Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 02:04 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. You're the one from California, not I.
Yep, & you're the CA hater. Thanks for having the time to research my old posts.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:07 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Yep, & you're the CA hater. Thanks for having the time to research my old posts.
Who said I hate CA? But it is funny that it's actually you that's from CA and apparently misses it.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:21 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
^^^Have a nice day, Seacove...

Old 05-18-2016, 02:35 PM

10 posts, read 14,825 times
Quote:
Montana is ranked #5 in gun deaths per capita and the charts are clearly marked as such. And as uncomfortable as you may find it, The rankings show that red states as a group are higher than blue states. Saying we are better than Venezuela and Brazil? That sounds like a desperate comparison.
Desparate? No. Just a comparison. The U.S. has 3.8 homicides per 100,000 people, Brazil has 25 per 100,000 and Venezuela has more than 50 per 100,000. Remove inner-city black on black crime (once again, not your typical open carry right-wing voters) and our rate would be somewhere around 1.7 per 100,000, despite having more guns per capita than any country in the world. That is a rate that compares with The truth is, despite all of our guns, we are a remarkably civil society, minus you liberal city-dwellers, that is.

Red states are higher in "gun deaths" which includes suicide. It stands to reason that if someone who intends to kill themselves and has access to a gun, that person might opt for using the gun versus some other method, does it not? Remove suicide from the equation and consider only intentional homicide and your lil ole map will look starkly different. Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of homicides occur in cities, most of which are predominantly populated by high-horse riding liberals like yourself.

In the meantime, back to your apparent notion that you're likely to be shot in a red state versus a blue state, the only statistics that are relevant should be violent crime, not suicide and not accidental shootings. Suicide outnumbers homicide by more than a 2 to 1 margin. I actually can admit that rates gun suicides and accidental shootings are far higher in states that have higher gun ownership because that's what the statistics say....for instance, Wyoming was #5 in 2013 for overall gun deaths but #4 in suicide. Remove the suicides and there is nothing remarkable whatsoever about its gun homicide rate and it ranks right next to Washington state in the bottom half of the list.

Your argument is still destroyed. Keep trying though. We'll give you a participation trophy for it!

Old 05-18-2016, 02:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
And I, as a gun owner (does that make me your "gun advocate"?), do not care one iota whether you like guns or not.
Quote:
You're not my anything, you don't even live here, you live in Wisconsin.
Quote:
But I am a WA property owner, pay WA property tax (thus pay for WA public schools, fire protection, libraries, parks and recreation, etc) and will live "here" soon. However, perhaps I misunderstood you. You're now saying that only gun advocates who reside in WA want everyone to love guns as much as they do? Or that you don't care at all whether gun advocates in other states want everyone to love guns as much as they do? Otherwise I can't see how my current state of residence matters to the discussion of this undeniably national issue and your claim that "Gun advocates really want everyone to love guns as much as they do." My state of residence obviously means a great deal to you since you underlined your comment for emphasis. Hmmmm.
Quote:
This began as a response to someone asking how guns are received in Western Washington. I responded. Several from Eastern Washington predictably responded plus a couple from small Western WA towns like the one last night from Rochester. I said I find the person that needs a gun everywhere they go unstable (I also highlighted the gentleman that brought a gun to a movie theater because guns and a stupid texting argument resulted in a father's death, which will probably be excused because Stand Your Ground = fear of popcorn). I posted states by gun ownership and gun deaths by state. The OP was from Montana so I highlighted Montana. I'm sure we will get responses from other states because guns. It doesn't change the statistics which show states with higher gun ownership typically result in higher gun deaths.
Thanks for the partial synopsis of your comments but you didn't answer my questions nor address the reason for your comment/emphasis when you wrote " you don't even live here,".

That's OK...some questions are hard to answer.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the partial synopsis of your comments but you didn't answer my questions nor address the reason for your comment/emphasis when you wrote " you don't even live here,".

That's OK...some questions are hard to answer.
Perhaps I should be more remedial in my answer. The OP asked how Western Washington people felt about guns. Do you live in Western Washington? No, you do not. You live in Wisconsin. If the OP wanted to know how Wisconsin feels about guns, you would be a great person to ask and we now know you love your guns madly.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegan View Post
Desparate? No. Just a comparison. The U.S. has 3.8 homicides per 100,000 people, Brazil has 25 per 100,000 and Venezuela has more than 50 per 100,000. Remove inner-city black on black crime (once again, not your typical open carry right-wing voters) and our rate would be somewhere around 1.7 per 100,000, despite having more guns per capita than any country in the world. That is a rate that compares with The truth is, despite all of our guns, we are a remarkably civil society, minus you liberal city-dwellers, that is.

Red states are higher in "gun deaths" which includes suicide. It stands to reason that if someone who intends to kill themselves and has access to a gun, that person might opt for using the gun versus some other method, does it not? Remove suicide from the equation and consider only intentional homicide and your lil ole map will look starkly different. Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of homicides occur in cities, most of which are predominantly populated by high-horse riding liberals like yourself.

In the meantime, back to your apparent notion that you're likely to be shot in a red state versus a blue state, the only statistics that are relevant should be violent crime, not suicide and not accidental shootings. Suicide outnumbers homicide by more than a 2 to 1 margin. I actually can admit that rates gun suicides and accidental shootings are far higher in states that have higher gun ownership because that's what the statistics say....for instance, Wyoming was #5 in 2013 for overall gun deaths but #4 in suicide. Remove the suicides and there is nothing remarkable whatsoever about its gun homicide rate and it ranks right next to Washington state in the bottom half of the list.
You are saying the red state gun deaths are due to SUICIDE? Okay, that's definitely new, do you have that in a data form? I think any gun death is pertinent to the statistics because when a gun is around, someone is more likely to get shot. That includes accidents, shot by accidental gun cleaning, child riding in car picks up loaded weapon, etc. the person is still shot and/or killed. And your argument that gun deaths are more likely in cities or in blue states is simply wrong. It's wrong. Blue states tend to have more gun laws and states with more gun laws tend to have fewer gun deaths. Go figure.

The States With The Most Gun Laws See The Fewest Gun-Related Deaths - The Atlantic

Check out that last chart on Concealed Carry. Look at the homicides per 100,000 and see the red states vs. the blue states. I do believe homicide is murder, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Gun laws, front license plates, & race ways-guns-top-chart-1203-opencarryupd.png   Gun laws, front license plates, & race ways-background-checks-1018.png   Gun laws, front license plates, & race ways-concealed-carry.png  

Last edited by Seacove; 05-18-2016 at 03:15 PM..

Old 05-18-2016, 03:07 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Blue states tend to have more gun laws and states with more gun laws tend to have fewer gun deaths. Go figure.

The States With The Most Gun Laws See The Fewest Gun-Related Deaths - The Atlantic
So now it's state with the most gun laws having the fewest deaths. Have we now officially moved from the states having the lowest overall gun ownership having the fewest deaths?

Just trying to follow the bouncing ball here.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
So now it's state with the most gun laws having the fewest deaths. Have we now officially moved from the states having the lowest overall gun ownership having the fewest deaths?

Just trying to follow the bouncing ball here.
I know, it's hard. If you read the posts, it might help. I was responding to someone disputing the red state vs. blue state statistics in gun deaths. Typically it is blue states that have more gun laws.

Gun violence and drug abuse are often presumed to go together, but we found no association between illegal drug use and death from gun violence at the state level. While it is commonly assumed that mental illness or stress levels trigger gun violence, we found no association between gun violence and the proportion of neurotic personalities in any given state.

Some might assume gun violence would be higher in states with higher levels of unemployment and higher levels of inequality. But, again, we found no evidence of any such association with either of these variables.

We did find several factors that are associated with firearm deaths at the state level. On the economic front, gun violence was higher in states with lower average incomes. Similarly, gun violence was less likely in states with more college graduates and stronger knowledge-based economies. Gun violence was also higher in states that tend to vote Republican.

The Geography of Gun Violence - CityLab

Old 05-18-2016, 03:18 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
I know, it's hard. If you read the posts, it might help.
Actually, that was the source of the trouble.

Your postings have been all over the place. I'm just attempting to follow what your current assertion is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington