Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 06:08 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times

Advertisements

And I know this sounds weird but especially the delish food at the hospital. We met my stepsis there for lunch cause she works there and I'm telling you...that food is way above and beyond your typical hospital food fare!

This is something I've experienced in several hospitals, Jumpindogs! And I too recall the people being fairly happy in Sequim but I'm not so sure about those living in Port Angeles. But PA is the "big city" on the OP, so, it might've just been my recollections of it being busier and the wind persisting that was annoying, or whatever. I actual love the entire OP, including Forks!

I would live closer to the person's actual work - the drive between PA and Sequim and between PT and Sequim both would really take a toll on me after a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 06:15 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,511 times
Live in Sequim, if that is where your work is.

The drive around discovery bay can be no fun in winter. Black ice is always a major fear factor.

Its not like you already own a home in PT, so no reason to commute. I personally, find the drive to Sequim from Port Townsend more stressful than to Pousbo. Of course the mountains are prettier to Sequim, and the tribal gas station is great.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:16 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
That is such an interesting comment, Seacove. We found the people in Sequim very happy. Which helped us to feel happy. Plus there is so much natural beauty in Sequim every direction you look. That made us happy too.

We actually found the waterfront in downtown PT a bit depressing (industrial looking) compared to the natural beauty of the many waterfront areas we visited in Sequim. But that's the only waterfront we saw in PT. I am sure there are more attractive waterfronts to be had in the PT area. And we expected more quaint than we actually experienced from the descriptions of the downtown area. Don't get me wrong...we enjoyed our time in PT. And I know this sounds weird but especially the delish food at the hospital. We met my stepsis there for lunch cause she works there and I'm telling you...that food is way above and beyond your typical hospital food fare!

I guess one views an area as happy or unhappy depending on what makes that individual happy. But if you are referring to the general vibe, we did not see it that way at all. Like I said, interesting.
Maybe what Seacove means by "a happier place" is that there's more going on in Pt T, especially during the spring-through-early-fall festival season.

Part of the waterfront does look a bit industrial, but it's good industry, vs. bad industry (the mill). They're building boats down there, tending to boats, servicing boats, mostly sailboats (vs. gas guzzlers), which I think is very cool. I really enjoyed hanging around that area, but it helps to be a boat person to appreciate it. Pt T is a great launch point for maritime trips to the San Juans. I think it's a unique location with a lot of potential, but it seems like it's been in sleepy mode for a long time. Maybe this latest growth spurt will kick it awake, in a good way, and some visionary people will finally make some effort to steward the town in a good direction.

Hey, I can dream, can't I? Dreaming is good, it can inspire action.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:39 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
The waterfront having some industrial parts is a good thing, IMO. People do real work there; it is not just a showcase for yachts. Right now all kinds of boats both motorized and nonmotorized, including rowing shells, old-fashioned rowboats, Zodiacs, fishing boats, sailboats small and large, pedalboats, kayaks, and SUPS are welcome. It is obvious that tourists enjoy watching them (I can't count how many times someone has photographed me while I paddle by, and someone actually asked if I would pose for a shot).

I sure hope this love of all boats does not get shoved towards a model of exclusivity, i.e., bigbucks boats for the uberwealthy. The point of the R2AK was to show what could be accomplished by someone with modest means but knowledge, skills, desire, and hard work. That event could easily become something very different.

I don't know about the happiness comment. Frankly, the biggest determinant of how happy people seem, whether in PT or Sequim or anywhere around here for that matter, is whether the sun is shining that day.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:43 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The waterfront having some industrial parts is a good thing, IMO. People do real work there; it is not just a showcase for yachts. Right now all kinds of boats both motorized and nonmotorized, including rowing shells, old-fashioned rowboats, Zodiacs, fishing boats, sailboats small and large, pedalboats, kayaks, and SUPS are welcome. It is obvious that tourists enjoy watching them (I can't count how many times someone has photographed me while I paddle by, and someone actually asked if I would pose for a shot).

I sure hope this love of all boats does not get shoved towards a model of exclusivity, i.e., bigbucks boats for the uberwealthy. The point of the R2AK was to show what could be accomplished by someone with modest means but knowledge, skills, desire, and hard work. That event could easily become something very different.

I don't know about the happiness comment. Frankly, the biggest determinant of how happy people seem, whether in PT or Sequim or anywhere around here for that matter, is whether the sun is shining that day.
Yes, I was lucky that my visit happened to fall during a sunny week, so I left with a good impression of Pt T.

I second everything you said about the waterfront. If people want neat and tidy wharfs full of private yachts, they can go to Pt Hadlock or Ludlow. And if I do move to Pt T, I'm going to get a canoe.
Wish I could get a sailboat, but I guess I'll have to either pay to rent one, or volunteer to crew for people.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:48 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe what Seacove means by "a happier place" is that there's more going on in Pt T, especially during the spring-through-early-fall festival season.

Part of the waterfront does look a bit industrial, but it's good industry, vs. bad industry (the mill). They're building boats down there, tending to boats, servicing boats, mostly sailboats (vs. gas guzzlers), which I think is very cool. I really enjoyed hanging around that area, but it helps to be a boat person to appreciate it. Pt T is a great launch point for maritime trips to the San Juans. I think it's a unique location with a lot of potential, but it seems like it's been in sleepy mode for a long time. Maybe this latest growth spurt will kick it awake, in a good way, and some visionary people will finally make some effort to steward the town in a good direction.

Gotcha. I spose it depends on what makes a person happy. IMO, festivals can be fun for an afternoon here and there but God's gift of amazing natural beauty is everlasting...as long as we take good care of it.

I appreciate the "good" industry aspect and benefits...thanks for pointing that out. And yes...dreaming is very good.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:32 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Gotcha. I spose it depends on what makes a person happy. IMO, festivals can be fun for an afternoon here and there but God's gift of amazing natural beauty is everlasting...as long as we take good care of it.

I appreciate the "good" industry aspect and benefits...thanks for pointing that out. And yes...dreaming is very good.
I think Port Townsend looks look a story book village out of that old TV series Murder She Wrote but there's all ages and even a bit of a hippyish vibe. I also like the nautical vibe or Port Townsend. I have a video on my phone of the town orchestra playing on a side lot on the main road that just makes me laugh. It feels liberal which I like and the shops tend toward the local vs. big box like Sequim. Sequim feels IMO older and more conservative which I associate with grumpy (sorry) and the stores are typical chain stores which it sounds like some posters like and may prefer, which is good, so there are choices. That is no slight to either to either town. I'm really glad for you that you found property you liked.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:35 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times

Right on, R4T!

Old 04-08-2016, 01:47 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I think Port Townsend looks look a story book village out of that old TV series Murder She Wrote but there's all ages and even a bit of a hippyish vibe. I also like the nautical vibe or Port Townsend. I have a video on my phone of the town orchestra playing on a side lot on the main road that just makes me laugh. It feels liberal which I like and the shops tend toward the local vs. big box like Sequim. Sequim feels IMO older and more conservative which I associate with grumpy (sorry) and the stores are typical chain stores which it sounds like some posters like and may prefer, which is good, so there are choices. That is no slight to either to either town. I'm really glad for you that you found property you liked.
Gotcha. Although I will challenge you to reconsider your association of older and conservative with grumpy. That's like saying younger and more liberal is foolish or whatever general derogatory term fits based on a few experiences. It is nice that you apologized though. And for the record, I do not consider younger and more liberal folks foolish.

Sequim has both kinds of stores...the typical chains (cleverly grouped together on the west end of town) and the unique local shops establishing the attractive vibe of the small downtown area. Along with a bunch of other fabulous local shops scattered throughout the Sequim area. I have found that most people on this forum who dislike the chains tend to focus only on Sequim's chains and not recognize Sequim's fine local stores which render a stroll down Washington Street very enjoyable.

And thanks on our property buy. We love it and can't wait to retire there! This morning we had heavy snow and low 40s...a weird phenom in itself...and this afternoon the wind and sun has melted everything. Still very damp and chilly with muddy paws galore. While gorgeous flowers are busting out in Sequim. <sigh>

Old 04-08-2016, 03:25 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Gotcha. Although I will challenge you to reconsider your association of older and conservative with grumpy. That's like saying younger and more liberal is foolish or whatever general derogatory term fits based on a few experiences. It is nice that you apologized though. And for the record, I do not consider younger and more liberal folks foolish.

Sequim has both kinds of stores...the typical chains (cleverly grouped together on the west end of town) and the unique local shops establishing the attractive vibe of the small downtown area. Along with a bunch of other fabulous local shops scattered throughout the Sequim area. I have found that most people on this forum who dislike the chains tend to focus only on Sequim's chains and not recognize Sequim's fine local stores which render a stroll down Washington Street very enjoyable.

And thanks on our property buy. We love it and can't wait to retire there! This morning we had heavy snow and low 40s...a weird phenom in itself...and this afternoon the wind and sun has melted everything. Still very damp and chilly with muddy paws galore. While gorgeous flowers are busting out in Sequim. <sigh>
To be clear, I associate liberal as more fun, less judgmental and more accepting of differences. It does not mean they are younger age-wise. An older hippyish person can be incredibly entertaining, so it's not really to do with age. And I see that much more with Port Townsend than Sequim. But everyone has their own perception. We enjoy Sequim, have stayed in hotels there, eaten there and even gone to the Olympic Game Farm which we found really funny but the car ahead of us was horrified and left quickly, something to do with the buffalo walking up to their car window I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington