for the cougs as all dirt roads go from Tonasket to Pullman. Tonasket would also be a good choice if you are part of the witness protection program.

I like the rural areas. It's also a very good job. I do get your humor/point. The more I research the surrounding area, I like it more and more. Plus, BSU on satellite with DVR. Do you have Frontier Communications for phone service? Do you like?

Old 05-19-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I definitely agree that there are a few areas to the Northeast of Tonasket that would certainly be the best places in the state if you're into living off-the-grid, for whatever reason. It's a little bit scary driving around in a few spots back there...

Old 05-19-2015, 10:50 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,455,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idphoneguy View Post
When I moved to Boise (I am a loyal Husky), I prepared to despise the Broncos as 'Noisy State.' Then I saw what good fans they were, and that one of the bright spots was living in a Div I-A college football town. And when we hired Petersen, and the overall reaction was to wish him well (and by extension, to wish UW well under him), I admit I melted quite a bit. My experience in Idaho was brief and unhappy, but you can be sure I am rooting for BSU most of the time, this year's opener being the natural exception. Please, whatever you do, beat Fresneck every year. Everyone hates Fresneck. And thanks again for beating Oregon and causing LaGarrett Blount to lose it on national TV--that's a cherished moment. If only that could have led to a complete unraveling of the whole Oregon program, but alas, Kelly pulled it together.

I was living in eastern Washington (Kennewick) when Frontier bought out Verizon's landline and DSL business. I have to say that the transition was bad and the support on the phone was worse. It was so bad I sold my FTR shares. They have probably been upgrading infrastructure, though, so you may not be dealing with as much mess as I remember. Odd outcome: I just moved to Beaverton, where Frontier has fiber, and the tech and service are quite good (albeit expensive). I'm not sure what you'll be dealing with up in Tonasket, but it's in one of the more remote parts of Washington. Like Metaline Falls or Pomeroy, it's just not a place that many people visit. In winter, you're going to have some interesting travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington