Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 04:28 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,532,554 times

Advertisements

Does this mean the drought is over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 09:09 AM

32,662 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Maybe yes, maybe no. Mother Nature does as she pleases.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:24 AM

17 posts, read 12,203 times
Crazy wind storm the other day. I was watching a plastic lawn chair scurry from one side of the yard to the other in frantic tumbles.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:43 AM

983 posts, read 995,955 times
I do hope these storms can melt "the blob" out in the Pacific.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:26 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Meh, these are still just mild rainy days compared to back east.

Drought is still expected to return next year. Going through the strongest El Nino on record now. Though exactly what that means for our weather depends on who you ask it seems.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:08 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,532,554 times
Well, when I can see them, it looks like the snowline on the Olympic Mtns. is pretty low...which is great, as they were devoid of snow from mid-spring of this year. But the wind for the past few days...wow! Currently enjoying a small, brief patch of sun...

Old 11-20-2015, 10:16 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
El Niño threatens to derail Oregon crops | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Despite our recent rainfall, the water shortage continues.

“Snowpack runoff is our biggest contributor to summer stream flows,” hydrologist Scott Oviatt said. “And this year we had very little of that because our middle- and low-elevation snow melted out in February.”

He added: “We’re going into this year with most reservoirs and streams being at less than 30-percent statewide. A lot of sites remain bare that historically have always had snow.”

Oviatt said it will take multiple years to re-establish normal snowpack conditions.

Yeah, but what about all this rain we’ve been getting?

This year’s rain pattern fits one we’ve seen in other strong El Niño years: typical wet fall weather, followed by a drier-than-usual winter.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:45 AM

403 posts, read 681,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
Does this mean the drought is over?
Cliff Mass Weather Blog: How can we be in a drought if there is flooding?

Old 11-20-2015, 10:53 AM

653 posts, read 1,787,301 times
May not be far off on this.. I posted on the Seattle weather forum about the upcoming week involving Thanksgiving.. In short, a respite from the high winds and heavy rain. A chance of snow is a possibility next Tuesday or so for area's down to almost the I-5 corridor. I see maybe an inch of snow possible but if a Puget Sound Convergence Zone sets up, area's around Woodinville to Duvall and Carnation may pick up enough to affect driving. Afterwards, a cold spell where temperatures could fall into the low 20's in the traditionally colder spots and highs only in the 40's. Next good chance of rain is around the December 1-3rd period but could wait until the end of the week.

Further ahead..I'm beginning to think this winter will not be as dry as the last two. We could see some active periods of stormy weather weather for much of December. Potentially January and especially February may feature long stretches of dry and relatively mild weather punctuated by stormy, wet conditions.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:01 AM

653 posts, read 1,787,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I do hope these storms can melt "the blob" out in the Pacific.
I think starting this spring, we should see a gradual alleviation of the temperature anomalies across the northeast Pacific Ocean. These cycles of unusually warm ocean temperatures have been well documented in the past, although this has been one of the longest lasting cycles ever observed. The last time the "blob of warmth" appeared like this was in the late 1950's.

This will eventually pass but it will be interesting to see how climate change may affect (if it will at all) future surges of anomalous warmth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington