Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 11:06 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

I agree with the I-84 route through Oregon, and I especially agree with allowing yourself some scenery-gazing time. Trust us, you'll want to.

Be advised that both I-5 and I-205 in the Portland area can be real bears during commuter times (approx 7-9 am and 4-6 pm). Save your nerves and hang out in a rest area with a picnic and a book. You'll get there about as fast, and in much better emotional shape.

You'll be driving through some gorgeous country whichever way you go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 11:11 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Looks good... Sadly you will miss the HOt Beef Sandwiches @ Farmer's Cafe in Wray, CO that I grew up on. I hear that placed closed years ago. At least you will enjoy Yuma, Otis, and Akron, CO. A fitting good-bye to the great plains.

Not sure why your route lists tolls.... None that I am aware.
Crossing from I-84 to WA 14 over Bridge of the Gods. Should be under $5, IIRC.

OP, be advised that the WA 14 route is steeper crossing the Cascade divide than is I-84. Big rigs do use WA 14 routinely, but far more stay on I-84 all the way to I-205. WA 14 is a 2-lane highway with occasional turnouts/passing lanes. To me, it's about 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. There are more lanes on I-84, and a LOT more people using them. By the time you get this far, you should be used to mountain driving, but if you find yourself still white-knuckling, bite the bullet and stay on I-84. The grade over Cape Horn can be a bit much for some folks. But oh, is it ever spectacular.

Edited to add - here's the index for Washington highway cams. You'll have to look up Oregon's highway cams to see I-84.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/routelist.aspx

Last edited by jacqueg; 05-17-2016 at 11:49 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 11:19 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I agree with the I-84 route through Oregon, and I especially agree with allowing yourself some scenery-gazing time. Trust us, you'll want to.
Yup- we just got back from a couple of days exploring the Columbia Gorge area. I would second (third?) the suggestion of allowing some time to stop and appreciate this area. Heck, even if it's just seeing the falls on the way- most definitely worth it.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Crossing from I-84 to WA 14 over Bridge of the Gods. Should be under $5, IIRC.
Whoops, I didn't notice that detour... Don't do it, unless you are planning to spend the night at my house.

That crossing would be counter-productive and slower unless traffic timing is during that short window, or you don't want to take the rest break mentioned.

Multnomah Falls Lodge has good food, and is a nice place to unwind.

If OP has the time... Stop at Bonneville Dam and enjoy the flowers, salmon, and sturgeon at the adjacent hatchery. Can't do that if he crosses at Bridge of the Gods.

Toll is $0.50 per axle, but they are petitioning to raise it. 2x

Old 05-17-2016, 11:34 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Can't do that if he crosses at Bridge of the Gods.
It's not far at all to double-back though.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Just considering that OP is towing for the first time.
1) SR 14 is curvy and steep over Cape Horn, OP wants flat
2) SR14 is 2 lane, head-on danger, or a lost trailer means death to oncoming traffic. (I do EMT work on that section of road, we don't need any more fatalities than we already have)
3) view is actually better on westbound I 84,,, scenic drives route traffic east bound on SR 14, and west on I 84, many good reasons for that.... Like not having to cross traffic to stop and take pics, or enjoy view. Same wisdom as traveling west coast southbound for safer viewing.
4) fuel / repair services better on I-84

Old 05-17-2016, 01:08 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Yeah, I'd have to join in and say stay in Oregon down the Gorge with a trailer, and cross on I-205. I remember that area before the 205 bridge (a senator from White Salmon pushed it through), and it was a huge pain. SR-14 (WA) is not an ideal place to be pulling a trailer.

Then when you can, and you don't have a trailer to haul, come back down and drive the Washington side from Camas to Umatilla (OR), get off the freeway and go to Wallula Gap. The vistas on the WA side, dry side of the mountains, are just oh-holy-crap lovely. And on the way back, go across at Bridge of the Gods (so you can say you did), so you can take time to go to Vista Point and Multnomah Falls and truly enjoy them without an encumbrance. Hike to the top of Beacon Rock if you like, or to the top of Multnomah, for more great views. It'll all still be there when you get moved in.

Last edited by j_k_k; 05-17-2016 at 01:30 PM..

Old 05-17-2016, 01:26 PM

18 posts, read 17,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Yeah, I'd have to join in and say stay in Oregon down the Gorge with a trailer, and cross on I-205. I remember that area before the 205 bridge (a senator from White Salmon pushed it through), and it was a huge pain. SR-14 (WA) is not an ideal place to be pulling a trailer.
Thanks for all the input! Made the change to get off SR-14.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:35 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoll0 View Post
Thanks for all the input! Made the change to get off SR-14.
Good deal. Locals will thank you, as they will not have to plod along behind a slow vehicle, then make terrifying passing decisions at places a sensible person would not attempt to pass. That is the real problem for a vehicle that will probably be slower: tailgated, then passed, and subjected to having to watch what looks like an impending disaster ahead--over and over. Even if you make regular stops to let people by (the law in WA if you delay five vehicles by slow speed), can't be avoided completely. By staying on a freeway that has passing lanes, everyone goes where they should, no one risks head-ons. Passing spots are common enough on SR-14's eastern portion, then at Bingen (across from Hood River, OR) they become much rarer. To make it worse, the places where you could pull out to let people by not only become uncommon, but due to the winding road, are hard to see until you are upon them and it's too late. You'll be happier this way, so will everyone.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:31 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Don't forget that in Oregon, you mostly cannot pump your own gas. If you want to watch them piddle themselves, make like you're going to try doing it yourself. Brings 'em out flapping their arms and squalling.

If you have never before seen the Columbia Gorge, here's my suggestion: give yourself permission for delays. I first saw it forty-two years ago, having grown up in Kansas and Colorado to that point, and it was a stunner. In your four hours along it, you'll go from high desert to near-rainforest. A person's first ride down the Gorge should not be hurried.

In Oregon, know that law enforcement is very strict, especially for out-of-state tags. Speeding is probably not the issue with your trailer, but I'd make special effort to use my turn signals and such. My very first traffic stop ever was in The Dalles, for supposedly not using my turn signal. In Oregon, in particular, at any point where it's obvious that people will tend to exceed the limit--I'm talking going down steep hills, comically low limit situations, or when you are past all the actual construction but not formally past the construction zone--assume there is a speed trap right where almost everyone would tend to speed. It's evil.

Be glad you ain't doing this in winter. As you probably also know, that would be a for-real adventure, and this question would be one of potential safety rather than convenience.
That was interesting and informative, and heck I've lived in WA near two decades.

Caused a ruckus pumping my own gas in OR a year or three ago. Would have been funny, if not so sad. Eh, I figured out later: their nest, their eggs. Everyone needs to feel useful.

Being a flatlander as a youth, but well-traveled thanks to adventurous parents, I knew what "the West" was like, at least in short visits. Rather, I knew the SW Montana portion, where my dad liked to camp. While spectacular, I think the splendor of the Cascades meets or surpasses some of that, too, due to sheer ruggedness and violent weather. Yes, OP should really slow down the drive for that. Quoted post sure gets that right. Reminds me of California: on Hwy 101 one can go from rain forest and giant sequoias next to the ocean to semi-arid Med climate in just a few hours. Few more hours, you're in Yosemite. Go south, a blasted desert right out of Mad Max. WA has at least some of that going on, too. The massiveness of "the West"...mountains to the Pacific... is a lot of the appeal to me, actually.

OR is on a terror in terms of tickets. I call it cost of doing business when I roll through the state, being a bit pessimistic. There was no fighting it, either. I'd almost expect to be pulled over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington