Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,398 times

Advertisements

Potentially moving to the Olympic Peninsula. Not sure, but trying to figure my options.

Employment would be in Sequim. Port Townsend sounds charming.

If you had a pretty good job in Sequim where would you live or commute from?

Flying out to take a brief look at the place soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 01:43 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
It's doable if you don't mind the drive. Less than 1 hr., more than 1/2 hr. I wouldn't want to do it in pouring rain, but that's just me. I'll be interested to see what others say. Oh, and you should check out some of the other threads on Pt T here. I'm contemplating moving there, but there are issues. Yes, it's charming, but there's a pulp mill on the edge of town that can be a problem. Sequim doesn't have that, and from what I understand, the mill outside of Port Angeles for some reason doesn't produce the foul emissions the Pt T one does. Just a heads-up.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:14 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,256,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrost View Post
Potentially moving to the Olympic Peninsula. Not sure, but trying to figure my options.

Employment would be in Sequim. Port Townsend sounds charming.

If you had a pretty good job in Sequim where would you live or commute from?

Flying out to take a brief look at the place soon.
I would live in Sequim. For too many reasons to list but all of which you can find doing an advanced search on C-D in the Washington forum for both "Sequim" and then for "Port Townsend" and reading the many informative posts. I mention this because that search tool is awesome and that way you won't miss what others have already posted. In case they don't want to repeat themselves or they aren't on C-D right now.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's doable if you don't mind the drive. Less than 1 hr., more than 1/2 hr. I wouldn't want to do it in pouring rain, but that's just me. I'll be interested to see what others say. Oh, and you should check out some of the other threads on Pt T here. I'm contemplating moving there, but there are issues. Yes, it's charming, but there's a pulp mill on the edge of town that can be a problem. Sequim doesn't have that, and from what I understand, the mill outside of Port Angeles for some reason doesn't produce the foul emissions the Pt T one does. Just a heads-up.
I drove from Sequim to PT in good weather and it was a little nervy....high speed traffic on a winding, cliff-side highway with very narrow shoulders in places. Quickly made my "no fun" list.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,734,522 times
If the job is in Sequim, I would live in Sequim. I think Port Townsend is a much happier place but you can still go there on the weekends and move there after you retire if you want.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:56 PM

576 posts, read 2,262,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrost View Post
If you had a pretty good job in Sequim where would you live or commute from
As others have said- Sequim. The reason I'm chiming in beyond them is to mention that where you live may depend somewhat upon where you are actually able to find a home to rent or buy, as the housing market inventory currently here is tight.

Before we built our home in the Sequim area, we lived in Port Angeles. My neighbor there was one of the city engineers for Sequim and commuted back and forth each day. After a few years of this he sold his house in Port Angeles and moved to Sequim. He told me that the trip back and forth to work each day got old real fast and that he was looking forward to living closer to his job.

Live in or near Sequim if your job is there and visit PT as you're so inclined.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
If the job is in Sequim, I would live in Sequim. I think Port Townsend is a much happier place but you can still go there on the weekends and move there after you retire if you want.
That is such an interesting comment, Seacove. We found the people in Sequim very happy. Which helped us to feel happy. Plus there is so much natural beauty in Sequim every direction you look. That made us happy too.

We actually found the waterfront in downtown PT a bit depressing (industrial looking) compared to the natural beauty of the many waterfront areas we visited in Sequim. But that's the only waterfront we saw in PT. I am sure there are more attractive waterfronts to be had in the PT area. And we expected more quaint than we actually experienced from the descriptions of the downtown area. Don't get me wrong...we enjoyed our time in PT. And I know this sounds weird but especially the delish food at the hospital. We met my stepsis there for lunch cause she works there and I'm telling you...that food is way above and beyond your typical hospital food fare!

I guess one views an area as happy or unhappy depending on what makes that individual happy. But if you are referring to the general vibe, we did not see it that way at all. Like I said, interesting.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:02 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,537,858 times
People from PT commute to Sequim & PA all the time. We actually know 2 people who commute from PT to Silverdale, across the Hood Canal Bridge. My spouse commuted from the area to Silverdale for 2 years. There are weather issues, bad drivers, bridge closures, but ppl do it if they have to.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:16 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,718,874 times
Sequim to PT is about 35 miles one way. It is not a bad drive much of the time, but when there are major events in the area, it can be slow. Worse to me is the trees-in-winter-after-heavy-rain-and-wind scenario. Downed trees and blocked roads happen fairly often on the OP.

If I had a job in Sequim, I would try to live in Sequim, but that's because I think 70 miles per day of commuting is a lot.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,316,164 times
Look between Sequim and Port Angeles, where my parents live, between Kitchen-Dick Road (one of my favorite street names) and Deer Park Road, on the mountain side of 101. Another great area is Diamond Point, between Gardiner and Sequim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington