Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 03:43 PM

12 posts, read 10,121 times

Advertisements

I think the biggest issue I am going to have to deal with is that I won't be able to find a job in the area where I really like and will have to deal with some sort of city living. I am starting to see how different it is compared to NH. Here, you can live in the boonies but you are only 20 minutes from the city and there are jobs out in the sticks. Plus, I'm not sure how many NH's will fit in WA but it's a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 04:14 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
^^^The biggest problem with finding work on the Peninsula, IMO, is you have to Know Someone. I don't know if that is true in NH where you live, but it's definitely so here. The same families have been here forever & are very cliqueish. If you can secure some kind of job, try to meet some people, and withstand a couple of years of crap jobs with crap wages, you will probably be ok. Be aware that your lose your Hazmat endorsement when you get your Washington CDL...you have to retest & go through TSA clearance again...as I remember, you have to go to Seattle or Tacoma for that.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:19 PM

I'm so shy, so when it comes to networking...I'm terrible unfortunately. I guess I'll just have to put myself out there and get to know the locals. I am aware that I'll lose my hazmat endorsement but I am not worried about it because I know the test and I can pass the background for the tsa again it's just getting a job seems to be the biggest thing. All I have to worry about is paying rent, food and gas. So, I don't need to make a fortune but enough to support myself without stressing every month.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:18 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Hey, you're young & you have a marketable skill...you've been OTR, that's a plus. Mountain Propane was advertising for drivers recently, they're based in Chimicum, a small town near Port Townsend. I think you can apply online.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:46 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Yeah, find the job first, then figure where to live. The great thing is, wherever you live, you won't be far from nature, mountains, water, etc.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:32 AM

Well, I guess it's time for me to start looking more into what job would work best for me

Old 12-06-2015, 10:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There have to be gas stations. Some one is delivering that gasoline. If you've got a truck driver's license, a clean driving record and can pass a security clearance screening, check into driving a tanker truck in the area. KAG probably has that area (Kenan Advantage Group). They are almost always hiring,

I have no idea where the petrol depot is for that area, but probably, you would be stationed close to the depot and then go out and back every day. There's one in Portland and one in Eastern Washington, but there is probably one somewhere near Seattle, but I'm guessing on that.

The area will be using propane, also, and you might be able to get a job delivering propane.
Most of the gasoline is coming from Anacortes. Local trucking jobs are actually scarce, especially in those outlying areas where there are few other jobs. Meanwhile, long haulers are retiring fast now and in great demand, but are based in major cities with manufacturing, ports and airports. For port/airport pickups/deliveries you will need a TWIC card. I would recommend the Kent/Auburn area for the most trucking jobs, they are the center for warehousing in retail and grocery.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:59 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerGirlXO View Post
I'm so shy, so when it comes to networking...I'm terrible unfortunately. I guess I'll just have to put myself out there and get to know the locals. I am aware that I'll lose my hazmat endorsement but I am not worried about it because I know the test and I can pass the background for the tsa again it's just getting a job seems to be the biggest thing. All I have to worry about is paying rent, food and gas. So, I don't need to make a fortune but enough to support myself without stressing every month.
OP, I may be overly optimistic, but I'm hopeful you can find something in trucking on the Peninsula. For one thing, there's some kind of research lab in Sequim (I learned that from this forum) that must need truckers or use a shipping or delivery company on a regular basis, just guessing. And there must be UPS centers around the Oly Pen., or the Kitsap Peninsula, nearby. If you have experience with hazmat transport, I imagine someone in or around Bremerton would find that useful. The gov't military-related installations around the area must have trucking staff. (Federal pension--woohoo!)

However, be aware that those areas are isolated in the sense that to get anywhere, you have to take a ferry. Needless to say, this slows down any transport heading for Seattle. And sometimes the ferry schedule is interrupted by the tide schedule; low tide will result in cancelled ferry service for a few hours. So it's a new factor you'll have to get used to. But I really think your dream is do-able, if you work hard at your job research in the region and allow a little flexibility (including the Kitsap Peninsula in your search, for ex.,)

Good luck, and give us an update, when/if you're successful!

Old 12-06-2015, 02:20 PM

Thank you for being so optimistic! That makes things, even if it's a long shot, seem so much more do-able I'm hoping for this spring or summer...so let's keep our fingers crossed!

Old 12-06-2015, 06:58 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Plan a visit, then see if you can line up some job interviews:

Truck Driving Jobs in Washington State Department, WA | Simply Hired
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington