Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 08:59 AM

35 posts, read 41,341 times

Advertisements

Thank you to most of you, you've answered my questions and helped me out. I can understand how hypersensitive Seacove feels about being afraid of guns; some of my in-laws that live up here in Montana are super freaked out by guns. I have to laugh sometimes when an OP asks a question, and someone pulls out the political card about certain things *guns.* It is what it is.

Thanks again to those of you who really answered my questions

Rachel

Old 05-18-2016, 09:01 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Nope, not at all.

Apparently you missed the fact that I wasn't being facetious in what I said. Since you missed it, I'll say it again-- if you are concerned about being out and about in the world with people who might be legally carrying guns, you might want to live in NYC. Of course, you still have to deal with a place where there is, on average, about one homicide per day, but hey, at least there won't be as many people legally carrying guns as you order your deli meat.
New York is not even in the top 20 for homicides by state:

Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center

Louisiana
Mississippi
Missouri
South Carolina
Maryland
Nevada
Delaware
Florida
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee
Alaska
Arkansas
Michigan
Illinois
North Carolina
Indiana
New Mexico
Pennsylvania
Arizona
Oklahoma

Old 05-18-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reichilu View Post
Thank you to most of you, you've answered my questions and helped me out. I can understand how hypersensitive Seacove feels about being afraid of guns; some of my in-laws that live up here in Montana are super freaked out by guns. I have to laugh sometimes when an OP asks a question, and someone pulls out the political card about certain things *guns.* It is what it is.

Thanks again to those of you who really answered my questions

Rachel
Your in-laws might be aware that they and you live in one of the highest "death by gun" states in the country. How laughable that is, just so funny.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:12 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,017,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
New York is not even in the top 20 for homicides by state:
I was speaking solely about New York City- obviously there's a lot more to the state than just the five boroughs of NYC.

That chart you referenced is very interesting though. There are states which are far down on the list that have high numbers of concealed carry permit holders-- so, apparently there really isn't a direct correlation between the numbers of concealed permit carriers and murder rates (at least according to what you've cited).

Unless, of course, you wish to argue that the chart you cited, which puts Washington State and Utah at 37 and 42, respectively, is wrong.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I was speaking solely about New York City- obviously there's a lot more to the state than just the five boroughs of NYC.

That chart you referenced is very interesting though. There are states which are far down on the list that have high numbers of concealed carry permit holders-- so, apparently there really isn't a direct correlation between the numbers of concealed permit carriers and murder rates (at least according to what you've cited).

Unless, of course, you wish to argue that the chart you cited, which puts Washington State and Utah at 37 and 42, respectively, is wrong.
You are the one that said that New York has a "murder a day" so not carrying a gun is such a risk. Except New York has fewer guns, fewer gun deaths and fewer murders. The OP's state, Montana, has a surprisingly high number of gun deaths for such a small population.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
You are the one that said that New York has a "murder a day" so not carrying a gun is such a risk. Except New York has fewer guns, fewer gun deaths and fewer murders. The OP's state, Montana, has a surprisingly high number of gun deaths for such a small population.
I said no such thing.

I said New York CITY has, on average, a murder a day. And I never said that not carrying a gun was a huge risk.

Also, there are plenty of concealed carry permit holders in the rest of New York State. It's simply that a NYC carry permit is separate from the permit that would apply in the rest of the state- and that is the number that I cited.

Do you know how many guns there are in New York State? I'd love to see the number if you have it.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I said no such thing.

I said New York CITY has, on average, a murder a day. And I never said that not carrying a gun was a huge risk.

Also, there are plenty of concealed carry permit holders in the rest of New York State. It's simply that a NYC carry permit is separate from the permit that would apply in the rest of the state- and that is the number that I cited.

Do you know how many guns there are in New York State? I'd love to see the number if you have it.
You mean as a percentage of population? Only 10% of New Yorkers have a gun. Washington it's 27%, Montana it's 52%. In fact, if you look at the number of guns per capita, it looks a lot like the number of guns deaths by state.

Gun ownership by state - Business Insider

The Geography of Gun Violence - CityLab
Attached Thumbnails
Gun laws, front license plates, & race ways-gun-ownership-study-state-map.png   Gun laws, front license plates, & race ways-gundeaths-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Seacove; 05-18-2016 at 09:58 AM..

Old 05-18-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
In fact, if you look at the number of guns per capita, it looks a lot like the number of guns deaths by state.
We must be looking at two different charts- I don't see any real correlation with the one you cited here.

And, just for the sake of clarity, I've been speaking about carry permits, not overall gun ownership. Two completely different animals. But, regardless, this map shows no real correlation between percent of gun ownership and gun deaths- unless, of course, you take states like Minnesota, the Dakotas, Iowa, Oregon, Vermont, Massachusetts, Utah, Wisconsin, Hawaii, Washington and Idaho out of the conversation. I'm sure they won't mind a bit.

But, really, keep on keeping on.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
We must be looking at two different charts- I don't see any real correlation with the one you cited here.

And, just for the sake of clarity, I've been speaking about carry permits, not overall gun ownership. Two completely different animals. But, regardless, this map shows no real correlation between percent of gun ownership and gun deaths- unless, of course, you take states like Minnesota, the Dakotas, Iowa, Oregon, Vermont, Massachusetts, Utah, Wisconsin, Hawaii, Washington and Idaho out of the conversation. I'm sure they won't mind a bit.

But, really, keep on keeping on.
I added a map of gun deaths for your viewing pleasure.

"We did find several factors that are associated with firearm deaths at the state level. On the economic front, gun violence was higher in states with lower average incomes. Similarly, gun violence was less likely in states with more college graduates and stronger knowledge-based economies. Gun violence was also higher in states that tend to vote Republican."

Old 05-18-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I added a map of gun deaths for your viewing pleasure.

"We did find several factors that are associated with firearm deaths at the state level. On the economic front, gun violence was higher in states with lower average incomes. Similarly, gun violence was less likely in states with more college graduates and stronger knowledge-based economies. Gun violence was also higher in states that tend to vote Republican."

From your cited article:

There were 10.3 deaths by firearms per 100,000 people in Colorado in 2008, exactly the same as the national average. Gun deaths were highest in Alaska (20.9 per 100,000) and lowest in Hawaii (3.1 per 100,000).

Gun deaths are lowest in Hawaii, where there is 45.1 percent gun ownership, according to the other map you provided.

Quote:
In fact, if you look at the number of guns per capita, it looks a lot like the number of guns deaths by state.
Apparently not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington